Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndicated game shows that got an early start....  (Read 4425 times)

aaron sica

Syndicated game shows that got an early start....
« on: June 14, 2014, 06:10:41 AM »
So the thread about the Ohio State eps of WoF got me thinking a bit.

This happened in Scranton in '86, and I wonder if it happened anywhere else and with any other shows.

Sometime in either late July or August, "Crosswits" premiered at 7:30 on WNEP-16 (the ABC station). The previous occupant of the time slot was Wheel, which in September was moving to WYOU-22 (the CBS station). For this brief time, Wheel did not air in this market! I'm thinking that the reason it left so abruptly was because its time ran out? It premiered on the station at the same time frame (late July/early August) in 1984, so it must have been a 2 year thing.

WNEP actually also premiered a game show a year LATE - "Split Second" and "High Rollers" aired in the 9am-10am hour for the '87-'88 season..Those two shows had the dubious distinction of replacing long-running kids show "Hatchy Milatchy" on the weekday schedule (it moved to Saturdays and pre-empted some cartoons).

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 06:25:54 AM by aaron sica »

Ian Wallis

Re: Syndicated game shows that got an early start....
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:45:50 PM »
The syndicated Joker's Wild started on WIVB Buffalo the last week of August, 1977.  Prior to that they had been airing reruns of CBS episodes.  Wheel of Fortune actually started Aug 22, 1983 on WKBW.

As for other shows, in the days of the "checkboard" format, some shows premiered in our area before such books as the Encyclopedia stated as the debut date - such as Break the Bank, $25,000 Pyramid, Name That Tune to name a few.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:01:32 AM »
This might not quite qualify, but several shows started locally before being launched in syndication.  "Oh My Word" and "Anniversary Game" are two examples off the top of my head.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 01:40:02 PM »
On WFTV J! Premiered a week early on September 10th back to back with $100k Name That Tune.

snowpeck

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
On WFTV J! Premiered a week early on September 10th back to back with $100k Name That Tune.
September 10, 1984 was the national debut date.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Jamey Greek

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »

Well Greg, EOTVGS lists the premiere date as September 17, 1984

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 02:21:18 PM »

Well Greg, EOTVGS lists the premiere date as September 17, 1984

As a proud owner of the EOTVGS myself (I own the 3rd edition from 1999), they are not the be all, end all, of game show trivia. For example, there is not one mention of Michael Larson in the book's entry on Press Your Luck.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »
As a proud owner of the EOTVGS myself (I own the 3rd edition from 1999), they are not the be all, end all, of game show trivia. For example, there is not one mention of Michael Larson in the book's entry on Press Your Luck.
In 1999, that story wasn't really as commonly known as it is today, and was probably more of an urban legend than anything. Not really the best example.

And yes, I know it was covered by TV Guide in the mid-90s. Doesn't mean the EOTVGS had to mention it, or that they got it wrong because they excluded it.

As for Jeopardy's premiere date, it's been established a million times that J! and Wheel premiered on different dates depending on the city. Some markets debuted Trebek on the 10th, others the 17th. It's really as simple as that.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »
In 1999, that story wasn't really as commonly known as it is today, and was probably more of an urban legend than anything. Not really the best example.

And yes, I know it was covered by TV Guide in the mid-90s. Doesn't mean the EOTVGS had to mention it, or that they got it wrong because they excluded it.
But that's why you have a yearbook editor, isn't it? To choose what's included and to catch errors of fact and typography. They cover the scandals, Thom McKee, some of the big winners on Jeopardy, I think Michael Larson can get some ink too. They certainly went well into the weeds on some articles to the detriment of others.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 03:39:30 PM »
That's a good point. It's been awhile since I've picked up a copy, but I guess I only took that stance because, even with the TV Guide article, his episodes hadn't seen the light of day.

Didn't realize they mentioned big Jeopardy winners. Might need to trek to my local library. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!