Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Late nighters in syndication...  (Read 65184 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Late nighters in syndication...
« on: July 22, 2014, 01:01:23 AM »
How many of you remember what game shows aired in those pesky latenight slots where shows go when there's no other spot for them or their ratings are down in your markets?

Qualifiers: first run single episodes only, hours from 12:00-6:00 am

In my market:

WCBS: Match Game '98, Sex Wars (IIRC), Win Lose or Draw (last season), Weakest Link (second season)
WNBC: Matchmaker, Joker 90, TTD 90, Liars Club from the 80s, Kennedy TPIR, Jeopardy (first few months), Davidson Pyramid
WABC: Name That Tune, Headline Chasers, Card Sharks
WWOR: Feud during at least one of Combs' last two years
WPIX: Street Smarts

Feel free to fill.in whatever gaps and share yer own.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

J.R.

Re: Late nighters in syndication...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 01:12:44 AM »
The FOX affiliate here in Des Moines (KDSM) aired an hour block of TTTT2000 and CS01 at midnight.

I know a station here aired Street Smarts late too, not sure where though (might've been the same FOX station).
-Joe Raygor

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:15:59 AM »
I believe KNBC also aired Davidson Pyramid very late as well.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 01:17:15 AM »
WLS aired Headline Chasers and syndie $ale late, and WMAQ aired Crosswits '86 and TTD '90 late.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 01:25:23 AM »
TJW and TTD 90 aired from 1-2 a.m. on WTKR.

The last few months of Combs' syndicated Feud aired after midnight on WTVZ...however, this seemed to be a rerun package. I distinctly remember an LAPD vs. NYPD episode from the late-80s airing well into 1994. Did any other markets get this?

The last few months of Pictionary aired around 2:30 a.m. or so on WGNT.

In fall 2001, season 3 of Feud and To Tell the Truth aired around 6-7 a.m. on WVBT. A couple months into the season, TTTT went to then-new WSKY, and stayed in a 7-8 p.m. slot until it was canceled the following spring. Feud moved to 2:30 am in September 2002, before finally moving to mornings on WTVZ in spring 2003, where it's remained ever since, never returning to overnights.

Card Sharks '01 aired at 1:35 am or so, on WTKR. Apparently, none of the stations in this area had faith in the Pearson shows that fall. :-P

The secondary episode of Donnymid aired at 2:05 am on WTKR (the primary ep. got a nice 10 am run).

Street Smarts alternated between daytime and overnight shifts here. When on overnights, I think it aired around 2 am...I wanna say that was also WVBT.

Did 100% air anywhere during daytime hours? I remember taking a trip to Dallas and wanting to stay up until 3 am to see it, but fell asleep.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:38:14 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

beatlefreak84

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 01:33:26 AM »
I definitely remember, in Chicago, WLS moving "The Challengers" to an overnight slot when its ratings were sliding.  WMAQ also aired TJW and TTD '90 in a single block overnight, and (IIRC) Davidson Pyramid then as well after TTD '90 left the air.

I only remember these because this was the time I learned how to program a VCR.  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 01:55:30 AM »
The last few months of Combs' syndicated Feud aired after midnight on WTVZ...however, this seemed to be a rerun package. I distinctly remember an LAPD vs. NYPD episode from the late-80s airing well into 1994. Did any other markets get this?

I believe WWOR did as well; I also remember seeing a second episode in the hour block that had the bank value with only room for 3 spots and thinking it was an older episode.....

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 03:28:23 AM »
I definitely remember, in Chicago, WLS moving "The Challengers" to an overnight slot when its ratings were sliding.  WMAQ also aired TJW and TTD '90 in a single block overnight, and (IIRC) Davidson Pyramid then as well after TTD '90 left the air.

Weird, I thought the biggest market clearances for The Challengers were the NBC O&Os. Guess not.

