Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cedric Doesn't Want to Be a Millionaire Host  (Read 17773 times)

chad1m

Cedric Doesn't Want to Be a Millionaire Host
« on: April 30, 2014, 05:43:54 PM »
Deadline has reported that Cedric "The Entertainer" won't be coming for a second season of hosting Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. The show is moving production to Connecticut and he didn't find it feasible to come along for the ride.

I gave him a few months as host and tried to enjoy him, but I really couldn't. Granted, they can always find someone "worse" but I'm curious to see who will fill the role.

Update: A possible successor is apparently Terry Crews. Alright, then.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:08:38 PM by chad1m »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Cedric Doesn't Want to Be a Millionaire Host
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 06:13:10 PM »
I gave him a few months as host and tried to enjoy him, but I really couldn't. Granted, they can always find someone "worse" but I'm curious to see who will fill the role.
What did he do/not do that you didn't like?
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 06:21:54 PM »
What did he do/not do that you didn't like?
I felt like he forced the comedy ahead of the game. I didn't think his personality meshed with the kind of show he's on and his attempts to inject humor took away from the game. One moment that really was the "that's it" point for me was him "hurrying up" a contestant just to make a joke (video at the bottom). I may be blowing out of proportion but re-watching it months later, it's how I feel. I think it's a microcosm of the bigger picture with him.

http://youtu.be/w5OV84VrNN8

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 06:44:57 PM »
Isn't the joke you're blowing out of proportion (and you are) a stereotypical game show host joke? Pretty sure you'd see that anywhere.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

PYLdude

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:19:16 PM »
Re: Ced leaving.

I was VERY critical of the idea of having Cedric take over. Because even though I did enjoy some of his work, I felt he was way out of his element.

Sure, he had some blips along the way. But let me say this, I feel he has done an admirable job as host. He proved me wrong. And even if he wasn't as polished as could be, I didn't feel he did anything to take away from the show. And I'm not just saying that because I was on the show with him. Cedric brought his own style to the proceedings and even if you didn't enjoy it, you have to admit that nothing was lost.

Although I do have to imagine, with this being the third straight year of changing taping locations and hosts, it's gonna wear on people. Which sucks because I thought the Rando-Quiz format did inject some life back intothe show that the clock era really sapped from it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:24:14 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 11:31:59 PM »
If there's anything to remember, it's that Family Feud has somehow remained on the air for 15 years with four hosts. Then again, that's a different style of show, and it hasn't radically changed its format, except for the scoring.

I'd like to see them go back to having a host with news chops, but if Cedric kept ratings solid, I guess that's the route they're taking. I know Terry Crews has been the go-to guy for a lot of stuff (three sitcoms in the last 10 years and a few movie roles), and I like his work on some of those shows, but I'm not so sure here. I get that the days of "traditional" hosts are more or less over, but this seems more like reaching for whatever random name is big right now.

ETA: I agree with Chris...that was more of a game show throwaway line. I immediately thought of John Davidson on Hollywood Squares joking that it was only a half-hour show...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 01:09:02 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

cyclone45

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 12:48:24 AM »
Isn't the joke you're blowing out of proportion (and you are) a stereotypical game show host joke? Pretty sure you'd see that anywhere.

This...He would have been better suited for a show like Family Feud. Millionaire is more pressure packed.

PYLdude

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 01:05:01 AM »

This...He would have been better suited for a show like Family Feud. Millionaire is more pressure packed.

Um...I said Cedric did a decent job. So you're not actually agreeing with me.

PYLdude

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 02:37:14 AM »
ETA: I agree with Chris...that was more of a game show throwaway line. I immediately thought of John Davidson on Hollywood Squares joking that it was only a half-hour show...

I'm pretty sure I've seen Pat Sajak say something like that too. But it's not like Cedric said anything that was out of the ordinary.

If I noticed anything other than this guy's freezing (like I did using both of my jumps) it was how much he looked like Ced. As a matter of fact, I thought he was upon first glance.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 03:07:53 AM »
I was confused for a second too. Looking at the screenshot, I actually asked myself when did Ced lose weight. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JakeT

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 03:54:55 AM »
I know it shouldn't matter but Cedric wearing the hat bothers me...and please don't Steve Beverly-me but I'm also kinda bugged by a host who doesn't actually use a last name...just is kinda weird to me...

Pity...Cedric no longer wants to "entertain" Millionaire viewers...<ducking>

JakeT
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:01:45 AM by JakeT »

cmjb13

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 10:05:53 AM »
Feud kept being renewed because it's dirt cheap to produce even when it reached low level ratings. Probably the same reason why this show is still around long after it should have been gone.

CT isn't really that far from NY so I can't take his explanation at face value.

a production-base in Connecticut would make it quite difficult to maneuver the many moving parts on my plate

It's not like they are moving the show cross country. I can't help but think a pay cut was involved in some way and he said no thanks.

In theory, hiring Cedric should have saved millions of dollars because I can't see them paying him anywhere near what they were paying Meridith.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:16:15 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

colonial

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 11:57:49 AM »
Connecticut is one of many states trying to lure TV shows and films from NYC/LA with tax breaks and the like.  A few years back, NBC Universal moved several of its syndie shows to Connecticut (daytime DOND, Povich, Springer, Wilkos). 

Cedric was brought to WWTBAM to give an aging show a boost.  Steve Harvey helped bring FF to new heights, so why not hire a similar performer to do the same with WWTBAM?  Unfortunately, these are a two very different series, and Cedric never seemed a proper fit.  Ratings have been flat compared to the last Vieira season, and the show is getting less than half the overall ratings that FF, WOF and J! get.

Cedric got canned, plain and simple, and both he and the show put a "positive spin" on the development by describing the split as amicable.

JD

BillCullen1

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »
Cedric got canned, plain and simple, and both he and the show put a "positive spin" on the development by describing the split as amicable.

JD   

Do you know this for sure? Regardless of whether Cedric quit or was canned, if I were the producer, I'd be calling Al Roker and Tom Bergeron, who both live on the East Coast, and try to lure one of them for the job.

PYLdude

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 12:57:23 PM »
I love how the conspiracy theories are starting already.

If he was canned, don't you think they would've made that decision earlier, not right up against the start of audition season? And I have an extremely hard time believing a pay cut was the reason.

The whole idea that it shouldn't matter the location is particularly misleading too. Not very many planes serve Connecticut from California, so that is problem one. Second, I don't know how much of this day Cedric was a part of, but a Millionaire production day can last up to eleven hours, if not more, and starts early. Throw in commuting time to and from the studio, and you can certainly see why this might not be the most optimal arrangement. Because he basically has to use the NYC airports for more frequent service and would have to go to and from there to CT either way.