Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How would you revive...Tic Tac Dough?  (Read 21643 times)

brianhenke

How would you revive...Tic Tac Dough?
« on: June 25, 2003, 03:19:42 PM »
If you were in charge of putting a revival of Tic Tac Dough, what would you do?

Here is my changes- from-the-Wink-years suggestion:

Two new contestants open each day.  1st question is toss-up for the center square. If the contestant who buzzes in first gets it right, he/she gets the center square and $500 is added to the pot.  The other opponent gets the next questions.

The categories will be shuffled, as before - then the contestant who gets the toss-up question right plays again.

The front game will be a best 2-of-3 format. Each game ends when someone gets Tic Tac Dough, or the first contestant to get 5 spaces in case no TTD can be achieved. The winner must get his/her question right to win.

The front game's winner takes on the returning champion in a one game showdown (shades of Face the Music!). Once again, the winning contestant is the one who gets Tic Tac Dough or gets 5 spaces in case no TTD can be acheived.

The day's champion then goes on to the Bonus Round, where he/she attempts to face the dragon. No rapping or dragon slayers, it will be the endgame we all know, but with updated values and a progressive prize package.  The values on the board should be 200-300-500-600-750-1000, plus Tic, Tac and the dragon. The contestant wins the bonus round by (a) hitting Tic and Tac or (b) accumulating $2,000 in the game without hitting the dragon.  If the dragon is hit, the contestant loses all of his/her winnings. The contestant can stop at any time in the game.

The prize package that the contestant can win should start at $7K. Each day that the endgame isn't won, another prize is added and one will be added every day that someone doesn't win. When a contestant wins the endgame, a new prize package will be up for grabs.

A contestant who wins five games wins a car, which should be in the $20-25K range.  When a contestant wins ten games and two cars, he/she is automatically retired as champion.

How would you update TTD for the 21st century?

Brian

Zina Williams is a tennis-playing sister?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 03:46:09 PM »
Two ideas:

Two individual rounds. The first to get a TTD wins the round and goes to the bonus round.  In the event of a \"cat's game,\" the round will be thrown out and a new one will be played in its place. However, the \"cat\" round will never be seen, in order to save time, a la MGPM tiebreakers, when both contestant gave the same response.  

CENTER SQUARE: $1000
OUTSIDE SQUARES: $500

After the first bonus round, another match is played between the champ and a new contestant, or maybe the first round challenger, a la Pyramid. Bonus round high score returns the next day.

Each round has the center/outside squares worth $1000/$500 for r. 1 and 2, doubling for r. 3 if necessary. High score at the end of the game wins. In the event of a \"cat\" game, then the tie-breaker IS played for double.

Special categories? Sure why not....I don't know any of the original special categories, but keep them just for the spirit of TTD. :-P

BONUS ROUND:
It should NOT be a \"Face the Dragon.\" A bonus round should require SOME sort of skill. What I'm thinking is give the contestant :30 to answer questions and somehow get 3-in-a-row. You answer wrong, you have to take another route, a limited version of Blockbusters.  3-in-a-row wins the prize package. Otherwise the contestant gets $500 for each correct answer.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

KrisW73

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 03:47:35 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Jun 25 2003, 02:19 PM\'] The values on the board should be 200-300-500-600-750-1000, plus Tic, Tac and the dragon. The contestant wins the bonus round by (a) hitting Tic and Tac or (b) accumulating $2,000 in the game without hitting the dragon.  If the dragon is hit, the contestant loses all of his/her winnings. The contestant can stop at any time in the game.

The prize package that the contestant can win should start at $7K. Each day that the endgame isn't won, another prize is added and one will be added every day that someone doesn't win. When a contestant wins the endgame, a new prize package will be up for grabs.

[/quote]
Sorry I would go with the CBS format of $150 for each X or O (Changed to $250) and find the Tic Tac Dough before the dragon.

I thought the TIC and TAC endgame was ok, but what did this particular bonus game have to do with getting  three in a row?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2003, 03:48:49 PM by KrisW73 »

inturnaround

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 04:21:31 PM »
Why change anything except the money? Not a drastic increase, but a lil somethin' somethin'.

