Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show themes on radio programs?  (Read 11082 times)

Ian Wallis

Game Show themes on radio programs?
« on: April 20, 2014, 04:21:42 PM »
When GSN released the two game show theme CDs a decade ago, in my area several of them popped up regularly as background music on morning radio shows.  The ones I heard more frequently are $25,000 Pyramid, Family Feud and Price is Right.  These days I hear $10,000 Pyramid (although edited by the station) and Password more often than the others.  Oddly enough, I hear Match Game and Newlywed Game on the local sports radio station (of all places) during various promotions.

Are any of these themes still used on stations in your areas?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Bryce L.

Re: Game Show themes on radio programs?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 05:53:08 PM »
Back when I lived in Maine, one homebuilder (called "Showcase Homes") used the theme from The Price is Right in its radio ads (and even closed their ads with "These showcase homes can be YOURS if The Price is Right!" or something similar)

Winkfan

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 06:27:02 PM »
Many years ago (or "Many Tears Ago," as Connie Francis sang back in 1960), former Starcade host Mark Richards had his "Radio Game Show Party" in San Diego (KOGO), then in Los Angeles (KFI), and finally in Las Vegas (KVEN). He played the themes to Wheel Of Fortune, Jeopardy, and even Press Your Luck when he featured games based on those shows. I got to participate on his show a couple of times in the late 1980s.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 06:36:58 PM »
Not a theme, but on Sirius XM, one of my favorite programs, The All Out Show has a segment where they will play the original Jeopardy! think music.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

nowhammies10

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 06:49:09 PM »
Here in Toronto, we have a program called Sunday Morning Trivia on CFRB-AM.  They play different quiz games in each of the two hours that the show runs, one is The Chain Game (each question goes off a word or phrase that either was in or sounds like something that was in the previous question), which uses the 1980 Chain Reaction theme; the other is Child's Play (you must get 4/6 right on a card from the 1984 Young Player's edition of Trivial Pursuit), using the appropriate theme as well.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 07:14:22 PM »
On certain Howard Stern Show game segments, Fred will play some random game show's theme as the segment's theme. I know one of the shows from last week had the Tic-Tac-Dough theme. A segment similar to an actual show (such as "The Newlyweird Game") will get the original show's theme as well.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 07:31:24 PM »
The local FM sports radio station's morning show has a game played twice a week called Ahead or Behind?  The TPiR theme is used as intro music and at the end of the game.  The same morning show does a weekly co-host vs. producer pop culture challenge named The Idiot Pop Quiz, which uses the Password Plus theme as both intro music and background music.

/Won the much sought-after Kiley and Booms toenail clippers on Ahead or Behind? a year and a half ago

Fedya

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 09:35:17 PM »
The local "greatest hits of all time" (really only the British Invasion through the 80s, and lots of stuff that was a big hit during that time frame not being included) hs a bunch of promos that are one of their extended slogans voiced over one or another TV theme.  Several of them are game shows, including TPIR, Pyramid, and Match Game but not Jeopardy; other non-game shows I can remember offhand are one of the Cosby Show themes and I think the Rockford Files.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

SuperSweeper

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 12:46:08 PM »
One of our local radio stations (94.1?) has used several game show themes for its call-in games.  I've heard the original Jackpot! theme a couple of times, and if my memory is correct, the Las Vegas Gambit theme has been used, as well.

Elvis Duran has used the Tic Tac Dough theme a few times for his call-in games.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 01:18:55 PM »
I remember hearing the 1971 Password theme in the background on a station around here once. This particular station was hooked up to a preprogrammed country music feed from Dial Global, and I just randomly heard that song in the background during a bumper. It really struck out since a.) I don't know if that particular theme is on any CDs or not, and b.) I had never heard them use game show music before or since. (They switched to classic rock last May.)
Bobby Peacock

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 02:00:54 PM »
I remember hearing the 1971 Password theme in the background on a station around here once. This particular station was hooked up to a preprogrammed country music feed from Dial Global, and I just randomly heard that song in the background during a bumper. It really struck out since a.) I don't know if that particular theme is on any CDs or not

A version thereof [not the one used on air---said variant is also at TVPMM] is on the first GSN theme CD.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 04:10:51 PM »
When I was the news director at WSIN 1590 AM, I used the 70s Break The Bank theme for my weekly news show's intro/outro.

Here's what that sounded like.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

geno57

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 10:01:30 AM »
When I was doing production in Nashville, a little over ten years ago, I used the '71 Password theme for a promo.  Perfectly legal.  But another production guy grabbed it from my files, unbeknownst to me, and used it for an actual commercial.  Oops!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 04:01:32 PM »
I mentioned the Idiot Pop Quiz on 92.3 The Fan here in Cleveland.  Today's Idiot Pop Quiz was about our favorite TV genre.  All but question 7 should fall under the category of pre-requisite knowledge before entering here.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/04/25/kiley-booms-on-demand-rundown-for-425-2/  It's the 2nd item on the page, at 7:44.

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »
I mentioned the Idiot Pop Quiz on 92.3 The Fan here in Cleveland.  Today's Idiot Pop Quiz was about our favorite TV genre.

I correctly guessed the Newlywed Game answer at the time the first guy buzzed in.  :)