Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Late nighters in syndication...  (Read 65649 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Late nighters in syndication...
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 01:21:59 AM »
I thought I once read here that WCBS aired Break the Bank in the mornings...9:30 or so? I could be way off.

/First time for everything
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 01:27:30 AM »
I thought I once read here that WCBS aired Break the Bank in the mornings...9:30 or so? I could be way off.

They liked to air game shows in that hour for awhile...Joker was there, I'm pretty sure TTD was with it, Trump Card, Home Shopping Game, and in the season before BtB premiered you had Let's Make a Deal and Anything for Money occupying it.

I figure it was either them or W(W)OR because they both were big on at least daytime syndies at the time.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

aaron sica

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 01:46:23 AM »
I seem.to remember WCBS airing Strike it Rich in the noon timeslot that opened up when Press Your Luck bit the dust.  It was because of that ratings flop that WCBS started its noon newscast, making them only the second in the market with one at the time.

I do believe you're right. I have a November 1986 TV Guide I wanted to check on for this anyway, but I am pretty sure I remember seeing Strike it Rich listed in the noon slot. I'll check first chance I get.

snowpeck

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 02:21:10 AM »
I seem.to remember WCBS airing Strike it Rich in the noon timeslot that opened up when Press Your Luck bit the dust.  It was because of that ratings flop that WCBS started its noon newscast, making them only the second in the market with one at the time.
The New York Times TV listings corroborate this.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

colonial

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 09:17:58 AM »
Pretty sure Catch Phrase also aired on WCBS in the 9am hour.

JD

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 11:43:59 AM »
Unless there's an online source of old Huntsville, AL TV listings, I have no idea (other than Street Smarts on WZDX-Fox-54) what game shows aired in late night, most likely on account of being asleep almost every night of my childhood and a good portion of my teenage years.

ETA: I almost forgot (perhaps for good reason ;) ) syndie Lyrics on the same station.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:54:57 PM by Tony Peters »
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

brianhenke

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »
  In Cincinnati:

WLWT put the $1 Million Chance of a Lifetime at 1:30 am (after Late Night with David Letterman) for Season 2.  TTD90 aired on weekends in late night (maybe they knew it was terrible when they saw it for the first time!), so no rapping dragons for me (I didn't see it on USA, either).

WSTR dropped the syndie Deal or No Deal to early mornings in the middle of Season 2. They were supposed to carry CS2K1 at 3 am (it wound up at 9:30 am - given the bad critical reception it got, maybe 3 am was ideal).

WXIX carried the Weller season of WLorD at 5 or 5:30 am (the only time I was aware of it being on so early was from TV Guide - those were the days).

Brian
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 03:38:43 PM by brianhenke »
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Scrabbleship

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 06:27:51 PM »
In Atlanta:

WGCL: Anderson Feud (first few eps and again in 2001), CS2001, TTTT2000

ISTR that most of the first season of TTTT2000 was on WGCL in the 4:00-5:00 hour between Guiding Light and the debacle known as Clear News.

A few other cases from New England-ish
  • WLNE in Providence aired TNPiR '94 mostly in overnights with an oddball a week airing Saturday evenings paired with the Mass Lottery's Bonus Bonanza.
  • The second run of Anderson Feud was aired on WTNH in overnights (single run aired daytime on sister WBNE/WCTX).
  • The last couple of years of Dawson syndie Feud aired at midnight on WGGB in Springfield.
  • WTEN in Albany aired parts of Combs Feud and Davidson Pyramid in overnights.
  • WBZ in Boston always used overnights as a waystation for shows on the decline or on their way out (TJW '90, Trump Card, The Challengers, TNPiR '94) but cleared a couple of years of Combs Feud at 2:35 AM. This doesn't count the 30ish times a year that WoF and J! air 1:37-2:37 for assorted, mostly Patriots-related reasons.

/Somehow bumping one night a week of TBBT reruns on WSBK is too much to ask.
//That was the serious explanation.
///This was the same city where a gossip column led to $110 million changing hands because of easily refutable rumors.

JMFabiano

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 07:39:25 PM »
NY-wise, WNBC also put Sparks Crosswits in the wee hours.  Didn't know about J! starting there, when did it move to WABC? 

And when did NTT (Lange version, I assume) air late night on WABC?  Cause I know it wound up in daytime, as did J! (perhaps the same block?  I recall a promo for the two shows...which was seen during a 7 Late Movie, oddly enough.  So was J! ever on WABC's late night too???) 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »
Did 100% air anywhere during daytime hours? I remember taking a trip to Dallas and wanting to stay up until 3 am to see it, but fell asleep.

I remember seeing it in the morning when I was visiting a friend in Florida.  Think MG98 was seen there in the afternoon.  FWIW, said friend lived by Kissimee. 

JMFabiano

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »

They liked to air game shows in that hour for awhile...Joker was there, I'm pretty sure TTD was with it, Trump Card, Home Shopping Game, and in the season before BtB premiered you had Let's Make a Deal and Anything for Money occupying it.

I figure it was either them or W(W)OR because they both were big on at least daytime syndies at the time.

Never saw them there myself, as at the time I lived somewhere that received NY and Philly channels, so I would watch Joker on I think WPVI.  But all my other memories of TJW and TTD were from W(W)OR, so I was surprised to see that they appeared on WCBS in the '80s.  Ditto for All-New LMAD, which I likewise associated with Channel 9. 

Kind of a reverse of the question, but here, Dawson comeback Family Feud disappeared from the afternoon to the morning on WWOR when TPIR'94 ended, cutting it off from school-going me.  Did they ever show the full hour by then, or still just the second half?

The Pyramids

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2014, 08:25:01 PM »
I don't think anyones mentioned Bergeron 'Hollywood Squares'. I believe a number of stations moved it out of prime access for its last season, but can does anyone know if it ever had any late night markets?

PYLdude

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 08:45:14 PM »

Never saw them there myself, as at the time I lived somewhere that received NY and Philly channels, so I would watch Joker on I think WPVI.  But all my other memories of TJW and TTD were from W(W)OR, so I was surprised to see that they appeared on WCBS in the '80s.  Ditto for All-New LMAD, which I likewise associated with Channel 9. 

Kind of a reverse of the question, but here, Dawson comeback Family Feud disappeared from the afternoon to the morning on WWOR when TPIR'94 ended, cutting it off from school-going me.  Did they ever show the full hour by then, or still just the second half?

They cleared the entire hour once it moved to the morning.

LMAD followed the Barry-Enright shows to channel 9 for its second season. In season one I believe it took Tic Tac Dough's place while Anything For Money got Joker's-with the exception of the period where they were on opposing channels (channel 9 had Joker first, channel 11 TTD), Joker always aired in the second half of the hour.

To answer your first question, WABC picked Jeopardy! up midway through its first season. Name That Tune was moved from the morning to pair with it in the 4 PM hour, then was jettisoned to late night when channel 7 nabbed Divorce Court.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:48:41 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

PYLdude

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 01:42:28 AM »
Pretty sure Catch Phrase also aired on WCBS in the 9am hour.

JD

I was under the impression that it aired on W(W)OR. For the simple reason that its replacement was produced by the same company that produced The $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime, and both premiered in January 1986- I would figure that Telepictures wanted to keep those two shows together, and channel 9 as far as I know aired the entire run of COAL.

Paging Greg Brobeck...

aaron sica

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 03:01:11 AM »
As per this old thread, http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php?topic=8143.0 Catch Phrase aired on WCBS at 9, followed by Break the Bank at 9:30.