Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Characteristics of game shows based on the producer  (Read 19319 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Characteristics of game shows based on the producer
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »
To be honest, I hated that - even as a kid watching these shows.  I'd get so into watching adults play and when they interrupted the flow for a kids' contest during Christmas week, I lost a bit of interest.

I tended to hate it too...especially when the B&E shows did it because they tended to gravitate to those overly cutesy overly precocious kids that never knew how to shut up...seemed like Jack Barry was trying to turn every show into Juvenile Jury (which I DETESTED!)

JakeT
It never bothered me as a kid obviously (I was simply jealous of the contestants), but in my adult years, I realized just how bad Kids Weeks were. I first realized it while watching a Kids Week...umm, excuse me, "Young Peoples Week" of Eubanks' Card Sharks. It was bad enough hearing the adults BS their rationale behind their guesses; having ki...young peoples do so was just grating.

Same sentiment for when Bergeron's Hollywood Squares offered a kids week c. Christmas 2001. Hearing cutesy child stars give gag answers just doesn't have the same effect.

And yeah, anytime I watched one of TJW's specials or Joker! Joker! Joker!, he seemed like he wanted to be anywhere else, esp. with the smartass who kept cutting Jack off to name every host/game show he liked that wasn't Jack Barry or The Joker's Wild.

Where were we? Oh yeah...Endemol USA - pregnant pauses, zooming through the letters, countless standing ovations, unemployed actors as contestants.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Eric Paddon

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 06:14:53 PM »
Each producer seemed to have its stable of announcers, except for maybe Bob Stewart...

Disagree strongly; Jack Clark did a bit of his shows in the 60s and 80s. Bob Clayton was, undoubtedly, Stewart's preferred announcer in the 70s [unless the show was on NBC, in which case, he'd likely use Pardo]. In the 80s, it was usually [unless Jack Clark was available] Johnny Gilbert [though "Pyramid", as we all know, went through announcers like the Ninja Turtles went through pizza].

An exception on the NBC/Pardo thing was "Shoot For The Stars", Stewart's last NBC show in NY where Clayton did announce.

Winkfan

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 06:35:26 PM »
Leave us not forget.....

Wink Martindale might have tended to copy off of others when creating his shows. Second Honeymoon looked like something Chuck Barris would have done (Oh, wait; he did do The Family Game.) Headline Chasers kinda mixed in elements of Merv Griffin's Wheel Of Fortune (headlines with missing letters) and Jeopardy (questions about said headlines).

Walt Framer went for human interest; as evidenced by Strike It Rich and The Big Payoff.

Harry Salter was more musically-inclined (Name That Tune and Music Bingo).

John Guedel...definitely into humor (You Bet Your Life and People Are Funny).

Cordially,
Tammy

P.S. I, for one, did enjoy those "Young People's Weeks" on Card Sharks.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:57:58 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 08:14:07 PM »
Although I can think of only two examples (Twenty-One and Tic Tac Dough), did any other B&E games involve the tie-game marathon mechanism?

BrandonFG

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »
From the 21 pilot thread, it seems Barry-Enright normally superimposed an eggcrate tote to display a champion's winnings or value of a prize package*. And as I noted on that thread, it looked creepy as hell. Alternately, at the top of the show, whenever a contestant was about to win a 5th/10th/15th/etc. game, a Windsor-like font was used.

*The one exception appears to be Joker's Wild. From all the episodes I saw, it was Helvetica, via art card.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JakeT

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 07:17:26 PM »

P.S. I, for one, did enjoy those "Young People's Weeks" on Card Sharks.

Yeah...but that's 'cause you're a GIRL...and GIRLS like stupid things!

<Now, Jakey pulls Tammy's pigtails and then pushes her down before running away across the playground like a wussyboy> :)

JakeT

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2014, 01:02:12 PM »
And I'd say that's really reaching. Was it the trademark that the contestants wore logo unis?

Or some form of identifying clothing. Examples.

Double Dare- colored unis
Get the Picture- colored unis
Guts- colored unis
Finders Keepers- tees
Legends- colored tees
Nick Arcade- colored tees
Think Fast- colored unis

I don't think it's as far a reach. I don't know of very many Nick games other than BrainSurge and Figure It Out that didn't do this.

Brainsurge contestants wear colored logo tees (like Legends), and you could make an argument that Figure it Out would count due to the panel.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2014, 01:31:40 PM »
OK, super. Does that make it Nickelodeon's "trademark," moreso than the fact that the games feature kids playing games designed to be played by kids?
Travis L. Eberle