Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arthur Chu Article ("Jeopardy!")  (Read 15181 times)

gamed121683

Arthur Chu Article ("Jeopardy!")
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:53:19 PM »
Here's an interesting article about how Jeopardy's recent winner is "Chu"-ing out the competition (thank you for groaning). However, I feel that the author is making Arthur sound like he's pulling a Michael Larson. By that I mean he's capitalizing on the "flaws" of the game, so to speak. Am I wrong to think that?

http://www.thewire.com/entertainment/2014/01/jeopardys-newest-star-proves-optimal-strategy-really-unfriendly/357609/

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Arthur Chu Article ("Jeopardy!")
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 12:12:56 AM »
I can't stand Arthur either...but I think that calling him a game changer three days into his championship reign is WAY too early.

Let him put together a 20 or 74 game streak first.

And has the writer of this article ever seen an episode of Jeopardy! in his life? LOTS of people have done the Daily Double hunting strategy. LOTS.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 12:39:22 AM »
It always amuses me whenever anyone gets their OCD in a twist over someone doing ANYTHING but taking a category top to bottom like a good little sheep.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 01:24:17 AM »
It always amuses me whenever anyone gets their OCD in a twist over someone doing ANYTHING but taking a category top to bottom like a good little sheep.

I get annoyed by it from time to time.

I'm not gonna waste my time writing an article about it though.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »
Here's an interesting article about how Jeopardy's recent winner is "Chu"-ing out the competition (thank you for groaning). However, I feel that the author is making Arthur sound like he's pulling a Michael Larson. By that I mean he's capitalizing on the "flaws" of the game, so to speak. Am I wrong to think that?
yes.

Chuck Forrest used the Rubin Bounce (named for a classmate who suggested the tactic) to win $172,800. This isn't new; it dates back to 1985.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:59:16 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

BillCullen1

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 02:24:09 PM »
He's not doing anything against the rules, but interrupting Alex when he's reading a Daily Double clue to say "I don't know" comes across as rude.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 03:13:16 PM »
I haven't watched any of his performance, but I am dumbfounded at the amount of attention this FOUR GAME WINNER is receiving.  It's probably a textbook case of how something that starts in the social media somehow takes root and spreads, like kuzdu on the side of a southern highway, throughout the mainstream media.

So yeah, a guy who by his own admission is trying to be a little unsettling to his opponents is a little unsettling to watch.  For those of us who know the game, that's hardly newsworthy.  Apparently people who've watched him play say that he hasn't really shown the depth of knowledge that will keep him around much longer anyway.  But the media, in their effort to make this a thing, are dropping terms like "mad genius" and the WAY overused "game theory" in an effort to make a big deal over someone who simply knows what he's doing and doesn't worry too much about the social aspects of it.  It's all a little silly.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 03:29:31 PM »
What's funny is that I was reading an article on him this morning which basically accused him of annoying Alex because he was taking the clues out of the "traditional" order.  Wow...he really *is* getting people's "OMG!! Start at the $200, you bastard!" instincts going way more than they need to be.

Watch...if he wins a few more games, besides the KenJen comparisons, we'll also be told how that's the "new, correct, game-theoretic" way to play the game.

\threw that one in for you, Matt O.  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 03:35:50 PM »
One thing we can infer: when there's video clues they're now five different clips instead of one long tape roll. In the old days players had to take those in order to make sure the tape would play the next one down. They could zig zag all over the board otherwise. One thing I remember reading: it takes a certain level of confidence and concentration to be able to carry out that plan well. Anyone can jump ship to go Daily Double hunting-it is another thing entirely to dominate the board.

Alex mentioned Arthur got a three-week break but there's only this week of Decades play; is there a Teen tournament on deck?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:40:22 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 03:54:02 PM »
To Arthur's credit, he is not only quick to say he didn't come up with these strategies on his own, but in a lot of cases, he's giving specific credit to the individuals who did, or at least who did them first.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 04:42:06 PM »
What's funny is that I was reading an article on him this morning which basically accused him of annoying Alex because he was taking the clues out of the "traditional" order

Do you think Alex really cares if a contestant takes the clues out of order?  Several other contestants have done that this season and no-one has made much of an issue over it.

Personally, I think it's a refreshing change.  Sometimes it's a little boring to see the same 200-400-600,etc. order all the time.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 05:49:54 PM »
Do you think Alex really cares if a contestant takes the clues out of order?

I think so. He draws lines through used clues on his master list, so if a contestant starts bouncing around the board, he has to make sure he's reading from the correct box rather than simply the next one down. Playing the clues in order means there's one less thing he has to concentrate on.

Personally, as a viewer, it annoys me when contestants play categories out of order (the only person I didn't mind seeing do it was Roger Craig, as he would make gutsy, exciting wagers when he found the Daily Doubles). But of course, it isn't the contestants' responsibility to not annoy the home viewers. Still, it always makes me laugh when a contestant goes fishing for a Daily Double and misses it because one of their opponents found it in the second row.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 06:03:40 PM »
But of course, it isn't the contestants' responsibility to not annoy the home viewers.
If enough viewers are annoyed and tune out, then it is. I doubt that'll happen but it is worth pointing out that without a TV show Jeopardy doesn't exist.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 07:02:29 PM »
If enough viewers are annoyed and tune out, then it is.

If enough viewers are annoyed and tune out, then it's four minutes 'til Wapner, if you know what I'm saying.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 07:04:03 PM »
If enough viewers are annoyed and tune out, then it's four minutes 'til Wapner, if you know what I'm saying.
I actually did that routine today; very pleased that our IT guy picked up on it.

/I suppose if a viewer finds Wheel of Fortune too hard in this area they can pick from Entertainment Tonight, Evening Magazine or Family Phallus.

//Didn't Jeopardy make a change to their signaling system early on precisely due to viewer complaints? Either there was a tone to go with the lights or they changed when you could buzz or when Alex would recognize a signal.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:10:14 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle