Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Elders Strike Back  (Read 12605 times)

BrandonFG

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2004, 10:55:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 05:18 PM\'] At least Smallville, and I assume other shows, runs a plug at the end identifying the artists whose music was used in the episode, either stating or implying that they've paid for this placement.  The plugs have the opposite effect, however.  Instead of making me like the music more, it makes me like the show's producers less. [/quote]
 FOX has done that for sometime as well. I remember seeing it in the mid-90s for Melrose Place and 90210. Not that I watched either show. :-P And I'm with you about it being a turnoff, although it might be for different reasons.

ObGameShow: OK, so I *did* watch the Jeopardy episode of 90210.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Thad Dixon

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2004, 11:15:17 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 10:55 PM\']
ObGameShow: OK, so I *did* watch the Jeopardy episode of 90210.[/quote]
Ditto.  I think the only time I ever watched 90210 during its original run was when that very episode first aired.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2004, 12:38:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Thad Dixon\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 09:15 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 10:55 PM\']
ObGameShow: OK, so I *did* watch the Jeopardy episode of 90210.[/quote]
Ditto.  I think the only time I ever watched 90210 during its original run was when that very episode first aired. [/quote]
 Yeah, and nobody voted for Dick Nixon, either. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2004, 04:51:33 PM »
sitcom and dramas now have characters using specific products from electronics gear to soft drinks. It could get messy down the road... Sipowitz on NYPD Blue drinking Hansen's Natural Soda? Or soy milk?? Please kill me first ;-)
This from a man who describes Libman mops on TV for a living :-)

Don't forget the incident that inspired the classic quote, "Hey Todman, you dropped your script!".

tvrandywest

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2004, 05:21:03 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 5 2004, 01:51 PM\']
sitcom and dramas now have characters using specific products from electronics gear to soft drinks. It could get messy down the road... Sipowitz on NYPD Blue drinking Hansen's Natural Soda? Or soy milk?? Please kill me first ;-)
This from a man who describes Libman mops on TV for a living :-) [/quote]
Proudly, I may add!

Don't forget the incident that inspired the classic quote, "Hey Todman, you dropped your script!".
Please remind me.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 05:21:59 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

uncamark

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2004, 05:24:42 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 5 2004, 05:21 PM\']
Please remind me.[/quote]
"Radio wit" Goodman Ace (indirect creator of "The Trouble with Tracy," for the Canadians in the group) is standing in the hall at CBS.  Todman's walking down the hall, his arms filled with prizes for radio "Winner Take All."  A toaster falls off the top of the pile and shatters on the floor.  Ace looks over at Todman and says, "Hey, Todman, drop your script?"

tvrandywest

The Elders Strike Back
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2004, 06:57:10 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 5 2004, 02:24 PM\'] "Radio wit" Goodman Ace (indirect creator of "The Trouble with Tracy," for the Canadians in the group) is standing in the hall at CBS.  Todman's walking down the hall, his arms filled with prizes for radio "Winner Take All."  A toaster falls off the top of the pile and shatters on the floor.  Ace looks over at Todman and says, "Hey, Todman, drop your script?" [/quote]
 Love it... Thanks!

And as the topic involves "elders", I'll return the favor with a quip from Gene Rayburn which has its roots going back over 70 years:

Soon after the RCA Building at 30 Rock was opened Gene and Dave Garroway were among the NBC pages. They shared a biting, sarcastic sense of humor, and as minimum wage employees were particularly resentful of General Sarnoff's son, not far from their own age, being named to lofty titles with lofty salaries and sporting a lofty attitude. Gene and Dave felt they had far more potential talent as broadcasters than that punk Robert Sarnoff.

They bastardized the title of the still very popular Hemingway novel in referring to young Sarnoff as the subject of the book "The SON also Rises". One day Robert heard them make the quip, spun around, and they all stared at each other for an uncomfortable long moment. Gene said he was sure he would be fired within hours!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com