Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Late nighters in syndication...  (Read 65182 times)

johnnya2k3

Re: Late nighters in syndication...
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2014, 01:33:05 AM »
Two other game shows that got the late night treatment in Atlanta (at least on WSB): That's Amore and TTD '90.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2014, 01:44:51 AM »
Two other game shows that got the late night treatment in Atlanta (at least on WSB): That's Amore and TTD '90.

I think the broader question might be what markets DIDN'T put TTD90 on late night. Or Joker 90 for that matter.

(What's "That's Amore"? Never heard of it.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

johnnya2k3

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2014, 01:59:49 AM »
(What's "That's Amore"? Never heard of it.)
That's Amore was a dating game show hosted by Italian actor Luca Barbareschi; this is the only clip from it on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghIUk-IW3fQ

And I don't recall any syndie game shows that were banished to late nights in Fairbanks (my old home for, what, 200 years?).

(On a personal note...let me say that it's great to be posting on this board once again!)

BrandonFG

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2014, 02:04:15 AM »
I'm going off of a 21-year memory, but it was kinda like The Marriage Ref, but with a slight court show angle. All I remember was a husband and wife were bickering over an issue, and each spouse had a person in their corner taking their side. The audience would vote on who technically "won" the argument. I know that's incredibly vague, but again, it's been more than 20 years...aired 1992-93 season.

I remember it aired around midnight or so here, and I think I remember seeing it in a morning slot when I visited Dallas. 10:30 maybe?

ETA: Full episode to be posted on the A/V board...

As for TTD90, I think someone mentioned it aired in a late-afternoon slot in their area, and I do remember seeing a DC area listing with Joker at noon.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WhammyPower

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2014, 05:00:36 AM »
HS98 was on at 12:35AM in Milwaukee, IIRC.

/WISN has never aired a game show since.

aaron sica

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »
I think the broader question might be what markets DIDN'T put TTD90 on late night. Or Joker 90 for that matter.

If you mean "at first" and not eventually.....WHP-21 (CBS) in Harrisburg first aired TTD90 in a late afternoon slot (I want to say 5pm) when it premiered. It was definitely not tossed to late night upon its premiere. As for Joker90, WLYH-15 (also CBS) in Lebanon aired it at 7:30pm when it premiered. IIRC, it later wound up sometime between 9am-10am...I guess that's better than late night?

snowpeck

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2014, 09:52:48 AM »
Just realized I haven't actually contributed my memories to this thread. The station I work for runs the primary run WWTBAM at 2:05 AM presently. Harvey Feud is at 1:07 AM, but it's the secondary run. The primary run is in the more visible 7:30 PM slot.

I grew up in the Tri-Cities, TN/VA market, where some syndicated game shows didn't air at all (and in looking at listings, that continues to be the case.)  I can't specify years, but I have strong memories of Love Connection in late night slots on WKPT.  Davidson TPIR aired once a week (though it might have been two episodes) on WCYB on Saturday nights after SNL in fall 1994.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

0512vwoods

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »
I heard Celebrity Name Game wasn't doing too well in the ratings, possibly because it airs in out-of-the-way timeslots in some markets. It doesn't air at all in Memphis, despite us having a Tribune station. I think WREG would/could have aired it at 12:35am after the Late Late Show.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
I heard Celebrity Name Game wasn't doing too well in the ratings, possibly because it airs in out-of-the-way timeslots in some markets. It doesn't air at all in Memphis, despite us having a Tribune station. I think WREG would/could have aired it at 12:35am after the Late Late Show.

In Flint, it runs 7p-8p on the CW station opposite J! and WOF.  Probably can't get a lot of ratings traction in that slot.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

That Don Guy

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2014, 08:09:23 PM »
I can't think of any ever airing in San Francisco between Midnight and 6 AM.  The closest I remember coming to those hours was KTVU (now the Fox station, but independent at the time) airing Liar's Club at 11 PM.

I'm a little surprised KPIX never aired TPIR overnight, considering that nobody else in SF aired it at all between 1981 and 1991.

golden-road

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »
I'm a little surprised KPIX never aired TPIR overnight, considering that nobody else in SF aired it at all between 1981 and 1991.

Didn't any of the indies air preempted network shows?

SuperMatch93

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2014, 10:03:18 PM »
An interesting late-night case in Chicago: WMAQ aired The Guinness Game Saturdays at 1am, after SNL and SCTV. The interesting part is that the February before its premiere, WMAQ actually aired an episode as a special one night at 6:30pm, probably the pilot.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

mmb5

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2014, 10:19:36 PM »
To go way, way back: Beat the Champ and PDQ aired after Carson in Detroit.

Also, Millionaire currently (as well as in the past, 2 different stations), Challengers (after Nightline), Davidson Pyramid (between Carson and Letterman)
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2014, 11:11:47 PM »
To go way, way back: Beat the Champ and PDQ aired after Carson in Detroit.

Also, Millionaire currently (as well as in the past, 2 different stations), Challengers (after Nightline), Davidson Pyramid (between Carson and Letterman)

Make Me Laugh aired opposite Carson in Chicago; must've worked well.

/s
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

0512vwoods

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2014, 12:09:02 AM »

This has to be in Letterman's last days with NBC. This happened in Memphis too, only it wasn't with a game show. Were there any other cities where Carson and Letterman didn't air back to back?