Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Major late September schedule changes  (Read 98099 times)

tvmitch

Re: Major late September schedule changes
« Reply #255 on: October 20, 2014, 11:53:34 AM »
Doubt it would've made any difference. No one outside of this board would realize the difference between the Lifetime, Family Channel* or PAX versions. They more likely would've said, "Oh, hey it's that cheesy game show from the 90s set in a mall! I remember this one..." Mark's right; this one sounds like a personal fan gripe.

*/Even if it WAS called The New Shop Til You Drop
I'm as big a fan of the genre as the next guy but I couldn't identify the differences between STYD versions at all. You would have had me there.
You should follow me on Twitter

BrandonFG

« Reply #256 on: October 20, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »
And that's exactly what I mean. They could've aired any version of the show - even the Costco version with J.D. Roberto - and people either would've watched it or not. The network it aired on wouldn't have made the slightest difference. Outside of subtle cosmetic differences, I wouldn't be able to tell too many differences either, except for maybe music or announcer changes.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #257 on: October 20, 2014, 12:28:17 PM »
Your personal wants and needs do not equal solid business strategy.
She didn't stake the claim that they were, though if you get enough "personal wants and needs" to dump a cable tier, it suddenly becomes an unsolid business strategy.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:36:21 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #258 on: October 20, 2014, 12:30:45 PM »
Your personal wants and needs do not equal solid business strategy.
She didn't stake the claim that they were, though if you get enough "personal wants and needs" to dump a cable tier, it suddenly becomes an unsolid business strategy.
[/quote]She certainly implied it by stating she "knew" they should have aired earlier episodes thereby keeping it on the schedule.

Almost every time someone comes on here and complains about about a particular season of a classic airing on GSN its usually derived from something they personally want to see.  Unless its something egregious they usually don't hold much merit.
/lol Seahawks
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #259 on: October 20, 2014, 12:40:46 PM »
Interesting, because the tone of your post comes off as mocking rather than informing, and when you couple that with the off-topic throwaway it sounds like you were attempting to poke fun at someone rather than to explain your side of an issue.  (And frankly I've heard plenty enough of your thoughts on economics, but that's another issue entirely.)

/is that what "Get over it Seattle" is supposed to mean? Because it makes no sense at all standing by itself.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #260 on: October 20, 2014, 02:30:05 PM »
/lol Seahawks

Yep, the Seahawks lost. And you're Mark Odor.

They can practice.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #261 on: October 20, 2014, 04:49:45 PM »
/lol Seahawks

They can practice.

Ouch.

And also, Mark was a blocked field goal away from being "lol Pats"...if the Jets had a legit QB. But I digress.

Here's the thing: if people want to watch the show, they'll watch it. There was virtually no difference between the Lifetime series, the Family Channel series, and the first PAX series. And this is the one part of Mark's statement I agreed with (and Tammy's statement did imply that she felt the original would've performed better): just because we want to see something doesn't mean GSN is going to listen to us. If they did, the schedule would be nothing but classics and that can get a little boring. Gotta have a little variety. (Although handing over most of the schedule to the current Feud isn't really variety.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #262 on: October 20, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »
If they did, the schedule would be nothing but classics and that can get a little boring. Gotta have a little variety.
I beg your pardon, sir. :)

/and yes, the Harvey Feud-a-thons undercut the idea of variety, unless you meant it in a time-oriented fashion as opposed to a single day or week schedule fashion.

As the series went on, STYD relied more on "get four out of seven right" and "is this thing $x or $y" chromed up in yet another fashion, and the games felt much more repetitive than in they did in the early days. Yes, the head-mounted vacuum game looked weird, but no moreso than anything Beat the Clock did, and it made for a nice change of pace from games about pop culture and shopping.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #263 on: October 20, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »
/lol Seahawks

They can practice.
And you're Chris Lemon.  I hear Olivia Benson has some job openings for detectives.
/is that what "Get over it Seattle" is supposed to mean? Because it makes no sense at all standing by itself.
It means I think its high time that people got the hell over losing the Sonics to Oklahoma City.  Plenty of y'all seem to be salty about that years after the fact.  Maybe some of that energy could be used to elect politicians that won't help lead to this country going down the tubes.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #264 on: October 20, 2014, 05:59:02 PM »
It means I think its high time that people got the hell over losing the Sonics to Oklahoma City.
Oh. Well, tough.

