Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Crackle's Jeopardy Flashback  (Read 24014 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Crackle's Jeopardy Flashback
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2014, 10:36:50 PM »
Yeah, probably, though, hey, if they could be proven wrong...

How do you propose this happen?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2014, 11:07:15 PM »
If CBS can put episodes of Price up everyday, I don't see why the two powerhouses of syndication couldn't.

CBS isn't trying to get TV stations to pay to carry their show. In fact, it kinda works in the other direction.
Ah yes. This makes sense. Since anyone can air these two shows and only CBS can air Price, CBS doesn't have to worry about more than one medium taking away viewers.

Not to veer this off-topic, but I wonder why Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! haven't at least started uploading recent episodes online?

Because their syndication deals become significantly less lucrative the second they do.
Well considering the ratings have eroded drastically since the beginning of the 21st century, would it be foolish to say that they should embrace the new medium or is it too soon? Netflix seems to be getting acclaim for its original series, but I don't know exactly how well that translates to money. Though I would suppose that the syndication money far outweighs any potential streaming money.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2014, 11:18:10 PM »
Netflix seems to be getting acclaim for its original series, but I don't know exactly how well that translates to money. Though I would suppose that the syndication money far outweighs any potential streaming money.
That's an easy thing to find out: how many people bought a scrip for Orange/Black, All New Arrested Development or House of Cards?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2014, 11:32:35 PM »
Though I would suppose that the syndication money far outweighs any potential streaming money.

Here's what would need to happen: If the stations who they have syndication deals with no longer have exclusives on the distribution of the show, the value of carrying the show is lessened significantly. Sony would then need to make up that difference plus overhead costs (servers and bandwidth aren't free) in the online advertising sold for the streaming versions of the show.

Trust me when I tell you the market isn't anywhere CLOSE to being there yet.

Before you point at House of Cards and Orange Is Teh New Black and say "but but but but they don't even SELL advertising!!" I'm going to point out that those shows are going to make metric farktons of money on the back end vis a vis home video sales (for that huge amount of the country who still doesn't have the bandwidth to handle Netflix) and/or international broadcast rights, never mind any subscription boosts Netflix has enjoyed since carrying those programs.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe