Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Major late September schedule changes  (Read 98151 times)

aaron sica

Re: Major late September schedule changes
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2014, 03:48:31 PM »
I think Syndicated Match Game (1979-1982) is better than the early 70's Match Game.

I personally like it better myself as that's the version I first remember seeing.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »
Because too many people were picking Richard Dawson before that time during the Super Match, more than any other.

So you like the syndicated series because people in the earlier years of MG were playing to win the game?

Does not approve.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2014, 05:28:23 PM »
For the first time in a long time, I was able to divine the content of an image prior to seeing it.

/"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning."
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »
I always found the 79-82 Syndicated Match Game to be pretty droll and way over-edited. I think they were just burnt out by then.

I'd imagine, by 1982, the show looked really outdated compared to just about everything else on the air.
-Joe Raygor

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2014, 09:00:32 PM »
I think Gene was more burnt out than anybody else, truthfully. The last couple years, certainly, were just him wanting to get it over with to me and once it was all over, he didn't want to get back into hosting again. Hence why I felt his work on MGHS was subpar and Farago did a better job with Break the Bank (especially once the format changed).

It was depressing to watch, but that's how life is. No matter how we try, we can't always be where we were at our peak.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

cyclone45

« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2014, 09:41:29 PM »
Of course now by the time I get back home, they revert back to the 2000 STYD...sigh

gamed121683

« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2014, 11:10:30 PM »
The PDF for October 13-19th is now posted over at Game Show Follies and it looks like the Let's Ask America hour will reclaim the Noon hour effective 10/16. This stuff is subject to change, of course, but this "time capsule" thingy is looking to be a one time deal.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:13:24 PM by gamed121683 »

J.R.

« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2014, 11:43:03 PM »
Hence why I felt his work on MGHS was subpar
Yeah, he was rather grumpy on MGHS. I thought he was straight-up rude to Bauman at times too.
-Joe Raygor

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »
Because too many people were picking Richard Dawson before that time during the Super Match, more than any other.

So you like the syndicated series because people in the earlier years of MG were playing to win the game?

Nah, I get this.  It's the same as the people who complain about not enjoying Jeopardy as much when players bounce around the board.  Because we as a group love the "game" we often forget about the "show".  It's possible for a strategically sound move to be aesthetically displeasing to a viewer.  Obviously the Match Game powers-that-be thought the same thing, or else they wouldn't have bothered with the Star Wheel.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2014, 12:23:24 PM »
Obviously the Match Game powers-that-be thought the same thing, or else they wouldn't have bothered with the Star Wheel.

Also, different strokes. I *loved* the Star Wheel from the get-go. Something bright and shiny and beepy that *also* fixed something that was making the show stale? Brilliant.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2014, 12:56:39 PM »
Also, different strokes. I *loved* the Star Wheel from the get-go. Something bright and shiny and beepy that *also* fixed something that was making the show stale? Brilliant.

Being 4/5 years old when I first saw the show, a shiny and beepy wheel that sounded like the "Big Wheel" on TPiR? Oh yeah. Instantly hooked and still my favorite part of the show, some 35 years later.

Sodboy13

« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »
I definitely prefer the Star Wheel to the couple solid years of "everyone in this room and at home knows you're going to pick Richard Dawson" that preceded it. So what if it bruised poor little Dickie's fragile ego? He had a foot-and-a-half out the door by this point anyway.

I actually liked MGHSH's 10-20-30 cards even better than the Star Wheel. Gives the contestant the option of avoiding a celebrity who's been a complete doof all game while still adding on the chrome.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BrandonFG

« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2014, 01:03:49 PM »
Although I'm partial to the 74-77 era (right around the time Feud became really big), I gotta say I do prefer the Star Wheel. Could be because my first exposure to the show was actually Ross Shafer's version, which used the wheel.

McLean Stevenson and Bill Daily were suitable replacements, but I don't think there was topping humble Richard in his prime.

In terms of syndie versions, I think I prefer Match Game PM to the daily version...wasn't as rushed and heavily edited.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2014, 01:28:17 PM »
I think Gene was more burnt out than anybody else, truthfully. The last couple years, certainly, were just him wanting to get it over with to me and once it was all over, he didn't want to get back into hosting again.
That's curious because watching the Behind the Blank documentary and particularly one of the interviews; I got the impression that he basically lived to do Match Game, and his burn out happened after 1982, because nothing was the same after that. I could be misremembering but it does match up with why he left Break the Bank so early (obviously he wanted to be capering around and goofing off, and BTB didn't really allow that.)
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2014, 01:47:40 PM »
I actually liked MGHSH's 10-20-30 cards even better than the Star Wheel. Gives the contestant the option of avoiding a celebrity who's been a complete doof all game while still adding on the chrome.

Except it just reintroduced the original problem, because the mass majority of contestants gravitated (correctly) to Bauman.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe