Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Crackle Getting Sports Jeopardy! with Dan Patrick  (Read 23759 times)

Bobby B.

Re: Crackle Getting Sports Jeopardy! with Dan Patrick
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 12:44:02 PM »
I didn't see anything specifically stating this, but I'm wondering if a contestant on the sports version would still be eligible for the main show.

pacdude

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »
The general Eligibility rules for Jeopardy! states that if you were ever on a version of Jeopardy! hosted by Alex Trebek, you're ineligible.

Which is why that's my next try. Bob Bergen is no Alex Trebek.

/even though he's amazing.
//he introduced my senior portfolio.

Jay Temple

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 02:58:46 PM »
They released more information.  Each game, the winner will receive $5,000, second place $2,000, third place $1,000.

http://sportsjeopardy.azurewebsites.net/download-about.pdf

And the three highest scorers will come back at the end of the season for a $50,000 two-game playoff as well...
That's a great way to make the wagering matter in a runaway game!
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 03:18:48 PM »
How many people would forego a guaranteed $5,000 for the chance at a further $50k (and that's all it would be; a chance) while jeopardizing their sure $5,000!

/realized that Jay's point wasn't about the championship, but the method of entry!
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 03:26:53 PM »
How many people would forego a guaranteed $5,000 for the chance at a further $50k (and that's all it would be; a chance) while jeopardizing their sure $5,000!

The same number of them that would subsequently be in my kitchen.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 03:27:44 PM »
They're only risking $4,000 of the $5,000.  Setting that aside, it would depend on how public the scores are during taping.  If a contestant knew how much he had to wager to enter the leader-board, and he was one in of the last games taped, he might consider that to be a worthy gamble.  Without that information, one would likely not enter into such a Jeopardy!
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 03:30:35 PM »

/realized that Jay's point wasn't about the championship, but the method of entry!

Don't fully underestimate the idea. I can't speak for wagering but can and will for taking gambles you might not necessarily consider.

If I'm there and I've got a good enough lead where I can play with my points and still walk with the top prize if I get it wrong, I'm probably gonna take the gamble and try to improve my position as much as I feel I can without jeopardizing my chance to win, knowing that I might also be in the running for something better.

I would also need to be fairly certain that I knew the subject well enough. Can't forget that.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »
If I'm there and I've got a good enough lead where I can play with my points and still walk with the top prize if I get it wrong, I'm probably gonna take the gamble and try to improve my position as much as I feel I can without jeopardizing my chance to win, knowing that I might also be in the running for something better.
But that's not very interesting.

The situation I think Jay was imagining is a contestant who has the win locked up and can vault onto the leaderboard with a big bet and a correct response in FJ; but if he's wrong he stands to lose the game entirely. No mention was made of what the championship runners-up would take home, so that can't enter into the discussion as yet. If this was done privately ("And for everyone at home here's what the leaderboard looks like after this game") I think it becomes much more interesting an exercise.

I forgot the part where there's fifty regular season games. I didn't care for it when Hollywood Squares did that during their tournaments, I don't care for it here.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:43:34 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 05:18:41 PM »
I will definitely sign up for an audition...if and when they make that info available.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

colonial

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 05:33:22 PM »
I will definitely sign up for an audition...if and when they make that info available.

http://www.crackle.com/outreach/sportsjeopardy/

As mentioned before, they've already announced the following audition sites for June and July -- NYC/Philly, Chicago, Dallas, Las Vegas and Los Angeles.  The wording seems to suggest that other audition sites are a possibility but not definite (surprised there's no audition site in the sports-crazed Southeast).

JD

PYLdude

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 05:36:39 PM »

http://www.crackle.com/outreach/sportsjeopardy/

Redirects to crackle.com main. Hence my point.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 05:37:59 PM »
Maybe on your device: I didn't have any problem getting to the relevant page.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 05:41:48 PM »
Maybe on your device: I didn't have any problem getting to the relevant page.

Probably it. Will need to dig out the compy for this one.

PYLdude

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 07:33:41 PM »
And done...we'll see where this leads.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 09:46:02 PM »
The situation I think Jay was imagining is a contestant who has the win locked up and can vault onto the leaderboard with a big bet and a correct response in FJ; but if he's wrong he stands to lose the game entirely. No mention was made of what the championship runners-up would take home, so that can't enter into the discussion as yet.
Even still, why would you give up $5,000 (or $4,000) that you've already got locked up for a tourney slot when you presumably won't know how much you even need to get in? I only say presumably because after 30 years of tournaments, I wouldn't see why the Jeopardy staff would ever give contestants in later games that distinct advantage.

This could be really interesting in that contestants who stand pat in runaway games could very well lose out to contestants who play high scoring, yet close games and need to bet the farm to win.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.