Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Major late September schedule changes  (Read 99171 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

Re: Major late September schedule changes
« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2014, 11:03:57 AM »
While we all yearn for a GSN of the past (even one that shows Eubanks Newlywed Game 7x per day), having anything at all is a thrill.

Do not speak for everyone. Not everyone wants a GSN of the past.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #241 on: October 15, 2014, 11:08:46 AM »

Of all of the "do not speak for everyones" I have seen, uttered, and otherwise been involved with, this one seems the least appropriate. I literally cannot think of a single era of GSN programming (and we're going back to Day One) that wouldn't appeal to someone here, or at the absolute MINIMUM be considered superlative to 48 hours a week of Steve Harvey's Dick Jokes.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #242 on: October 15, 2014, 11:10:36 AM »
And what I find hypocritical is all the "Fun for the Whole Family" promos GSN would run.

When I think of something that is "Fun for the Whole Family", I do not think of, like you said, Steve Harvey's dirty jokes.

clemon79

« Reply #243 on: October 15, 2014, 12:07:03 PM »
And what I find hypocritical is all the "Fun for the Whole Family" promos GSN would run.

What does that have to do with your "do not speak for everyone" statement?

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #244 on: October 15, 2014, 12:07:41 PM »
Nothing. It was in response to you saying something about Harvey's dick jokes.

clemon79

« Reply #245 on: October 15, 2014, 12:10:54 PM »
Um, ok then.

BrandonFG

« Reply #246 on: October 15, 2014, 12:41:13 PM »
While we all yearn for a GSN of the past (even one that shows Eubanks Newlywed Game 7x per day), having anything at all is a thrill.

He can speak for me then. This era is better than what they were offering c. 2000-01, but I could do without the constant airings of Phallic Pheud just like I could've done without the numerous airings of Newlywed Game back then.

I know it will never be perfect to my preferences, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few more offerings from about 15 years ago. No need to play Forum Police.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #247 on: October 15, 2014, 12:44:45 PM »
And this is why it is dangerous to repeat memes when they may not be applicable.

He can speak for me then. This era is better than what they were offering c. 2000-01, but I could do without the constant airings of Phallic Pheud just like I could've done without the numerous airings of Newlywed Game back then.

I know it will never be perfect to my preferences, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few more offerings from about 15 years ago. No need to play Forum Police.
2000-01 was when we had some decent originals, lots of the good old stuff. Yes, we have The Chase, but we also have Baggage and Love Triangle and innumerable poorly-thought and soon-to-be-gone programs, and quite a lot of Inappropriate Feud.

There's a reason I'm not in a hurry to sign up for the higher tier again even with Sale of the Century on in the mornings.

(Edit: Changed "tie" to "tier.")
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:19:12 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #248 on: October 15, 2014, 01:14:15 PM »
Summer 2002 was one of my favorite eras for the network, outside of the first five years. It was a nice mix of solid originals, the "Breakfast with the Stars" marathons, and evening marathons (Loved Pyramid Thursdays!). What we have now is okay, but like you said, not enough to get me to subscribe.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #249 on: October 15, 2014, 02:19:42 PM »
The Chase all by itself pardons a LOT of GSN sins, and Idiotest is turning into a fun goof.  Like the majority of us here, I don't care for the relationship shows, but they are competently made.  Thanks to the phenomenon of DVR default, I find myself turning on the TV and finding it tuned to GSN a lot now, and that hasn't happened in a long time.

Yes, an overreliance on one consistent performer is lazy programming (ALL DAY on Saturday?  Really?), but when you want to stay in the top 50 of a 500 channel universe, it's a necessary evil.  They still give us fun classics in the morning, and even though the first effort of the Time Capsule seems to have been watched by a statistically insignificant number of people, it's a nice thing to do for the fans and they don't appear to have entirely given up on it.  This is not a bad time at all for GSN.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

aaron sica

« Reply #250 on: October 15, 2014, 02:43:47 PM »
It's also important to remember that GSN is nearly 20 years old - by comparison's sake, when the channel launched, episodes of MG '74 were themselves 20 years old at that point. I'm 40, and of the shows I enjoy most, the '70s and '80s ones were what I was most excited to see on GSN at launch. Someone who is 20 now, may favor shows from the '90s and 2000s. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #251 on: October 16, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »
I recently upgraded my digital cable package to get GSN again - first time in about 10 years since the C-band days I've had it.  Since this past Monday was a holiday, I spent my morning watching Card Sharks, Press Your Luck, Sale of the Century and $25,000 Pyramid...then watched Price is Right on CBS.  It was a very enjoyable morning and I hope GSN will always have a place for those morning classics.

Are they as good as they were in the first 5 years?  No, but I agree with the others that it's a nice period we're in right now.

Who knows...maybe they'll give us some additional surprises for their 20th anniversary.  Still hoping for something like Break the Bank '76 to pop up again sometime!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Winkfan

« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2014, 02:40:37 AM »
You know, it appears that GSN keeps changing its schedules every two weeks; or something to that effect.

As for STYD now history on GSN, I knew they should have started it with the original Lifetime run.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #253 on: October 20, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »
As for STYD now history on GSN, I knew they should have started it with the original Lifetime run.
Your personal wants and needs do not equal solid business strategy.

SWAK!!!
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #254 on: October 20, 2014, 11:21:57 AM »
You know, it appears that GSN keeps changing its schedules every two weeks; or something to that effect.
No more than any other cable network nowadays. I think the days of consistent cable programming are long gone, and that's not necessarily the worst thing in the world.

Doubt it would've made any difference. No one outside of this board would realize the difference between the Lifetime, Family Channel* or PAX versions. They more likely would've said, "Oh, hey it's that cheesy game show from the 90s set in a mall! I remember this one..." Mark's right; this one sounds like a personal fan gripe.

*/Even if it WAS called The New Shop Til You Drop