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SwohS Emag

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 08:23:44 AM »
WTVF-Nashville had "Pictionary" at 2:37am CT during the 96-97 season.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »
The oldest one I recall in Indy was WRTV airing "Strike it Rich" after Nightline. 

"Home Shopping Game" also got that timeslot.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:38:43 PM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 10:31:24 AM »
WKYC here in Cleveland used to air hours of game shows after NBC's last offering (Friday Night Videos or whatever would have followed Letterman in 1988-90), until their morning programming started at 5:30 AM.  A sampling of the shows which aired in this block include Wipeout, The Gong Show with Don Bleu, High Rollers, The Last Word, The All New Dating Game, the last season of Win, Lose or Draw, and 3rd Degree!.  This block ran for close to two years.  College Mad House was somehow in that mix as well.

WJW had their own late block in 1990-1, with Tic Tac Dough and Quiz Kids Challenge from 4 to 5 AM, later replaced with The Challengers and The Joker's Wild.

WUAB relegated The Price is Right to 1:30 AM in 1994.

The most recent occurrence, as far as I know, was Family Feud after Later on WKYC in the last decade (for a good portion of Karn's run).

Winkfan

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »
Some I can remember:

KCBS (Los Angeles; CBS station) Wipeout was moved from afternoons to late night in late 1988

KNBC (Los Angeles; NBC station): Cross-Wits in 1986; Matchmaker and Love Me, Love Me Not during 1987-88; $100k Pyramid in 1991; they even showed Scrabble during the tail end of its original run in 1990.

KCOP (Los Angeles): Straight To The Heart in 1989

KCOY (Santa Maria, CA; CBS station): Match Game moved to late night in 1999

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Johnissoevil

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 05:38:56 PM »
How many of you remember what game shows aired in those pesky latenight slots where shows go when there's no other spot for them or their ratings are down in your markets?

Qualifiers: first run single episodes only, hours from 12:00-6:00 am

In my market:

WCBS: Match Game '98, Sex Wars (IIRC), Win Lose or Draw (last season), Weakest Link (second season)
WNBC: Matchmaker, Joker 90, TTD 90, Liars Club from the 80s, Kennedy TPIR, Jeopardy (first few months), Davidson Pyramid
WABC: Name That Tune, Headline Chasers, Card Sharks
WWOR: Feud during at least one of Combs' last two years
WPIX: Street Smarts

Feel free to fill.in whatever gaps and share yer own.

Combs Feud spent a brief period in the overnight hours on WNBC in 1989 before returning to 7:30pm, again in 1990 for a short time until the Challengers got moved to the morning hours, and from September 91 until its move to WWOR in February 92.  WWOR had Feud on at 6am at the beginning of the 92-93 season, then moved it to 1am after a month or two, until the 93-94 season, when it moved to the 4pm hour.

As for this market, Erie, PA, the last season of syndicated Deal or No Deal was on at 2am on WFXP.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

colonial

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 05:42:38 PM »
I seem to remember both WCBS and WNBC doing their own version of "binge viewing" with their syndie game offering in the late 80s and early 90s.

WCBS aired Tomarken "Wipeout" on weekend overnights with three episodes on Saturday night/Sunday morning (The NY Daily News noted this unusual schedule in a blurb in their TV section prior to the show's premiere) and two more episodes on Sunday night/Monday morning.  WNBC did the same with the last syndicated Convy season of "Win, Lose or Draw."

Also, I seem to remember WCBS airing the Weller season of "W, L or D" after the CBS morning show for a short time, although it did air late night for most of its run.

In the DC area, WUSA shipped O'Hurley "To Tell the Truth" to overnights after it failed to get viewers at 7pm ET, then did the same with "Weakest Link."  The 2001 revival of "Card Sharks" aired overnight (believe 1:30am ET) on WUSA for its entire run.

JD

Eric Paddon

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 06:43:04 PM »
WCBS banished the Garagiola "Strike It Rich" to overnight after it did nothing at 7 PM.    I also remember that overnight was when Jeopardy was first airing in the NY market in 1984.