Plenty of y'all seem to be salty about that years after the fact.  Maybe some of that energy could be used to elect politicians that won't help lead to this country going down the tubes.
I'm doing the best I can; King County sent me only one ballot.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #265 on: October 20, 2014, 06:09:59 PM »
It means I think its high time that people got the hell over losing the Sonics to Oklahoma City.  Plenty of y'all seem to be salty about that years after the fact.
I'm going to break this down into a much simpler scenario. You're prolly going to dismiss it as apples and oranges, but I guarantee you it's more similar than you think.

I steal your girlfriend...the love of your life. Someone you gave your all too. She and I get married, have kids, and live happily ever after. And I rub your nose in it by broadcasting it everywhere I can. Tell me you wouldn't be salty about that? Now, liken that to Seattle's situation and see how telling someone to "get the hell over" being betrayed and lied to is not only not as easy as you think, but also condescending as hell. You have this tendency to play Armchair Judge, where you love trying to police how people get to feel and look down your nose because they don't live up to your seal of approval.

Putting this back on a pro sports level, the city of Baltimore is still pissed about losing the Colts 30 years ago, and they've had a new team for the last two decades. Said team's won Super Bowls* and they're still upset about the way the team was taken from them. Hell, my city's been used as a pawn about a half-dozen times**, mainly for leverage deal to get a better arena/stadium in the team's home city, and I'm pissed over that!

Should we just get the hell over it? Yeah, they've got rings, but you don't think the dirty pool is not still fresh in their minds?

Maybe some of that energy could be used to elect politicians that won't help lead to this country going down the tubes.
This has nothing to do with anything. Leave your politics out of the discussion, for once.

*Leave Ray Lewis out of the discussion. We know his story.
**Eff the Maloofs
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #266 on: October 20, 2014, 06:15:24 PM »
Gentlemen:

We are blowing up one very small "lol Seahawks" from a very small man into a very big thing.

I suggest we leave it alone and let the small man be small.

/small
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #267 on: October 21, 2014, 01:36:48 AM »
Let's not forget Baltimore resolved having their team taken from them by stealing another city's team.

But Brandon does make a very legit point. Unless you've been there, you don't understand. And if you don't understand, you can't simply say "just get over it" and be okay. There's stuff I'm not over in my life, especially the fact that there's a guy in prison serving four years for murdering someone all because he was high on dope and late for his treatment.

That's all I'm gonna say about it. Perhaps getting on topic is the best way to proceed.

(ETA: but before I do...

And you're Chris Lemon.  I hear Olivia Benson has some job openings for detectives.

I don't get it.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:59:05 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #268 on: October 22, 2014, 10:25:19 AM »
The advance schedule's now up for November 3-9, and the Sale and Press leases are still going strong with no skips. :)

Relevant quote:
Wait, GSN has access to the first syndicated season of Sale of the Century? Oh, lordy, this could be embarrassing...
Mark your calendars for November 4! :D

(EDIT: That's all correct, Vahan.)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:43:50 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #269 on: October 22, 2014, 10:31:59 AM »
According to the people I heard from on Chuck Donegan's Facebook page, who said they have the finale of the first Syndicated season, it ended with Tim Holleran's first of 8 shows. His 2nd-8th games were the first 7 shows of season 2.

The cash jackpot on Matt Ottinger's episode was $78,000, and $83,000-$90,000 on Tim Holleran's episodes.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 12:22:23 AM by Vahan_Nisanian »