Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Late nighters in syndication...  (Read 65720 times)

weaklink75

Re: Late nighters in syndication...
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 06:51:33 PM »
Some Baltimore/DC stuff I remember WBAL had Trump Card at 1:30AM- WRC had Crosswits and later Wipeout air after a rerun of the late local news at 2:35AM..WBFF had Match Game '98 at 3AM I think..

aaron sica

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 07:31:49 PM »
WCBS banished the Garagiola "Strike It Rich" to overnight after it did nothing at 7 PM.    I also remember that overnight was when Jeopardy was first airing in the NY market in 1984.

I don't remember "Strike it Rich" airing at 7PM...I think WLoD was the first show to get the 7pm timeslot on WCBS when CBS Evening News moved up to 6:30. SiR I believe aired at either 9 or 9:30am.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 08:12:25 PM »
I definitely remember, in Chicago, WLS moving "The Challengers" to an overnight slot when its ratings were sliding.  WMAQ also aired TJW and TTD '90 in a single block overnight, and (IIRC) Davidson Pyramid then as well after TTD '90 left the air.

I only remember these because this was the time I learned how to program a VCR.  :)

Anthony

WGBO aired Davidson Pyramid (at 10pm after Benny Hill reruns). I swore TJW aired in the afternoons on the same channel.
As for the Challengers, I guess that wasn't on WLS after all. I remembered seeing it on Saturday evenings at 6.

Street Smarts aired on WGN late at night.

CS01 aired between 8pm and whenever the hell it felt like it.

TimK2003

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 09:19:42 PM »
WKYC here in Cleveland used to air hours of game shows after NBC's last offering (Friday Night Videos or whatever would have followed Letterman in 1988-90), until their morning programming started at 5:30 AM.  A sampling of the shows which aired in this block include Wipeout, The Gong Show with Don Bleu, High Rollers, The Last Word, The All New Dating Game, the last season of Win, Lose or Draw, and 3rd Degree!.  This block ran for close to two years.  College Mad House was somehow in that mix as well.

WJW had their own late block in 1990-1, with Tic Tac Dough and Quiz Kids Challenge from 4 to 5 AM, later replaced with The Challengers and The Joker's Wild.

WUAB relegated The Price is Right to 1:30 AM in 1994.

The most recent occurrence, as far as I know, was Family Feud after Later on WKYC in the last decade (for a good portion of Karn's run).

I think there were some other game shows which were "grave-yarded" o'er the Cleveland stations.  Davidson Pyramid was one of those, but I'm not sure if it was on WUAB or WKYC.  The Pat Bullard version of "Love Connection" was on pretty late, ISTR.

Meanwhile, in 1992, CBS had a late night block of Game Shows: "A Perfect Score" and "Personals", the latter show was done in the lounge of the LAX Hilton(?) and was hosted by Michael Burger, so you could imagine the cheapness of the "set".
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:22:20 PM by TimK2003 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 09:33:31 PM »
Meanwhile, in 1992, CBS had a late night block of Game Shows: "A Perfect Score" and "Personals", the latter show was done in the lounge of the LAX Hilton(?) and was hosted by Michael Burger, so you could imagine the cheapness of the "set".
Perfect Score was even cheaper...from what I remember, a bunch of glass brick walls (think Dawson 94's set). Personals was a Rick Rosner production. I managed to find an intro, and it's a point-and-shoot, but watchable.

It being a Rosner production, I'm sure that's Stormy Sachs leading the band.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 09:34:01 PM »
I think there were some other game shows which were "grave-yarded" o'er the Cleveland stations.  Davidson Pyramid was one of those, but I'm not sure if it was on WUAB or WKYC.  The Pat Bullard version of "Love Connection" was on pretty late, ISTR.
I only remember Davidson Pyramid on WAKR-23 around 5:30 PM, not on any Cleveland proper stations.

Pat Bullard's Love Connection was definitely on WUAB, paired with Change of Heart at the Midnight-1 AM hour.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 09:45:57 PM »
WCBS banished the Garagiola "Strike It Rich" to overnight after it did nothing at 7 PM.    I also remember that overnight was when Jeopardy was first airing in the NY market in 1984.

I don't remember "Strike it Rich" airing at 7PM...I think WLoD was the first show to get the 7pm timeslot on WCBS when CBS Evening News moved up to 6:30. SiR I believe aired at either 9 or 9:30am.

I have a WCBS promo for Strike It Rich somewhere circa Fall 86.   It might have been 7:30 and not 7 but it was definitely for an evening slot.

Sodboy13

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 10:02:57 PM »
WLS had Davidson Squares in the post-Nightline slot, after doing the same with Headline Chasers and $OTC. I want to say "Third Degree" may have had an overnight slot on WMAQ, and that some sort of panel game with Jon Byner ran late nights on WPWR.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

SuperMatch93

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 10:28:29 PM »
Other Chicago late night airings: (from the Tribune's listings)

-High Rollers (and later, House Party with Steve Doocy) aired at 3am on WMAQ
-Anything for Money aired at 1am on WMAQ
-By 1984, Family Feud aired at 1:30am on WMAQ
-Every Second Counts aired at midnight on WLS
-Couch Potatoes aired at midnight on WPWR
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:32:26 PM by SuperMatch93 »
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 10:58:42 PM »
A couple more...WTKR aired 3rd Degree sometime in the middle of the night. I wanna say 3 a.m.

There was a very obscure dating show called Infatuation, hosted by Bob Eubanks. It was more or less a show where people revealed secret crushes on someone, not really a game show. Anyway, it also aired around 3 or 4 a.m. on WAVY c. 1993-94.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 11:37:59 PM »
WPWR also had Change of Heart and Bullard's Love Connection after 11:00. Double run in both markets.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 12:32:45 AM »

I have a WCBS promo for Strike It Rich somewhere circa Fall 86.   It might have been 7:30 and not 7 but it was definitely for an evening slot.

And it wasn't 7:30 either because Wheel was airing there.

I seem.to remember WCBS airing Strike it Rich in the noon timeslot that opened up when Press Your Luck bit the dust.  It was because of that ratings flop that WCBS started its noon newscast, making them only the second in the market with one at the time.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jamey Greek

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 01:00:49 AM »
In Atlanta:

WGCL: Anderson Feud (first few eps and again in 2001), CS2001, TTTT2000

WSB: Rafferty Card Sharks, HR87, Davidson Squares, Love Connection

Minneapolis/St. Paul

KSTP: Perfect Match (Bob Goen version)

In Orlando:

WKCF: Love Connection (Pat Bullard) Cbange of Heart

WESH: 3rd degree, Talkabout, TJW90

WKMG (WCPX): Wipeout

Jamey Greek

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 01:01:57 AM »
The oldest one I recall in Indy was WRTV airing "Strike it Rich" after Nightline.

KSTP in. Minneapolis/St. Paul aired Perfect Match (Bob Goen) post-nightlife

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 01:12:38 AM »
I seem to remember WPIX exiling Change of Heart to late night at some point but don't remember when. I'm pretty sure it spent most of its run there, as well, and I wanna believe it was after they crowbarred Maury away from WNBC (it and Love, Bullard Style were airing in the pre-Springer hour).

I'm fairly certain that WWOR put Feud on at 5:30 pm when they picked it up and it was before the end of 1991 because they snagged the thirteen-week second season of Davidson Pyramid to air with it.

(Who aired Catch Phrase and Break the Bank in New York? Anybody?)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:18:10 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022