Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Major late September schedule changes  (Read 98088 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Major late September schedule changes
« Reply #285 on: October 26, 2014, 10:36:48 PM »
Forgive what will sound like piling on and gird your loins for the inevitable backlash, but how does GSN" act like" something is someone's first game show appearance? Are they billing it as such on ads or bumpers?

I'd forgive them for not remembering every single appearance that somebody made but I'm also not most people.
Travis L. Eberle

snowpeck

« Reply #286 on: October 26, 2014, 11:21:13 PM »
Forgive what will sound like piling on and gird your loins for the inevitable backlash, but how does GSN" act like" something is someone's first game show appearance? Are they billing it as such on ads or bumpers?

I'd forgive them for not remembering every single appearance that somebody made but I'm also not most people.
Yes, they have been promoting it that way. They've also said it's the first time Crosswits has aired anywhere in 20 years, which we've already said isn't the case in this very thread (though I guess 16 is kind of close.)
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #287 on: October 26, 2014, 11:21:55 PM »
Came off like you were demanding GSN get them.

I really didn't see that at all.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #288 on: October 26, 2014, 11:48:25 PM »
I just remembered that they touted Billy Crystal's appearance on All-Star Secrets in June 1979 as his first game show appearance, when he had been previously been on two different weeks of The $20,000 Pyramid, one of which aired on GSN in the past. But like Brandon said, "who cares".

Anyways, I enjoyed both Crosswits episodes. I even found myself playing along with the game. Though I don't if GSN could get anymore "Celebrity GS firsts". This will probably be their last.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #289 on: October 26, 2014, 11:50:52 PM »
I've only seen a few episodes of both versions of the show, but I noticed the celebrities would often attempt to act witty and funny, before actually attempting to guess the correct answer. When original creator Ralph Edwards helmed the program during the 1970's, did he want comedy in it?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #290 on: October 26, 2014, 11:53:57 PM »

Yes, they have been promoting it that way. They've also said it's the first time Crosswits has aired anywhere in 20 years, which we've already said isn't the case in this very thread (though I guess 16 is kind of close.)

But what network doesn't do that? They're gonna say whatever they feel is going to get eyeballs on the product and those who are interested will watch and those who aren't will find something else to watch.

Like all those "new" episodes of off-network stuff Adult Swim gets, or at least most of them. I believe they did air some episodes of The Oblongs and Mission Hill that didn't make it to air before those two shows were cancelled, off the tippy top of my head. But most of those episodes are just new stuff added to the already existing package.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #291 on: October 27, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »
When original creator Ralph Edwards helmed the program during the 1970's, did he want comedy in it?
Since we're not Ralph we can't say for sure but I'm guessing that the celebrities were there to be famous and charming and to help out and to talk through their guess for each word because they could have two people playing the game, or related pairs and they don't have to pay scale to four celebrities who have a movie or TV show to plug.

/I guess Ralph did steer the running of the program, didn't he.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #292 on: October 27, 2014, 11:56:04 AM »
I just remembered that they touted Billy Crystal's appearance on All-Star Secrets in June 1979 as his first game show appearance, when he had been previously been on two different weeks of The $20,000 Pyramid, one of which aired on GSN in the past. But like Brandon said, "who cares".

Frankly, I do, and I don't begrudge others who care as well.  I don't like that we've gotten so lax as a society that we can just state "facts" and not worry about whether they're true.  (And I'm not even talking about political ads, which are a different issue entirely.)  If GSN is calling these appearances "first" and they're not, that's simply wrong, and shouldn't happen.  There are plenty of amateur historians, including at least two I know that work for the company, who could set them straight, plus I imagine IMDB has it right.  GSN either knew they were wrong and didn't care, since most of their audience wouldn't know, or they were lazy and didn't check.  Either way. it makes me think less of them.

/Not as much, though as when I see the banners saying that more Family Feud's (yes, apostrophe 's') are coming up.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #293 on: October 27, 2014, 12:15:24 PM »
I just remembered that they touted Billy Crystal's appearance on All-Star Secrets in June 1979 as his first game show appearance, when he had been previously been on two different weeks of The $20,000 Pyramid, one of which aired on GSN in the past.
It's even more facepalm-inducing since the "50 Greatest Game Shows" series aired an episode from the Crystal/Sal Viscuso week that had Dick showing the clip of Billy's 26-second Winner's Circle run from late '77, and Bil Dwyer noted that the episode said clip came from no longer existed.

/Not as much, though as when I see the banners saying that more Family Feud's (yes, apostrophe 's') are coming up.
Hey, at least it's not "Family Fued's". :)
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #294 on: October 28, 2014, 08:58:49 AM »
Just FYI--Matt's ep airs one week from today.  Be there.  Aloha.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #295 on: October 29, 2014, 07:16:25 AM »
And along with that, GSN's put out their advance schedules for November 10-16.

Sale's going into Season 2. :)
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

rwalker

« Reply #296 on: October 29, 2014, 01:06:18 PM »

AWESOME!

JonSea31

« Reply #297 on: October 29, 2014, 06:37:42 PM »

Plus, Christmas week 1985 of Press Your Luck is a go.  I think the way things are going on the Press Your Luck front, I think we will likely be starting the 1986 era of the series before Thanksgiving.  And I think we will likely be seeing the GSN debuts of the Willie Nelson, Barbershop Quartet, Bicycle, Ben Franklin, and/or Liberace Whammies before we enter December.
I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.

JonSea31

« Reply #298 on: October 29, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »
Do they know about The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour?

Where are the original master tapes for MGHS?

I think I remember someone mentioning on Facebook one time that the issue is not just involving ownership conflict, but also Gene Rayburn's refusal to clear his appearances due to his bad relationship with Jon Bauman, and I am sure Gene's estate is respecting his wishes.  Could someone please clarify?
I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #299 on: October 29, 2014, 06:49:41 PM »
It's been often claimed that the reason USA skipped over most of the December 1985 episodes of Press Your Luck was due to the promoting of the timeslot change. If that's actually true, then that's a pretty illogical reason. USA had no problem airing the episodes of Scrabble with Chuck Woolery promoting the timeslot change.

I wouldn't be surprised if USA also skipped the December 16-20, 1985 episodes of PYL. There had been no information on them in older episode guides. But all that will change within the next several days.