Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Pays Tribute to Jim Lange Wednesday Morning  (Read 15910 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: GSN Pays Tribute to Jim Lange Wednesday Morning
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 11:50:14 PM »
Also, how hard would it be to get his run of Name That Tune? Whether it be for a regular spot on the lineup or even a single episode?
If Sandy Frank is still alive, not very. He is well known for squeezing every penny out of his properties by selling to anyone who would take them. (That's my understanding, anyway.)

He is, and he's 85 according to what I read. Or approaching it.

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't try to get at least one episode of something other than The Dating Game...but it really isn't going to bother me because I'm willing to bet, at least from some of the messages on my Facebook page, that most people don't know Jim Lange for doing anything else.

Shame that is.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Johnissoevil

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 12:46:24 AM »
If Sandy Frank is still alive, not very. He is well known for squeezing every penny out of his properties by selling to anyone who would take them. (That's my understanding, anyway.)

Not only that, GSN would also have to pay royalties out the backside for musical clearances if they wanted to air even one episode.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 09:29:34 AM »
Not sure how GSN-Sony licensing deals are structured these days, but I'd have to imagine throwing Dating Game or Bullseye onto the lineup for a day would be significantly cheaper for GSN than either NTT or Lifetime. And of the four, Jim's generally best known among the public for Dating Game anyway.

Cheaper + Most likely to draw viewership = Best for business.

BillCullen1

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 01:47:22 PM »
The GSN promo for the Jim Lange tribute showed a young Michael Jackson. Two eps of TDG I remember were when Paul Lynde and Rip Taylor (on different shows) were asking the questions. I remember the audience yelling out "Number 3" at Rip. He listened to them, and Number 3 was ugly as all Hell. The look on Rip's face when he saw her was priceless! 

Nice that GSN is doing this.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 02:01:28 PM »
Two eps of TDG I remember were when Paul Lynde and Rip Taylor (on different shows) were asking the questions.

On behalf of a young bachelorette, presumably.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 02:03:17 PM »
Paul Reubens appeared as Pee-Wee Herman on TDG in the late 70's at least twice. Here are clips from both of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfWEC3CR6SA&t=13m42s

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:15:20 PM by Vahan_Nisanian »

JonSea31

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 09:42:04 AM »
I definitely intend to record two episodes from this Wednesday's marathon.  Definitely the one with Michael Jackson, and the one with Casey Kasem - the latter for the reason that Casey is terminally ill and has only months to live as of November.  It would be good to record something with Casey Kasem's appearance since he won't be around much longer.
I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.

Jay Temple

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 09:48:15 AM »
Now that I know that, I definitely will too! I used to save the charts from AT40.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 12:18:23 PM »
What is the best way to distinguish Daytime Dating Game (1965-1973) from Nighttime Dating Game (1966-1970)?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 12:32:12 PM »
Someone who watched the Dating Game closer than I would know of any appreciable differences, but honestly, all I can remember was Jim saying "good evening" vs. "good afternoon," and reminding us at the end to watch the daytime version. It's been said the trips were better on the nighttime show, but at the Dating Game level, that's a hard scale to judge. :)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »
The GSN promo for the Jim Lange tribute showed a young Michael Jackson.

Said ep has a major music clearance--Jackson lip-syncs the first minute or so of "Rockin' Robin" right at the beginning.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

JMFabiano

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 09:30:28 AM »
Also, how hard would it be to get his run of Name That Tune? Whether it be for a regular spot on the lineup or even a single episode?

The wise words of Mssrs. Robinson, Servo, and Robot come to mind:

Sandy Fraaaaaaank!   Sandy Fraaaaaaaaaaank!  He's the source of all our pain!
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TimK2003

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 12:26:26 PM »

Sandy Fraaaaaaank!   Sandy Fraaaaaaaaaaank!  He's the source of all our pain!

rwalker

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2014, 04:33:25 PM »
Any word on a Geoff Edwards tribute? GSN press site has nothing, if so

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2014, 07:30:20 PM »
I hope so. There's several good candidates from what they've aired: Treasure Hunt, Play the Percentages, and Jackpot! (Not sure if they aired Geoff's Chain Reaction; I know they aired a few Emmons episodes, including the premiere.)

For those curious, here's what the Jim Lange marathon consisted of, per the advance schedule:
-8:00 AM -- 1967 episode (#67-004) with Tom Selleck, Sammy Jackson, and Casey Kasem
-8:30 AM -- 1967 episode (#67-008) with Burt Reynolds
-9:00 AM -- October 6, 1966 nighttime debut (listed as #69-001) with Sally Field and Robert Vaughn
-9:30 AM -- 1969 episode (#69-013) with Marc Copage and Farrah Fawcett
-10:00 AM -- 1972 episode (#72-110) with Michael Jackson
-10:30 AM -- 1974 episode (#74-034) with Amanda Jones and Arnold Schwarzenegger
-11:00 AM -- 1968 episode (#68-150) with Steve Martin
-11:30 AM -- 1969 episode (#69-091) with Don Johnson, Bob Hope, and Robert Goulet
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:33:08 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...