TTD is a great game. It's a hard quiz with strategy. The end game always had me fascinated when I was a kid, I'd cringe whenever the dragon came out. It was a successful game in the past and I see no reason why it couldn't be in the future. I just hope they don't \"ultra modernize\" it with a fancy-pants set and darkly lit mood lighting.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 05:47:30 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Jun 25 2003, 12:19 PM\'] The front game will be a best 2-of-3 format. Each game ends when someone gets Tic Tac Dough, or the first contestant to get 5 spaces in case no TTD can be achieved. The winner must get his/her question right to win.

The front game's winner takes on the returning champion in a one game showdown (shades of Face the Music!). Once again, the winning contestant is the one who gets Tic Tac Dough or gets 5 spaces in case no TTD can be acheived.
 [/quote]
 Do you really think you're going to be able to fit FOUR FULL GAMES of TTD into a half-hour?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 06:34:01 PM »
I would keep TTD the same way as with the 1970s/80s version, straddling and all. The only change I would make is this:

If a champion wins five front games in a row, he or she wins a car. If a champion wins a 10th game, he or she will win an additional $50,000 and retires undefeated.

I agree that the \"Face the Dragon\" endgame should be kept, as long as the graphics are better. :)

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 06:47:26 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jun 25 2003, 03:21 PM\']TTD is a great game. It's a hard quiz with strategy. [/quote]
\"Tic Tac Dough\" may count as a hard quiz with strategy when you're age eight or ten, but it's not exactly GE College Bowl. I always found the questions rather easy, and the strategy is tic-tac-toe, for Pete's sake. Chickens play it on state fair midways. Not that I didn't enjoy it, mind you.

I thought it was at its best, well, when Thom McKee was playing, or when you had a good string of tie games going. To have that, the games have to straddle episodes, syndicator be damned. The front game is what it is. The only thing I'd suggest is the occasional witty category--not Ben Stein so much as \"You Don't Know Jack\" (computerized, not ABC's).

The bonus game needs work, as TJW's and Bulleye's would, too. Picking a number one to nine requires even less strategy than tic-tac-toe. \"Split Second\" was all luck, but at least that was dramatic. There ought to at least be risk involved. Maybe there should be a couple of endgames, alternating between the two for a little variety.

whampyl03

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 06:59:19 PM »
Here is how I'd revive it...

Same Front Game rules, just inflated amounts...

$750 for the outside boxes, $1,500 for the center box

Same Bonus Game rules (circa 1980 syndie) just Inflated amounts... ($2,000 beats the dragon, and wins you a $12,000 to $17,000 prize package)

Every 5th time you play Beat The Dragon, you play for a prize package with a $40,000 to $60,000 car added

As for set... USE MY DESIGN! (link below)
http://www.geocities.com/antpollreisz/ttda...l?1056253626990

As for music... Use the classic theme. It's one of the best GS themes ever.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2003, 07:02:18 PM by whampyl03 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2003, 09:28:19 PM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Jun 25 2003, 03:59 PM\'] Same Front Game rules, just inflated amounts...
 [/quote]
 Why?

Same Bonus Game rules (circa 1980 syndie) just Inflated amounts...

Why?

Every 5th time you play Beat The Dragon, you play for a prize package with a $40,000 to $60,000 car added

13 weeks and out. IF you can find a packager who will touch your budget with a fifty-foot pole.

...and would be so dated in 2003 that it would be utterly laughable.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

brianhenke

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2003, 12:27:51 AM »
  I said, should there be a 1-1 tie in the game to find the challenger to face the champ, a speed-up round will  be played.

Plus...all squares but the center will be worth $300.

Brian

The Jehovah's Witnesses distribute Mad magazine?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

whampyl03

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2003, 12:28:43 AM »

Why?

You don't want to screw around with the gameplay, and if you want the old $300/$200 on the outers and $200/$100 for the inner, that's your call.

Same Bonus Game rules (circa 1980 syndie) just Inflated amounts... 

Why?

Same thing, Even though there is not very much gameplay to BTD, you still don't want to screw around with it much.  Weather you want $1000 to beat the dragon is your call.

13 weeks and out. IF you can find a packager who will touch your budget with a fifty-foot pole.

Ehhh... I guess you have me there....

...and would be so dated in 2003 that it would be utterly laughable.

I'll just give in and say your right on that one.  But I think it could still work (but that's just me).

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2003, 12:48:50 AM »
Here is how I'd revive it...
Here we go!

$750 for the outside boxes, $1,500 for the center box
Not really too much need.  Using TTD90's values would be fine enough (except for the resetting of the board values... that's dumb).
Same Bonus Game rules (circa 1980 syndie) just Inflated amounts... ($2,000 beats the dragon, and wins you a $12,000 to $17,000 prize package)
Eh, whatever.
Nah.
As for set... USE MY DESIGN! (link below)
http://www.geocities.com/antpollreisz/ttda...l?1056253626990
Now, I'm going to be honest... the only thing that bugged me about all TTD's were the hideous sets.  This is updated, but still cheesy.  Unless it's a comedy show, I don't know how well cheesy looks today.
If Pyramid refused to use a wonderful, less slightly dated theme that was twenty years old, what makes you think the new TTD would use one that's even older?

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: June 26, 2003, 01:23:35 AM by Brandon Brooks »

whampyl03

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2003, 01:09:48 AM »

If Pyramid refused to use a wonderful, less slightly dated theme that was twenty years old, what makes you think the new TTD would use one that's even older?

Well, Feud reverted back to the 88 theme (yes, I know there is a 10 year diffrence between them both) so maybe there would be a slight glimmer of hope.

Gee, was my revival THAT bad? (well, at least you people are being honest)

Dan Sadro

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2003, 01:32:22 AM »
A few suggestions:

(1)  I'm not surprised that many of you are supporting a dollar-value-per-box system.  Save for a drunken syndicator, the only place you'd be likely to see the show is on cable.  I don't think GSN's originals budget even $10,000 per episode in prize money (on some series, I think it's much less), and many of your ideas would spend more than that on just the average maingame.  This might just be the time to end that antiquated practice.  Maybe there'll be something for winning the game, cash or prize.

(2)  Sir Foster-Gray has some very intriguing ideas.  Many are pretty good.

(3)  Regarding Neumms, it might be possible that Thom McKee's episodes were exciting for two reasons -- the tie games and the large amounts of money involved -- two of the reasons that the original Twenty-One intrigued the national audience.  I think, just like Twenty-One, that TTD can be the most boring game show on television if it's not played dramatically.

(4)  The thought of using any B-E endgame in 2003 is hilarious.  Ha ha ha [cough] [hack] [cough].  Keeping the spirit of the original is important, yes, but sometimes it's just a good idea to take a flamethrower to certain aspects of the original.  Even stealing the endgame from the Jack Clark Caught in the Act unsold pilot in the trading rounds would be more true to tic-tac-dough than picking numbers hoping not to find a frighteningly bad computer dragon behind it :^)

(5)  Just a nitpick, but whatever happened to nice, round numbers?  I've seen $7000, $12,000, and $17,000 mentioned in this thread, and my mind is spinning.

Oh well, I'm done; fire away.

Dan Sadro

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2003, 01:37:50 AM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 12:09 AM\']

Well, Feud reverted back to the 88 theme (yes, I know there is a 10 year diffrence between them both) so maybe there would be a slight glimmer of hope. [/quote]
 The original Family Feud themes, IMHO, contaned an intrinsic quality that suited the 2002-2003 season's set.  They added the light wood colors to the set and as an overall effect, the set was warmed up.  Fremantle felt they should use a theme that contained the qualities of the revised set, a theme with an \"at home\" feeling.

And really, what can be more \"at home\" than quasi-bluegrass music? :^)

The same cannot be said about TTD78 theme.  I'm surprised they didn't dump the theme to a more-electronic and less-Hidey offering when Martindale left.