Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How would you revive...Tic Tac Dough?  (Read 21490 times)

ilb4ever2000

How would you revive...Tic Tac Dough?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2003, 01:57:36 AM »
(4) The thought of using any B-E endgame in 2003 is hilarious. Ha ha ha [cough] [hack] [cough]. Keeping the spirit of the original is important, yes, but sometimes it's just a good idea to take a flamethrower to certain aspects of the original. Even stealing the endgame from the Jack Clark Caught in the Act unsold pilot in the trading rounds would be more true to tic-tac-dough than picking numbers hoping not to find a frighteningly bad computer dragon behind it :^)

I don't completely agree with that. I think with some modification, the \"Face the Devil\" and \"Beat the Dragon\" games could work.

And I agree with the notion that answering questions would be required to gain boxes in a TTD bonus round, whatever you decided to go with.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2003, 02:42:08 AM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jun 25 2003, 10:57 PM\'] I don't completely agree with that. I think with some modification, the "Face the Devil" and "Beat the Dragon" games could work.
 [/quote]
 I admit to having a soft spot for Beat The Devil, but then that's the \"Lady Luck is Queen!\" aspect of TJW that is appealing to me. Plus I LOVE that old-school reel protection system. I think I'm gonna go to FlashGames now when I get done here... :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

johnnya2k3

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2003, 03:58:34 AM »
I already brought this up on the GSN.com board months ago.

Anyway, the first and second games will be worth $1,000; third game, $2,000; fourth game (if time allows), $3,000. The outside box questions are worth $750 and center box is $1,500; if no tic-tac-toe, any money accumulated in the pot will be rolled over to the next game. Of course, the person with the most money at the end wins.

In the bonus round, get a tic-tac-toe without hitting on the dragon. If you do, you lose everything; but if you get the Dragon Slayer like on the 1990 version; you win the money plus a prize package.

Contestants who retire undefeated after five days gets a new car and will return for a $100,000 Tournament of Champions at the end of the season.

And the theme music? It'll be fresh and new like Pyramid's; the old one just won't cut it for 2003.

Jonathan Allen

whampyl03

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2003, 07:14:11 AM »
Well, here we go again...

Not much of a save, but here goes nothing

Main game...

$500 for the outsides, $1,000 for the insides, if in case of a tie, the pot is carried over to the next round (basically the same rules as the classic version).  To combat the question difficulty problem, the new version of the game will use slightly more difficult questions.

Bonus Game (Beat the Dragon)...

ACTUAL SKILL WILL BE USED!  Instead of the classic pick a number and avoid the bad guy B&E standard bonus games (that I really like) this one will need actual skill!  Of the 9 catagories, the champion will have the honor of removing one of the catagories of there choosing.  Those 8 catagories will be shuffled along the board, as well as the mean ol' really bad CG looking Dragon as well. (had to carry somthing over from the old show).  The object of the game will be to make $1000 or make a Side to side, up and down, or diagonal \"Tic Tac Dough\".  How do they do that you ask?  Well, a light will be bouncing around the board (ala PYL) and the champ will have a plunger in front of them.  When they stop the board, it will land on a square, they answer a question on the squares catagory, and you will recieve $200, and a X in the square, an incorrect answer will give you no money and an O in that square.  You can stop any time and take the money you've accumulated.  BUT if you make it completely impossible for you to win, or you hit the dragon, you lose EVERYTHING you've accumulated in the bonus game.  BUT if you make a \"Tic Tac Dough\" or make $1,000, you win a prize package worth over $12,000! (NOTE!!!  when you put an X or O in the square, the light won't \"bounce\" on that square anymore).

WINNER TAKE ALL TOURNEYMENT OF CHAMPIONS (sorry for screaming)

At the end of each other season, the top 8 money winners come back for a special tourneyment of champions.  First, before any games start, $100,000 is added to the pot.  Next, the players are \"seeded\"  (meaning the top winner of the year takes #1, the second highest winner is #2, exc...)

Now, how more money is added to the pot is in the games, instead of the winner taking the pot at the end of the game, all the money accumulated in the games adds to the $100,000 & by a modified bonus game of BTD for the champ where you only play to add to the pot.  It's the same rules, but instead of a prize package, if they conquer the dragon, they add an extra $15,000 to the pot.

All first and second rounds are best 2 out of 3, and the championship match is best 3 out of 5.

(Part 2 of this post will have a description of the Tourney, and other odds and ends)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2003, 07:26:44 AM by whampyl03 »

whampyl03

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2003, 07:25:03 AM »
Part 2

Winner take all Tourney of Champs Example

In the first heat, $8000 was made between the 2 players, and the winner won $16,000 for the pot in BTD

Pot now stands at... (Ding! Ding!) $124,000

In heat 2, $9500 was made between the 2 players, and the winner failed to beat the dragon...

Pot now stands at  $133,500

Heat 3 had $8000 made between both players, and the dragon was beaten for another $16,000

Pot now stands at $157,500

Heat 4 had $18,500 made between both players, and the dragon was beat for another $16,000

Pot now stands at $192,000

The winner of heat one plays the winner of heat 4.  The winner of that match was the winner of heat one, and they both add another $10,500 to the pot, the winner of heat one was beaten by the dragon.

Pot now stands at... $202,500

The winners of heats 2 and 3 play, the winner of heat 3 won, and both players place $22,000 into the pot.  The dragon was beaten for another $16,000

Pot now stands at... $240,500

The championship battle between the winner of heat 1, and the winner of heat 3 takes place.  The winner of the championship is the winner of heat 3.  Both players put another $36,500 into the pot. The pot now stands at  $277,000.

The winner of heat 3 wins the pot ($277,000)

Everybody else recieves $0

Confused Yet???

As for the set... I made another design that I think is better (but you can be the judge of that)
Links for the pics will be posted in a later post

As for the music...  a remake of the original theme (main synthasiser is taken out, and a brass insterment is put in its place)

Is it better now?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2003, 07:36:41 AM by whampyl03 »

whampyl03

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2003, 07:35:33 AM »
Here are the pics of the set.  I think there a bit better than the old design, but that's for you to decide.

http://www.geocities.com/antpollreisz/nttd...l?1056627284910

byrd62

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2003, 08:43:51 AM »
Of the 9 categories, the champion will have the honor of removing one of the catagories of there choosing. Those 8 categories will be shuffled along the board, as well as the mean ol' really bad CG looking Dragon as well. (had to carry somthing over from the old show). The object of the game will be to make $1000 or make a Side to side, up and down, or diagonal \"Tic Tac Dough\". How do they do that you ask? Well, a light will be bouncing around the board (ala PYL) and the champ will have a plunger in front of them. When they stop the board, it will land on a square, they answer a question on the square's category, and you will receive $200, and a X in the square, an incorrect answer will give you no money and an O in that square. You can stop any time and take the money you've accumulated. BUT if you make it completely impossible for you to win, or you hit the dragon, you lose EVERYTHING you've accumulated in the bonus game. BUT if you make a \"Tic Tac Dough\" or make $1,000, you win a prize package worth over $12,000! (NOTE!!! when you put an X or O in the square, the light won't \"bounce\" on that square anymore).

Sounds good, but a version I have in mind would involve squares numbered 1-9, with all the questions being from just one category, either predetermined by the staff, or chosen by the champion from a list.  The champion will choose the square, then answer a question; square #5
is a 2-part question.  Correct answer earns a \"$\" [dollar sign] in that square, but incorrect or no answer means a dragon[roar sound effect].  Three dragons in a row, and you lose; three dollar signs in a row, and you win either a prize package [self-contained version] or 10x the amount earned in the main game [straddled version].  A \"cat's game\" is worth $1000 unless there are five dragons, in which case, it's worth nothing.

TonicBH

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2003, 10:29:10 AM »
I'd keep the basic essentials of the Winker's Version, and yes, this would straddle.

I'd use TTD90's values: $1,000 for center, $500 for other boxes. In case of a tie, pot carries over to next board.

Bonus Round: I'd mix TTD90 elements here. Maybe use the same bonus round, but instead of a \"Dragon Slayer\", you got a \"Golden X/O\". The \"Golden X/O\" works the same way as TTD90's Dragon Slayer: Doubles the pot and you win automatically. If this doesn't work, the classic \"TIC\" and \"TAC\" could also work. You could also lose if you get TTD with the other symbol.

