Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Pays Tribute to Jim Lange Wednesday Morning  (Read 15904 times)

ivoryman1986

Re: GSN Pays Tribute to Jim Lange Wednesday Morning
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
TDG, Hollywood Connection, Bullseye and the Valentine's Week 1984 episodes of the TNG were the only Lange-hosted series that GSN ever aired in its entire network history. I asked catnap1972 what about which Jim Lange hosted series is his most favorite. IIRC, it's been the same 7-10 episodes of the late 70s run that GSN ever reran which explains why that version was never seen regularly either. Let me run them down just in case:

1978: Jimmie 'JJ' Walker
1978: Jaye P. Morgan
1979: Phil Hartman
1978: Andy Kaufman
1979: Bob Saget
1979: Willie Aames
1979: Pee Wee Herman

There's a difference between the 2 production years: 1978 had a backwall of mostly red and orange, and 1979 had a backwall of blue and purple. I knew that because catnap1972(back when he had a YT account) uploaded what was rerunable of this version. I hope catnap1972 doesn't leave this forum altogether since he's still active here.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:22:04 PM by ivoryman1986 »

chad1m

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 07:54:37 PM »
Lord.

Winkfan

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 08:38:24 PM »
I'll have my DVR all prepped up on Wednesday! At least, for the ABC episodes.....

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:56:45 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 08:47:37 PM »
Too bad they can't show the Laboriously Titled Word Game Starring Jim Lange, as Dating Game is a poor vehicle to show off what Jim can do. (Bullseye isn't that much better and Name That Tune was awful). Lifetime moved at a good clip, was a fun word game and I thought Jim handled it well.
Definitely agree about Lifetime, which would've been a pleasant surprise. Of the Lange-hosted shows GSN's aired, though, I'd have preferred Bullseye as the tribute since, as you said, The Dating Game isn't really the best example of Jim's abilities. Given how poor Hollywood Connection was and how poorly Lange handled The Newlywed Game, I think showing either of those would've felt like an insult.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think GSN's currently airing anything from the Barry-Enright or Barris stables.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »
Although TDG was Lange's signature show (9 years from 1965-1974, and 2 more years from 1978-1980), I do wish they would have also made a surprise move by licensing one episode of $1MCOAL.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:03:45 PM by Vahan_Nisanian »

Bryce L.

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 09:12:15 PM »
Also, how hard would it be to get his run of Name That Tune? Whether it be for a regular spot on the lineup or even a single episode?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 09:16:38 PM »
Also, how hard would it be to get his run of Name That Tune? Whether it be for a regular spot on the lineup or even a single episode?
If Sandy Frank is still alive, not very. He is well known for squeezing every penny out of his properties by selling to anyone who would take them. (That's my understanding, anyway.)
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 09:34:06 PM »
TDG, Hollywood Connection, Bullseye and the Valentine's Week 1984 episodes of the TNG were the only Lange-hosted series that GSN ever aired in its entire network history. I asked catnap1972 what about which Jim Lange hosted series is his most favorite. IIRC, it's been the same 7-10 episodes of the late 70s run that GSN ever reran which explains why that version was never seen regularly either. Let me run them down just in case:

1978: Jimmie 'JJ' Walker
1978: Jaye P. Morgan
1978: Phil Hartman
1978: Andy Kaufman
1979: Bob Saget
1979: Willie Aames
1979: Pee Wee Herman

There's a difference between the 2 production years: 1978 had a backwall of mostly red and orange, and 1979 had a backwall of blue and purple. I knew that because catnap1972(back when he had a YT account) uploaded what was rerunable of this version. I hope catnap1972 doesn't leave this forum altogether since he's still active here.

Did you ever stop and think that this was probably part of the reason you don't see catnap1972 around?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 09:37:34 PM »
Unfortunately, if there was anything I've learned, you don't mess with Mike Smith (a.k.a. NewsTelevisionSeries). He is one tough customer. He was the one who forced Catnap1972 to close his YouTube accounts.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 09:38:25 PM »
Unfortunately, if there was anything I've learned, you don't mess with NewsTelevisionSeries. He is one tough customer. He was the one who forced Catnap1972 to close his YouTube accounts.
Horseapples. I call horse apples on all of this. He's an a-hole on the internet. They're a dime a dozen.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 09:44:03 PM »
Unfortunately, if there was anything I've learned, you don't mess with NewsTelevisionSeries. He is one tough customer. He was the one who forced Catnap1972 to close his YouTube accounts.
Horseapples. I call horse apples on all of this. He's an a-hole on the internet. They're a dime a dozen.

I never even heard of the guy.

Okay, so now Vahan will do one of three things: put on his contrition act, cite his source, or make himself look worse.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:33:49 PM by RobertSearcy »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/user/NewsTelevisionSeries/videos

This is his channel. Look at it. All the videos used to be uploaded Catnap1972. He stole them from him. That's all the proof you need, Chris. Please apologize for making fun of my name.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:51:05 PM by Vahan_Nisanian »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 09:47:12 PM »
So what?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 10:07:38 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/user/NewsTelevisionSeries/videos

This is his channel. Look at it. All the videos used to be uploaded Catnap1972. He stole them from him. That's all the proof you need, Chris. Please apologize for making fun of my name.

Actually, it proves nothing. Because it doesn't mean that the guy did anything other than steal his videos, which is a rather common occurrence on da Toob. Unless I hear it from catnap myself, your statement is speculation.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 10:43:44 PM »
The show used quite a bit of pre-existing copyrighted music. Especially from Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.

That's why I was under the impression they may not have shown it regularly.

Probably over two-thirds of the ABC years aired, as it was on the schedule for quite a while.  Music rights didn't seen to be an issue for ABC episodes.  The music issues presumably were with the '78-80 version, which is why we only got a few episodes of this here and there.  That was my favorite version so I would have liked to have seen more of it!

For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!