Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Home Game Expansions, Modifications, and/or Creations  (Read 20186 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Home Game Expansions, Modifications, and/or Creations
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »
I did have the GameTek WOF ... but I also had a couple of others, and I don't remember the one I hacked having only four colors.  It looked fairly realistic for the time.  The players didn't look like cartoons.  But it was a long time ago, so my memory is foggy.  That may have been it.

If you used Paint (within Windows), you were probably past the four-color-CGA days of PC gaming. I believe CRuss is referring to the very first iteration of the PC WOF games, which would very likely have been CGA.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 05:38:56 PM »
Many moons ago, I took a WOF game for the PC and updated it, using only MS Paint.  This game still featured "Vanna" walking across the stage, turning letters around.

Was that the GameTek WOF that used only four colors?

I did have the GameTek WOF ... but I also had a couple of others, and I don't remember the one I hacked having only four colors.  It looked fairly realistic for the time.  The players didn't look like cartoons.  But it was a long time ago, so my memory is foggy.  That may have been it.
I think this might be the 1994 or so "deluxe" edition of the game.  I "hacked" the category graphics by changing the letter set color in paint. 
--Mark
Phil 4:13

geno57

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 06:33:15 PM »
I think this might be the 1994 or so "deluxe" edition of the game.  I "hacked" the category graphics by changing the letter set color in paint.

The time period seems about right.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »
On my iPhone, I replaced the intro video in my Countdown app with video of the intro sequence from episode 1, from 1982. So hey, there's that.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

CRussMason

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2014, 09:22:54 AM »
I, too, have a home game creation to report.  Somewhere around 1992, I embarked on a project to write a computer program to play the game Concentration.  In celebration of tomorrow's 56th anniversary of Concentration's debut, I have pointed my digital camera at the monitor of my 386 computer and recorded game play of my work-in-progress.  I wish the video's clarity was better, but it's the best I've been able to produce thus far.  I wrote this program using QuickBasic.  I had the luxury of being able to use 16 out of 256 available colors, and there isn't a sound card in this computer, just a PC speaker.  My intent was to make the game format match that of the original series.
http://youtu.be/t7MVShy7TJI

clemon79

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2014, 12:46:18 PM »
Hee! All props for doing a 30-square version of the game in 1992. :)

geno57

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2014, 02:42:09 PM »
Nice work!  You do great rebuses ... and you get extra points for the dramatic lighting around the "prize doors".

I could spend many, many hours playing this game.

jmangin

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »
Has anyone ever found a game that is similar enough to Smush with material that could be used to DIY a version of the game show?

clemon79

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2014, 06:00:25 PM »
Has anyone ever found a game that is similar enough to Smush with material that could be used to DIY a version of the game show?

I would say that would be a no-brainer for a trivia board game, but man would that be a lot of labor-intensive content to write.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2014, 08:57:33 PM »
If you're not interested in playing, you could do worse than culling from Hashtag Wars to get started.
Travis L. Eberle

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2014, 07:52:29 PM »
With some massaging for difficulty many of the questions from 30 Second Mysteries could be used for a version of Million Dollar Mind Game. (I would add a rule where the team that is "up" is allowed to ask questions in the fashion of What's My Line? to get help.)
Travis L. Eberle

Sodboy13

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2018, 01:37:25 AM »
Bumping this one up from the depths. If you'd like to make some big dice with customized sides for Let 'Em Roll, The Big Showdown, or whatever else you have in mind, these foam cubes from Dollar Tree are an affordable and simple way to do it. The description says they're 2.25" on a side, but that's actually the diameter of the dry-erase circle - the cubes are about 3". Now, if you wanted to go that extra step, Avery sells sheets of glossy white circular printer labels that are 2" in diameter, making for a nice fit.

https://www.dollartree.com/Teaching-Tree-Dry-Erase-Foam-Blocks/p370932/index.pro
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

aaron sica

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2018, 08:43:33 AM »
Bumping this one up from the depths. If you'd like to make some big dice with customized sides for Let 'Em Roll, The Big Showdown, or whatever else you have in mind, these foam cubes from Dollar Tree are an affordable and simple way to do it. The description says they're 2.25" on a side, but that's actually the diameter of the dry-erase circle - the cubes are about 3". Now, if you wanted to go that extra step, Avery sells sheets of glossy white circular printer labels that are 2" in diameter, making for a nice fit.

https://www.dollartree.com/Teaching-Tree-Dry-Erase-Foam-Blocks/p370932/index.pro

Now THIS is a bump-worthy post. Good find!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2018, 12:02:02 PM »
While I don't need a dozen of those, I would be happy to split such an order three or four ways and pick up my share at an appointed time and place; such as the first weekend of August at the Tropicana hotel.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2018, 03:18:45 PM »
Curious: is it squishy foam, or rigid foam? Can't really tell from the image.