Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First autograph from GS folk  (Read 12448 times)

Winkfan

First autograph from GS folk
« on: April 14, 2014, 07:00:39 PM »
Here's something for you to ponder: Who was the first game show personality (host, model, celeb player, etc.) you ever got an autograph from; either in person or through fan mail?

For me, it was Jim Perry back when he was hosting Card Sharks. In 1980, I wrote to him and got an autographed photo of him; which I still have. My first "in person" one was Jim Lange during my now-famous (among us fans, that is) appearance on Name That Tune four years later. I still have that one, as well.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

pacdude

Re: First autograph from GS folk
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »
Christian Carrion signed a Christmas card for me once.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:02:15 PM »
I have a Christmas card from Matt O. after we traded Jeopardy value tabs for the old MB box games. He signed off with "Enjoy" just like he does on his program.
Travis L. Eberle

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 07:13:09 PM »
I wrote Barry-Enright with my concerns about the content of the movie "Private Lessons" as well as a few comments about their games, and I got a letter with Jack Barry's signature.  It appears to be gone now, but you can still see the signed letter I got from E. Roger Muir on my Spin-Off site.  Also, in 1991, I saw Vanna White in person at an Omaha mall opening and she signed a photo.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 07:18:05 PM »
Bob Eubanks, after a Wheel of Fortune live show at the Indiana State Fair, late-'90s.
@lambertman

whewfan

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 08:04:06 PM »
Bob Barker, in person, at a Borders Bookstore in NY in 2008. He wasn't as talkative as he was on Price... he was nice enough, but said barely anything to anyone.

I also have a couple autographed pics of Bob from TPIR visits, one from Geoff Edwards, and one from Betty White, when she used to have her own website.

In terms of E-bay autographs, I have Johnny Olson, Bob Eubanks, Chuck Woolery, Allen Ludden, and Bill Cullen.

RobertSearcy

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 08:21:11 PM »
Mine was Marc Summers autographing a card at a GSN Get Schooled Tour event in Kennesaw, GA back in '03.  The whole experience was awesome.  Marc was impressed with my knowledge of game shows (stumped him regarding Press Your Luck's predecessor, Second Chance, and won a t-shirt -- he acted like he didn't believe me and that I was making it up but gave me a Whammy t-shirt anyway).  Wound up with a nice haul of small prizes that day....triple-digits worth after researching IIRC.

Don't know what I've done with that card, though (or the pictures taken that day).

/Now that I think about it.....this was when I was a junior in high school.....and my craziness over the event (and game shows in general) may have been along the lines of "fanboy-ish"....
"If everyone played Stud 8, it wouldn't matter who's in the White House because this would be one happy country!" -- Norman Chad during the 2007 World Series of Poker $50K HORSE event

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 08:30:49 PM »
Neat question, Tammy.

Mine was Bob Clayton, in person when I followed him out onto the street after a Pyramid taping.  I was 14.  That was also  my only one for more than twenty years, until I started making regular trips to California.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Marc412

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 08:48:12 PM »
My first was Wink Martindale, for winning one of his contests a few weeks ago.  He sent me an 8-by-10 photo, a copy of Winking at Life and a board game.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 08:52:45 PM »
I got autographs from Peter Sagal and Bill Kurtis at a taping of Wait Wait last year.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

chad1m

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 09:00:41 PM »
Betty White, in 2003 or 2004, as an early teen who sent her a letter and an autograph request. Still have it and cherish it.

colonial

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 09:30:47 PM »
Back when I was running pop culture-based quiz bowl tournaments, I came up with a "random" award where someone would win an autographed celebrity photo for any random reason I could come up with.  I figured that since quiz bowl tournaments always honored the best teams and players, why not give an award to someone who's in the middle or back of the pack just as a "thank you" for playing?

I would write to 4-5 celebs a year, hoping that one would honor my unusual request and provide an autographed photo as a prize.  In 2003 or 2004, Richard Dawson sent me an autographed pic, and it was the "random" award that year.

A few years later, I tried the same with Bob Eubanks.  He sent me a photo, but no signature.  I opted to sign it myself (along with a few other cohorts) and present it to the player with the most incorrect answers.

Dawson was the first GS autograph I obtained.   In recent months, my wife surprised me with autographed pics of Peter Marshall, Tom Kennedy, Monty Hall and Wink Martindale. 

JD

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 09:48:35 PM »
This has a multi-part answer so please allow me to do a bit of a monologue...

I think the strictly speaking answer to this question would be Alan Alda, who personally autographed his second book, "Things I Overheard While Talking To Myself" to me at a signing in Toronto.   However... now in my collection is a copy of the book "On Set" which is a book of photos taken by Arlene Alda, on the set of Alan Alda's film "The Four Seasons."  My father and I saw it in the bargain books pile (!) at a WaldenBooks.  Only after I picked it up did I see that it was autographed by BOTH Alan and Arlene Alda!   But that wasn't in person or via fan mail so it doesn't really count.

And then there's the autographed copy of "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" by Chuck Barris.  I called down to the bookstore in Jersey for that so I would also disqualify that one based on the OP's question.  His is the only Game Show host I have.

I don't think any of the autographs I got at the "Chiller Theatre" event in New Jersey last year count, unless you're willing to give me Weird Al Yankovic for Rock N Roll Jeopardy and maybe Kent McCord for his appearances on Hollywood Squares.   (OT but probably of interest to this group: this month's "Chiller Theatre" event will feature a WKRP Reunion, with Loni Anderson, Howard Hesseman, Tim Reid AND Jan Smithers.)

Here's the strangest one:  I wandered into a bookstore one day in 1996 in Tallahassee, Florida, and came upon a local author named Don Parker.  Parker was a local law enforcement official who told of his many misadventures in two books, "You're Under Arrest-I'm Not Kidding" and "Officer Needs Assistance... Again."   Parker seemed to be a great storyteller so I purchased both of his books, which he signed.  Those of you here who have forgotten more about game shows than I'll ever know probably already know the GS connection, but I didn't.    Not until several years later, when I was flying cross- country and passing the time watching Game Show Network.  (Yes, that long ago, pre "GSN".)   And who should appear on a rerun of To Tell The Truth... but the very same Don Parker, along with two imposters.

Should I count Jean Shepherd given his appearance on I've Got A Secret?  (He played his head.)  If he counts, that's my first one.  I had just gotten my driver's license, he was appearing at the Clinton Book Store in Jersey, and I was NOT going to miss my chance to meet him.  He remains my all-time favorite author. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:56:41 PM by irwinsjournal.com »
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

DoItRockapella

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 10:07:26 PM »
My answer befits my username - Kevin Shinick's autograph from the Where In Time Is Carmen Sandiego live tour around 1997. I must have been eight years old...anybody else remember this?

My only other game show autograph is Peter Sagal from a Wait Wait Don't Tell Me taping at the Wang Theater in Boston.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 10:35:49 PM »
Before he hosted Price, I got Drew Carey to sign a TV Guide at Cleveland's 1996 Thanksgiving parade.  He was the Grand Marshal.

Anybody who has attended a GSC with me has likely seen my big binder o' photos and slides.  I must have close to two dozen 8x10s signed at the GSCs, ranging from hosts to celebrities impersonating game show celebrities; at WML? Live, Debra Wilson from Mad TV signed a Mad TV press pic of her as Whoopi Goldberg in a Squares spoof.