Theme: Keep the 1970s theme. Nothing wrong with it.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2003, 10:35:00 AM »
Interesting that this should come up. I posted an idea on the GSN boards, here it is:

As always, two contestants compete. Each regular box is worth $500 into the pot with a correct answer, and the center box is worth $1,000 to the pot. First to a Tic Tac Dough wins. If there is a tie, the values increase by $500 for each tie. In addition, there are two black squares on the board (ala the CBS run in '78.) They can pop up under any category at any time. When a square is black, it is a jump-in question in that category. Also, the TTD90 shuffling rule is used here (it was the one good thing about that version)

In the bonus round, four of the nine squares hold prizes, four have a $ which is worth a progressive amount ($1,000, $2,000, $5,000, $10,000), and the Dragon (not rapping, thank God.) The squares are shuffled and covered. The contestant picks one at a time and can stop after each pick. If the Dragon is picked they lose everything. If all eight safe squares can be picked, the contestant wins everything on the board plus a car.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2003, 11:16:17 AM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 04:25 AM\'] Confused Yet???
 [/quote]
 Yes. And that's a problem.

Is it better now?

No.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mike Tennant

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2003, 11:39:00 AM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 09:35 AM\']In the bonus round, four of the nine squares hold prizes, four have a $ which is worth a progressive amount ($1,000, $2,000, $5,000, $10,000), and the Dragon (not rapping, thank God.) The squares are shuffled and covered. The contestant picks one at a time and can stop after each pick. If the Dragon is picked they lose everything. If all eight safe squares can be picked, the contestant wins everything on the board plus a car.[/quote]
Hmm. . .sounds suspiciously like the original Eye Guess bonus round to me (at least as presented in the home version).  On the other hand, most B & E bonus rounds were some variation on this format, so it seems only appropriate to retain something similar.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2003, 12:33:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 10:39 AM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 09:35 AM\']In the bonus round, four of the nine squares hold prizes, four have a $ which is worth a progressive amount ($1,000, $2,000, $5,000, $10,000), and the Dragon (not rapping, thank God.) The squares are shuffled and covered. The contestant picks one at a time and can stop after each pick. If the Dragon is picked they lose everything. If all eight safe squares can be picked, the contestant wins everything on the board plus a car.[/quote]
Hmm. . .sounds suspiciously like the original Eye Guess bonus round to me (at least as presented in the home version).  On the other hand, most B & E bonus rounds were some variation on this format, so it seems only appropriate to retain something similar. [/quote]
Y'know, you're right! I never thought of that when I came up with it.

We could use something like BtB86's lame-ass bonus game, so it could be worse. :)

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2003, 03:57:02 PM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 12:09 AM\']
Well, Feud reverted back to the 88 theme (yes, I know there is a 10 year diffrence between them both) so maybe there would be a slight glimmer of hope.

[/quote]
 And to be honest, the 88 Feud theme sounds dated with this set as well (not to mention it's poorly edited).  I  loved the 2002 remix, and if anything, the 94 theme would've sounded the best with the updated set.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2003, 06:03:42 PM »
I usually stay out of these threads, but here's the idea I have of having a better end game that still features the Dragon:

DRAGONFIRE

Nine new categories are on the board.  The champ's X, the Dragon's O.  Contestant calls a category and 45-second clock starts.  Host reads question (short and sweet, with some T/Fs).  If contestant gives correct answer, X in the box.  Incorrect answer, pass or no answer in three seconds Dragon gets an O in the box (and with today's CG animation, I'd have the Dragon standing on one side of the board--his \"roar\" would send a smoke ring out of his nostril to become the \"O\").  Repeat until one of these happens:  Get three Xs in a row before time runs out, champ wins bonus (preferably cash rather than merchandise, say $10,000 start and going up $2,500 every time unwon).  Dragon gets three Os in a row, round is over and champ loses.  Time runs out or cat's-eye game, champ gets $300 for every X on the board (we're keeping with the basic \"TTD\" rule that three-in-a-row is the only way to win).

And there you have it--fast-paced, easy to explain, more in line with the front game and hopefully more dramatic.  If 45 seconds is too long, I could see it with 30 seconds.

Well, sirs?

Don Howard

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2003, 09:34:00 PM »
Make it a game of definitions.