Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Season 43 news...  (Read 28972 times)

weaklink75

TPIR Season 43 news...
« on: July 26, 2014, 12:42:06 PM »
http://www.buzzerblog.com/2014/07/25/price-is-right-ep-mike-richards-teases-updated-games-and-new-doors/ Per Buzzerblog, there will be a remodel of a game and a reboot of an old game- any ideas?

I'd think the reboot could be something like Hit Me- just use two 4-digit prizes, and have the player use the prices as their cards, calling a position of a prize (say the 3rd digit of the 1st prize)- a 0 is a ten, and a 1 is an Ace (so 1 or 11); the house uses a standard deck (and be clear on a couple of the rules- ties go to the player, and the house sticks on a soft 17)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: TPIR Season 43 news...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 01:45:16 PM »
I'd think the reboot could be something like Hit Me- just use two 4-digit prizes, and have the player use the prices as their cards, calling a position of a prize (say the 3rd digit of the 1st prize)- a 0 is a ten, and a 1 is an Ace (so 1 or 11); the house uses a standard deck (and be clear on a couple of the rules- ties go to the player, and the house sticks on a soft 17)

'Cuz that's not overcomplicated at all.

(Right off the top, neverminding having to explain a 0-to-10 conversion: as soon as you have to explain to the audience what a "soft 17" is, you've lost them.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BillCullen1

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 10:45:49 PM »
I'm guessing the reboot game could be Penny Ante, Credit Card, Poker Game or (long-shot) Time is Money. One game I'd personally LOVE to see come back is Super Ball.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:08:58 PM by BillCullen1 »

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:07:31 AM »
If it's Poker Game, chances are it'll have different rules. The game doesn't really work anymore with the current rules. Since Bob encouraged players to look for prizes with 9s in the price, there had to be two prizes with 9s to make the game winable. So, any fan of the show would know that if the prizes they chose left them a poor hand, or had no 9s in their hand, passing to the house makes for an easy win. Still, I always liked this game and was sorry to see it go.

I don't really miss Credit Card. It's a neat game, but it's not one of my faves.

Time is Money should stay out... it was a poorly designed game. The $500 voucher was pointless, because $500 isn't enough of an incentive to walk away, and if they DID walk away with the $500 (as it happened on the game's first playing) it was a pretty good waste of about a couple minutes.

Penny Ante SHOULD return, and I think Drew would actually have some fun pressing the buttons and watching the lights go up the game. To avoid game malfunctions though, I think the reveals should be CGI... they could still have some cool visual effect to reveal a YES or NO.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 01:38:29 PM »
I wonder if the game they're returning will be one of the long-retired games that has appeared in the Price is Right Slots game, like Hurdles.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

comicus

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »
Super Ball would be cool.  Maybe Drew won't biff his ankle on it like Bob did.

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 02:28:17 PM »
Super Ball would be cool.  Maybe Drew won't biff his ankle on it like Bob did.

This seems a bit more exciting than bringing back Credit Card or, say, Give or Keep. If the problem was that it took too long, there are fixes. Give a free ball, then play small prizes for three more. Scrap the numbered prizes and just play for cash--middle hole is worth, say, $5000, so it's a possible (though unlikely) $20,000.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »
This may not be my original idea but I like it so much: have a prize behind each door and treat the Super Ball like the Big Deal: give up everything you've won to roll it and play it out like normal.
Travis L. Eberle

Bryce L.

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
This may not be my original idea but I like it so much: have a prize behind each door and treat the Super Ball like the Big Deal: give up everything you've won to roll it and play it out like normal.
This I like, though I must ask... under this format, what would you offer as a Super Ball prize if the player is sufficiently skilled to win all three prizes with the first three balls?

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 09:42:04 PM »
This I like, though I must ask... under this format, what would you offer as a Super Ball prize if the player is sufficiently skilled to win all three prizes with the first three balls?

You don't. Yay, player wins everything, cue bells.

Bryce L.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 09:58:49 PM »

You don't. Yay, player wins everything, cue bells.
Rather anti-climactic, especially compared to the original, which DID have a procedure in place for this case (and actually was used once)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 10:03:51 PM »
Chris is right; the Super Ball exists only as a work-around in my idea. And really, the $3,000 bonus wasn't any more climactic than when someone had the chance to win all three prizes, sank it in the win hole, the music and bells fire up and the doors are thrown open to the riotous applause of the crowd.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 10:45:04 PM »
Rather anti-climactic, especially compared to the original, which DID have a procedure in place for this case (and actually was used once)

I fail to see how "dude won the car with the 3rd ball OMG BBQ!!!" is anticlimactic, ever.

JayDLewis

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 11:00:38 PM »
Personally, I'd like to see Penny Ante return.

Practically, Bump. A quickie 2-prize game to add variety to the One Right Price/Bargain Game/Switch? quickies.

ETA: I said YEARS ago that Poker Game is easily modified for 1-prize. Use grocery items for your "hands" & add a shelf on the price display/stand (ala Let 'Em Roll).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:03:06 PM by JayDLewis »
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 11:29:15 PM »
I could pass on Credit Card, I thought Time is Money was a good idea left half baked...most of the games I would welcome back though I think Phone Home is a silly idea in a bloated cash game universe.
Travis L. Eberle