Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Season 43 news...  (Read 28969 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: TPIR Season 43 news...
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 12:11:35 PM »
What's interesting about your example (which I realize was wholly arbitrary, but the concept applies to the actual game) is that the difference between your "big jump" and the one before it is only about $350. 99 times out of 100 the "big jump" happens because  the previous price was only a couple hundred bucks away from crossing a new threshold of $1,000.

Not saying your theory is wrong, but it would be interesting to see it applied to actual data, and then (ESPECIALLY if the theory proves out) checked to see if the "big jump" in each case really is all that big.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvmitch

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2014, 01:33:30 PM »
What's interesting about your example (which I realize was wholly arbitrary, but the concept applies to the actual game) is that the difference between your "big jump" and the one before it is only about $350. 99 times out of 100 the "big jump" happens because  the previous price was only a couple hundred bucks away from crossing a new threshold of $1,000.

Not saying your theory is wrong, but it would be interesting to see it applied to actual data, and then (ESPECIALLY if the theory proves out) checked to see if the "big jump" in each case really is all that big.
I'd like to see it applied to actual data as well...don't have the resources to do so...but I would say that out of the last 10 times I've seen the game, this strategy would have worked for the contestant in at least 7 plays.

I'd posit that the average amount of that "big jump" is in the range of about $1,500 (e.g. $20,8xx to $22,3xx)

With this knowledge, we are finally primed for world domination.
You should follow me on Twitter

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 01:57:10 PM »

I'd like to see it applied to actual data as well...don't have the resources to do so...but I would say that out of the last 10 times I've seen the game, this strategy would have worked for the contestant in at least 7 plays.

I'd posit that the average amount of that "big jump" is in the range of about $1,500 (e.g. $20,8xx to $22,3xx)

With this knowledge, we are finally primed for world domination.

While I would never base trying to prove or disprove a theory based on one playing, on the 7/2/14 ep (looking it up on g-r.net) you had exactly that situation:  a jump of about $1,500 (from $17,810 to $19,334) and the contestant stopped at the next price ($20,575).  Problem was he stopped two prices short--and the gap between the next two prices was about $1,300 (and the gap before that was about $1,100).  So that's three pretty "big jumps" in one board setup (assuming $1,100 is the smallest typical jump).

Yes, it would be tedious to do, but you can go back to g-r's summaries to see if indeed that was a one-off and the theory still flies, or whether that's a pattern and the contestants kind of have to be lucky.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:59:50 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »
I know that they can't do either of these, but I think they're improvements on the original.

One: Instead of choosing the first price that is over the price of the car, stop when the price of the car is revealed.

Two: Have the game start with all of the wrong prices showing, the player has to figure out where the actual price of the car would fall (either by bracketing, or which is the closest price without going over, or the first that is indeed over.)
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2014, 03:00:15 PM »
Yes, it would be tedious to do, but you can go back to g-r's summaries to see if indeed that was a one-off and the theory still flies, or whether that's a pattern and the contestants kind of have to be lucky.

One could indeed do this, yes.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 08:30:55 PM »
Here's every TTM playing this season.

Looking at 30 playings, the two prices before the winning tag only have an increase of two in the thousands digit (ie, $16k - $18k - $19k) three times.  By comparison, the winning tag has an increase of two in the thousands digit over the previous tag (ie, $16k - $17k - $19k) 13 times.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:33:03 PM by Mr. Armadillo »

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
I was looking over those stats at the same time you were -- I think you've mixed up which formatting is used for the contestant's stopping point versus where the correct answer is. By my count, Mitch's strategy would have worked 15 out of 30 times (this includes two playings where there was also a large-looking jump very early in the line that a contestant with reasonable pricing skills would realize was still way too low).

What I find interesting is comparing this to the previous season, where that strategy would have worked 0 out of 20 times (that year, the only strategy seemed to be "it's probably either third or fourth").

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 10:41:08 PM »
Yep, you're right.  I didn't double-check my work because my results matched my hypothesis.  I somehow got it right when I first checked it, but then reversed it when I went to crunch the numbers.

clemon79

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 10:50:48 PM »
Wow. That's awfully damned compelling, then, if you can reduce TTM to a one-in-two shot.

Be interesting to see if this holds up going forward.

weaklink75

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2014, 02:35:08 PM »
Well this is a surprise- the game they're rebooting? Time Is Money (great set for it though)...

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_price_is_right/news_blog/1003121/

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »
I have a hard time calling "Time is Money" a classic game, especially when it was last seen more than ten years ago. If they're playing it the way I assume they're playing it, that could be really decent.
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2014, 04:10:16 PM »
I'm laughing about the "Flat Yodely Guy" promotion.

Thunder

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2014, 04:17:01 PM »
Wait, what?

The show, which won its first-ever Daytime Emmy in 2014 for best original song, “30,000 Reasons to Love Me.” is broadcast weekdays (check local listings) on the CBS Television Network.

What am I missing here?

EDITED TO ADD: This is for "Let's Make A Deal" but still... original song?

chad1m

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »
Wait, what?
The show, which won its first-ever Daytime Emmy in 2014 for best original song, “30,000 Reasons to Love Me.” is broadcast weekdays (check local listings) on the CBS Television Network.
What am I missing here?
Let's Make a Deal (not The Price Is Right) won an Emmy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2ncOyX8oKM

BillCullen1

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2014, 12:17:01 AM »
Well this is a surprise- the game they're rebooting? Time Is Money (great set for it though)...

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_price_is_right/news_blog/1003121/

I'll definitely be watching on 9/22 to see this.