Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Characteristics of game shows based on the producer  (Read 19530 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

Re: Characteristics of game shows based on the producer
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 04:13:08 PM »
How about Nickelodeon game shows? What would their characteristics be (aside from the fact that they all featured kids)?

Not all of them was about getting messy, like Double Dare was.

Bryce L.

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 05:10:58 PM »
How about Nickelodeon game shows? What would their characteristics be (aside from the fact that they all featured kids)?

Music by Edd Kalehoff?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 05:30:27 PM »

Music by Edd Kalehoff?

Too many that he didn't do.

I was gonna say objectives in the endgames to find something, but that doesn't really work either.

Don't think there's an overlaying connection between Nick shows.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 06:07:09 PM »
Each producer seemed to have its stable of announcers, except for maybe Bob Stewart...

Disagree strongly; Jack Clark did a bit of his shows in the 60s and 80s. Bob Clayton was, undoubtedly, Stewart's preferred announcer in the 70s [unless the show was on NBC, in which case, he'd likely use Pardo]. In the 80s, it was usually [unless Jack Clark was available] Johnny Gilbert [though "Pyramid", as we all know, went through announcers like the Ninja Turtles went through pizza].
I think my memory was clouded by the 80s Pyramids...for some reason I thought the same applied to the 70s shows, and didn't realize Clayton was more or less a regular.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 06:40:28 PM »

Music by Edd Kalehoff?

I was gonna say objectives in the endgames to find something, but that doesn't really work either.

........The kids wore custom clothing?
.....and it goes like this!!!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 06:41:37 PM »
Reg Grundy: Copyright? Who's that?
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 07:49:24 PM »

Physicality. Kids don't want to watch people stand around and talk for a half hour.

(I'm going to argue that bombarding the panelists with clues and slime gave "Figure It Out" physicality.)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 08:11:08 PM »
(I'm going to argue that bombarding the panelists with clues and slime gave "Figure It Out" physicality.)
I wouldn't even go that far, citing Make the Grade, Get the Picture and Nick Arcade as games where the moving about wasn't the point but the means to get to a new event or back to home base. Yes, Arcade had the green screen round, but other'n that, nothing.

The "trademark" (such as it is) is that the network was putting on game shows specifically for kids; that they can watch and play along with and enjoy. Not adult game shows taking two weeks at Christmas, Easter and summer break to feature young players in a watered-down version of the game, but game shows that were designed specifically for youth consumption.
Travis L. Eberle

Ian Wallis

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 08:52:30 PM »
Not adult game shows taking two weeks at Christmas, Easter and summer break to feature young players in a watered-down version of the game,

To be honest, I hated that - even as a kid watching these shows.  I'd get so into watching adults play and when they interrupted the flow for a kids' contest during Christmas week, I lost a bit of interest.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 09:05:17 PM »
I wouldn't even go that far, citing Make the Grade, Get the Picture and Nick Arcade as games where the moving about wasn't the point but the means to get to a new event or back to home base. Yes, Arcade had the green screen round, but other'n that, nothing.

The Fire Drills in "Make the Grade" had the kids performing stunts. The Power Surge in "Get the Picture" wasn't always cerebral (example). And personally, I'd say that having the entire bonus round of "Nick Arcade" be physical would qualify it. And even if not, watching Sonic the Hedgehog race across the landscape meant that the home audience was watching physicality, even if the contestants themselves weren't moving around.

aaron sica

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 09:09:04 PM »
To be honest, I hated that - even as a kid watching these shows.  I'd get so into watching adults play and when they interrupted the flow for a kids' contest during Christmas week, I lost a bit of interest.

On the contrary, I *loved* watching kids play TTD, HS, CS when I was a kid. I don't think TTD did it very long as I only remember it in the early seasons.

PYLdude

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 09:22:13 PM »

Music by Edd Kalehoff?

........The kids wore custom clothing?

Hmmm....I might start there. At least for a good chunk of the shows.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 09:28:57 PM »
And I'd say that's really reaching. Was it the trademark that the contestants wore logo unis?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 09:35:40 PM »
And I'd say that's really reaching. Was it the trademark that the contestants wore logo unis?

Or some form of identifying clothing. Examples.

Double Dare- colored unis
Get the Picture- colored unis
Guts- colored unis
Finders Keepers- tees
Legends- colored tees
Nick Arcade- colored tees
Think Fast- colored unis

I don't think it's as far a reach. I don't know of very many Nick games other than BrainSurge and Figure It Out that didn't do this.

JakeT

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 09:39:19 PM »
Not adult game shows taking two weeks at Christmas, Easter and summer break to feature young players in a watered-down version of the game,

I tended to hate it too...especially when the B&E shows did it because they tended to gravitate to those overly cutesy overly precocious kids that never knew how to shut up...seemed like Jack Barry was trying to turn every show into Juvenile Jury (which I DETESTED!)

JakeT