Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Bet On Your Baby" renewed  (Read 4170 times)

colonial

"Bet On Your Baby" renewed
« on: January 28, 2014, 12:52:15 PM »
In a bit of a shocker, ABC has renewed the low-rated toddler game "Bet On Your Baby" for a second, eight-episode season.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/bet-on-your-baby-renewed-by-abc-1201074253/

No word on when the episodes will air.

JD

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: "Bet On Your Baby" renewed
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 01:00:06 PM »
Million Dollar Mind Game had some faults to be sure but it was challenging fun once you accepted the show's mindset. It languishes in the dustbin of television history after six episodes on a Sunday afternoon. Bet on Your Baby had almost nothing positive going for it and it gets a second go.

No justice.
Travis L. Eberle

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 01:04:24 PM »
Can someone please explain to me how can a low-rated show get renewed? What sense does that make?

It's like with 30 Rock. Almost nobody watched it, but NBC, for no reason, kept renewing it over and over and over again.

Fedya

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 01:06:13 PM »
It's cheap to make and, in spite of the low ratings, makes money?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »
Can someone please explain to me how can a low-rated show get renewed? What sense does that make?
It probably made some money for all concerned. (I'm guessing that game shows are per-episode much less expensive to produce than a sitcom or drama). If the show makes eight episodes they now have an insurance policy if something tanks. I don't like it either but it does make sense for them to have something up their sleeve like this. And if they don't air, so what? It isn't like the world has missed out on something great.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 01:08:56 PM »
It's like with 30 Rock. Almost nobody watched it, but NBC, for no reason,

I'm gonna guess they had a reason. Probably several million reasons. Unless you have access to their books and know something we don't.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

colonial

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 01:14:21 PM »
As Fedya notes, "Baby" is relatively cheap to produce.  It also had big-name sponsors in P&G and Walmart for Season 1.   Bringing them both back to the fold (or a similar sponsor -- say, Target instead of Walmart) probably guaranteed them a second season.

It will likely air again on Saturdays during the spring or summer, although it wouldn't hurt ABC to try the show on Fridays at 8pm ET before "Shark Tank" once "Last Man Standing" and "The Neighbors" end their seasons.  "Shark Tank" has a very strong following not just with the key 18-49 demo, but also with families (The ABC programming chief mentioned in the fall schedule announcement in May that "ST" is, in his words, "the most popular ABC prime time show with children").  It's a longshot, but "Baby" might benefit from the "Shark Tank" pairing.

JD

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:16:42 PM »
(The ABC programming chief mentioned in the fall schedule announcement in May that "ST" is, in his words, "the most popular ABC prime time show with children").
I like this sentence quite a lot.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 01:52:06 PM »
It's like with 30 Rock. Almost nobody watched it, but NBC, for no reason, kept renewing it over and over and over again.
Speak for yourself (remember how you got upset unnecessarily for doing that yesterday?). The show was critically acclaimed, it won Emmys, and produced in house, which means it was a little cheaper to produce. Besides, none of NBC's sitcoms of the last 10 years have really set the Nielsen ratings on fire, but aired for several years (Scrubs, The Office, Parks and Rec, Community)

Oh wait, it did have Alec Baldwin, didn't it?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 08:23:33 PM »
Speak for yourself (remember how you got upset unnecessarily for doing that yesterday?). The show was critically acclaimed, it won Emmys, and produced in house, which means it was a little cheaper to produce. Besides, none of NBC's sitcoms of the last 10 years have really set the Nielsen ratings on fire, but aired for several years (Scrubs, The Office, Parks and Rec, Community)

Oh wait, it did have Alec Baldwin, didn't it?

I'm gonna go lock myself in the TTD90 room until Vanna Nissan's inevitable blowup clears out.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022