Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Money "Count-Offs"  (Read 8629 times)

inturnaround

Money "Count-Offs"
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2004, 05:06:55 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 04:40 PM\'] Of course, there is the fact that no hoity-toity LA restaurant would let "LMAD" contestants in wearing the costumes they had on. [/quote]
 Yeah, but they could have one heckuva feast at Pink's on La Brea!

(Man, no matter how hard I try, I can never forget "Personals" from CBS. At least Charlie Rose was on soon after to make me feel smarter.)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

zachhoran

Money "Count-Offs"
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2004, 07:18:47 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 04:40 PM\'] [That's because they never gave out anything over $600 in those quickie deals, meaning that they didn't have to report the winnings to the IRS--and the contestants probably fudged on the money come income tax time, too.

[/quote]
 There were occasions where Monty would offer as much as $1000 for a rare item(i.e. a special delivery stamp which he offered a grand for on a few of the 70s nighttime shows GSN has aired), or would offer something like $10 for each penny a person has up to $1000. I can't recall anyone winning more than $500 in a quickie deal offhand.

gameshowguy2000

Money "Count-Offs"
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2004, 07:55:34 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 03:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 07:09 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 08:20 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 08:02 AM\']Occasionally Bob will count out $500 for perfect IUFB or for the Shell Game bonus or Barker's Markers on TPIR.[/quote]
And one thing I found out recently is that they have to give the money back at the end of the show and they later receive a check. [/quote]
So, they don't get to keep the cash Bob pulls out of his pocket?[/quote]
That's right.

I think the only *possible* instances I know of game show contestants keeping cash "awarded" onstage were the quickie deals over the credits on "LMAD"--and Monty's "go on out and have a great dinner on us" $50 or $100 to losing couples on pricing deals for cars.  That's because they never gave out anything over $600 in those quickie deals, meaning that they didn't have to report the winnings to the IRS--and the contestants probably fudged on the money come income tax time, too.

Of course, there is the fact that no hoity-toity LA restaurant would let "LMAD" contestants in wearing the costumes they had on. [/quote]
 Well, what about the $5,000 awarded on WBSM and Supermarket Sweep? Is that given out in cash, even though it's in plain view (Well, the SS's $5K is anyway, right near the 3rd product in the bonus round)?

zachhoran

Money "Count-Offs"
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2004, 08:24:04 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 07:55 PM\']
Well, what about the $5,000 awarded on WBSM and Supermarket Sweep? Is that given out in cash, even though it's in plain view (Well, the SS's $5K is anyway, right near the 3rd product in the bonus round)? [/quote]
 The cash seen on WBSM and on Sweep is play money. Players receive a check for the amount won sometime after the show has aired. In the case of Sweep, wouldn't the monies won be split down the middle, and each member of the team would get a check for half?

tvrandywest

Money "Count-Offs"
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2004, 08:34:45 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 04:55 PM\']Well, what about the $5,000 awarded on WBSM and Supermarket Sweep? Is that given out in cash, even though it's in plain view (Well, the SS's $5K is anyway, right near the 3rd product in the bonus round)?[/quote]
Give cash to a contestant in front of an audience of 300+ people and then send him out to the parking lot? Safety is yet another good reason not to use cash than much more than a prop; safety for both the winners and the production company.

The $2,000,000 available in real US greenbacks at "21" was the most elaborate on-stage payout I ever witnessed, but those players were barely out of camera range before it was quickly taken back. And the cost of all that security must have been outrageous; there were guards everywhere.

Much more than $500 - $1,000 in cash at "Price" and I would imagine there would be thought of augmenting the unarmed CBS security staff already on hand. And when it comes to the security of proving that money was indeed awarded and received, nothing beats a cancelled check with the winner's endorement.

Up close, the "cash" at WBSM was some of the less convincing stage money around. And alas, that same $5,000 at "Sweep" has been handled more than Heidi Fleiss flesh.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 08:36:21 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Brandon Brooks

Money "Count-Offs"
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2004, 08:55:02 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 08:34 PM\'] Up close, the "cash" at WBSM was some of the less convincing stage money around. And alas, that same $5,000 at "Sweep" has been handled more than Heidi Fleiss flesh. [/quote]
 Ouch!

Brandon Brooks

uncamark

Money "Count-Offs"
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2004, 05:10:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 08:34 PM\']Up close, the "cash" at WBSM was some of the less convincing stage money around.[/quote]
Well, if it had Ben's picture on it...  :)

And alas, that same $5,000 at "Sweep" has been handled more than Heidi Fleiss flesh.

HIYOOOOOO!...