Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arthur Chu Article ("Jeopardy!")  (Read 15179 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Arthur Chu Article ("Jeopardy!")
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 04:01:32 PM »
It sounds like he's admitting if he had to play the traditional way that his knowledge just by itself wouldn't carry the day.

Then it's a good thing there is more to Jeopardy! than a single predetermined string of one question after another.

I would prefer that Arthur didn't apologize for what he's doing.

This precisely. Fark the OCDs / people-in-need-of-structure-in-every-aspect-of-their-lives who don't like it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
I would prefer that Arthur didn't apologize for what he's doing.

This precisely. Fark the OCDs / people-in-need-of-structure-in-every-aspect-of-their-lives who don't like it.

The difference is that Chu couldn't care less whether he's apologizing or cackling like Dr. Evil, so long as somebody's commenting about it.

BTW, spoiler blah blah and all that, but I figure he must have won yesterday?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 04:16:59 PM »
Handily.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »
Someone mentioned Herm Edwards in another thread, and hit it right on the head. Play to win the game. If you're Ken Jennings and you can answer 50 of the 60 clues every damn game, go for it. If you need to play defensive to keep the lead, do that.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 05:21:08 PM »
Someone mentioned Herm Edwards in another thread, and hit it right on the head. Play to win the game.
Given his coaching record overall I find this amusing and condescending to the other players. I doubt they are showing up to not win the game and to enjoy the consolation money.
Travis L. Eberle

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2014, 06:05:19 PM »
Someone mentioned Herm Edwards in another thread, and hit it right on the head. Play to win the game.
Given his coaching record overall I find this amusing and condescending to the other players. I doubt they are showing up to not win the game and to enjoy the consolation money.
I think that was Herm's response to a reporter's question about his team's work ethic. Not him trying to talk to his team to motivate them. In that context, I don't find it nearly as condescending.

It's just amazing the big deal people will make out of anything. I didn't see nearly this much conversation when Colby was on and his facial expressions were almost enough to give someone a nightmare.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 06:10:13 PM »
I think that was Herm's response to a reporter's question about his team's work ethic. Not him trying to talk to his team to motivate them. In that context, I don't find it nearly as condescending.
I meant to the Jeopardy players who aren't defeating Arthur. They're trying as hard as anyone else. To say that you play to win the game is about as revelatory as "it's only easy if you know it."
Travis L. Eberle

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 02:08:03 PM »
It's not for Arthur's two opponents, it's for the portion of the viewing audience who don't like his methods, just like Herm's quote was for the reporters and not his players.  Obviously they're all trying to win the game, but not every Cletus and Josephine understands there's more than one way to do it.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 02:49:19 PM »
It's not for Arthur's two opponents, it's for the portion of the viewing audience who don't like his methods, just like Herm's quote was for the reporters and not his players.  Obviously they're all trying to win the game, but not every Cletus and Josephine understands there's more than one way to do it.
My problem with this whole line of reasoning is that I'm not seeing anything that actually says Cletus and Josephine are having a hard time with any of this.  The snowballing viral story is that Arthur Chu is annoying viewers with his unusual tactics.  But I'm not seeing any actual complaints.  Anywhere.  All I'm seeing are stories that SAY people don't like it. 

Yes, the show is seen by millions of people, and there are bound to be folks who see something out of the ordinary and have a problem.  Elsewhere, I have seen the race card played, and again, in a pool of millions, yes, there are going to be people who don't like him because he looks funny.  In both cases, I'm just saying that the number of people who actually have a problem is insignificant and wildly disproportionate to the uproar.

EDIT to say that of course there are the typical internet rowdies who complain about everything.  My point is that Mr. and Mrs. America just don't think this is a big deal.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:16:58 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.