Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nearly unwinnable situations...  (Read 9728 times)

aaron sica

Nearly unwinnable situations...
« on: March 30, 2014, 12:38:43 PM »
The post about "painting yourself in a corner" in Grocery Game (i.e. making it pretty much unwinnable by managing the items badly) got me thinking..What other situations in a game show would allow you to leave the game virtually unwinnable?

I thought of "High Rollers", specifically the Big Numbers. Leaving only a "2" on the board would only leave one possible roll to win, but even more, just leaving a "1", you've screwed the pooch..

MikeK

• Martha!
Re: Nearly unwinnable situations...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 12:55:20 PM »
Golden Balls:  Showing at least 2 killers in the front row was the kiss of death, since the player would likely have to lie about the back row values and nobody would allow such a large quantity of killer balls to advance in the game.  It's all about luck and chance, just like High Rollers.

Marc412

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 12:56:48 PM »
Hitting a Whammy on your last spin.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »
There are the obvious ones like losing a True Daily Double late in the game and such.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »
Piggybacking off of Kevin's point, going into Final Jeopardy! in second place, but the leader has more than twice your score. Unless you're going up against a true gambler, you're pretty much playing to keep your $2,000.

I'd also say that a Fast Money round where the team has less than 150 points going into the last survey question or two.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 05:42:40 PM »
Losing the Prize Puzzle on Wheel of Fortune.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

WhammyPower

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 06:18:26 PM »
Golden Balls:  Showing at least 2 killers in the front row was the kiss of death
I'd like to see someone show three killers in the front row. :P

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 06:22:30 PM »
Golden Balls:  Showing at least 2 killers in the front row was the kiss of death
I'd like to see someone show three killers in the front row. :P
Whoops.  I thought three balls were shown in the front row of round 2.  They only show two balls in the second round.  It's been some time since I've seen Golden Balls.

/It's on my short list of the next overseas home game purchase.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 06:57:45 PM »
Losing the Prize Puzzle on Wheel of Fortune.

I lol'd.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 08:53:53 PM »
Someone calling a vowel and then solving the Speed-Up puzzle when they're behind by just about the amount of the final spin.

Someone ending their guesses in 10 Chances in a number other than 0 or 5 since that hasn't been a solution in any playing of the game in at least 15 years, if not more.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 09:06:37 PM »
Someone ending their guesses in 10 Chances in a number other than 0 or 5 since that hasn't been a solution in any playing of the game in at least 15 years, if not more.

Aaaaand we're rapidly approaching "twitch, twitch" territory.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 09:18:04 PM »
Which is just as well; this was a topic that needed to be taken out behind the shed early on.

Is it revolutionary to say "Whammy on last spin" or "miss a clue 60 Daily Double?" No, because those are obvious.

There was an episode of daily Weakest Link where one of the team was doing all of the heavy lifting while the alliance of dumbs plinked off everyone else leaving him to increase the pot. When it was two dumbs to Smart Guy, he saw that the handwriting was on the wall and stalled several seconds and then gave a wrong answer every time in order to add no more money to the pot before he was voted out.
Travis L. Eberle

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 09:40:16 PM »

Okay, you call it what you want. I'm not twitching over a contestant who doesn't know a hidden rule in one game that isn't played anywhere near as often as it used to be. But if the question was asked, that is a valid answer. Sorry if it sounds too fanboi-ish for this thread.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »
But if the question was asked, that is a valid answer. Sorry if it sounds too fanboi-ish for this thread.

The reason I mock you is because a) It is *exactly* Price-fanboi-ish, and b) it's not a valid answer. There's a difference between "working yourself into a bad situation" like the original Grocery Game example and leaving the 1 laying in the Big Numbers (especially when the latter can happen through no fault of your own) and "being an out-and-out dumbass" or "not knowing an OMG-secret rule." And it was only a matter of time before someone conflated the two and rendered the thread moot. Well done.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 10:54:52 PM »
I'll admit that looking back at the OP again, my answer is not valid and you're right, since you can't paint yourself into a corner if you don't even have the brush in your hands.

Sorry my single half a post could render this thread moot.