Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Big Brother and Let's Make a Deal to Finally Take the Plunge...  (Read 19029 times)

Jimmy Owen

Re: Big Brother and Let's Make a Deal to Finally Take the Plunge...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »
According to Wikipedia: "Also in 1972, the last holdout among daytime network programs converted to color, resulting in the first completely all-color network season." Granted, grain of salt and all that, but that's a lot later than I thought it would be.
Of course, on Wikipedia, hosts are "presenters" and announcers are "narrators."

Which has what to do with the quoted statement?
Wikipedia is frequently incorrect.  The only thing on network daytime I can think of that might have been B&W in 72 would be the occassional Lucy or Bev. Hillbillies rerun.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »
Wikipedia is frequently incorrect.

So using the terms "presenter" and "narrator"; the terms used in pretty much every English-speaking country in the world OUTSIDE of North America, that's "incorrect"? Is that really your argument?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Thunder

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »
Since you took that bait, that makes his post an automatic 10 out of 10. Am I right on the scoring system?

clemon79

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »
Since you took that bait, that makes his post an automatic 10 out of 10. Am I right on the scoring system?

It would if it wasn't known far and wide that I consider him to be nothing more than a common (and extremely poor) troll anyhow and was just trying to get it on the record that was what he was doing in the (probably misguided) hope that one day something is done about it.

Thunder

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »
You won't lose any "King Of The Internet" points for admitting that you swallowed that bait like a 40 pound catfish. :D

clemon79

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 12:54:39 PM »
You won't lose any "King Of The Internet" points for admitting that you swallowed that bait like a 40 pound catfish. :D

Probably a good thing I'm not keeping score, then.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »
So using the terms "presenter" and "narrator"; the terms used in pretty much every English-speaking country in the world OUTSIDE of North America, that's "incorrect"? Is that really your argument?
I don't see how it could be anything else. "You shouldn't trust Wikipedia because they're frequently wrong" is at least defensible. The problem is appending "They are wrong in this case because they use terms that aren't commonly heard in this country". (He has many other problems, but that's just one.)
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »
Returning us back to the topic...

I suspect it's as Thunder was implying, getting all of those surveillance-type cameras upgraded to HD was probably cost prohibitive, hence them being a holdout.  I suppose they could have done a hybrid broadcast with HD main cameras (for the games and group interviews and whatnot) and then pillarbox the non-HD stuff, but it would have been disjointed.

The pan/tilt/zoom cameras that they use have got to have extremely sensitive controls and amazingly competent operators. We have lots of the high dollar ones at work. I've been using them for years but I still have trouble moving the controls perfectly to follow something or zooming in quickly.

aaron sica

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »
The only thing on network daytime I can think of that might have been B&W in 72 would be the occassional Lucy or Bev. Hillbillies rerun.

That comment made me very curious so I had to look......If daytime reruns on the networks are taken into the equation, then the last possible link to B&W shows (assuming the B&W episodes would still be in the rotation) would be ABC's reruns of "Bewitched". The last telecast for that would have been 7/6/73. Replaced the following Monday with reruns of "The Brady Bunch".

Ian Wallis

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 07:34:03 PM »
ABC actually stopped running the black and white episodes of Bewitched after fall 1969.  It was nothing but the color episodes from then until 7/6/73.

CBS still rotated black and white episodes of Lucy and Beverly Hillbillies as late as about spring '71, but it was all color episodes after that date.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 10:10:44 PM »
ABC actually stopped running the black and white episodes of Bewitched after fall 1969.  It was nothing but the color episodes from then until 7/6/73.

CBS still rotated black and white episodes of Lucy and Beverly Hillbillies as late as about spring '71, but it was all color episodes after that date.

Interesting! It makes me also wonder when those episodes were taken out of the syndicated rotation, too. IIRC, I don't ever remember seeing the B&W episodes until NaN started running the show....

TimK2003

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 10:30:26 PM »
Interesting! It makes me also wonder when those episodes were taken out of the syndicated rotation, too. IIRC, I don't ever remember seeing the B&W episodes until NaN started running the show....

If you are talking Bewitched, MeTV started out with the 1st season B&W eps. when they had Bewitched about a year or so ago.  MeTV is currently running the B&W seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies.

Fedya

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 08:12:36 AM »
I think Nick at Nite was running Bewitched long before there was a MeTV.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 12:27:10 PM »
It was. I remember it airing there in the late-80s/early-90s.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Mike Tennant

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 01:01:17 PM »
It was. I remember it airing there in the late-80s/early-90s.
Indeed. In fact, they even promoted the fact that they would be showing the B&W seasons (of which there were two, not three, as the promo suggests) that hadn't been seen in years: