Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Crackle's Jeopardy Flashback  (Read 24021 times)

TimK2003

Re: Crackle's Jeopardy Flashback
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 10:42:29 PM »
I see Chuck's 2nd episode is audio only for the last segment.
Plays without problems on my end.

Not sure if it is due to Crackle, or the Roku device I use to watch it, but let's just say that more times than not, the transitions going to and from "commercial breaks" have a lot to be desired, including the aforementioned "audio only" problems. 

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 10:58:08 PM »
Games for the second decade of Jeopardy are up on Crackle, the first decade games remain.
Travis L. Eberle

Nick

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 03:30:48 PM »
The videos for the third decade are up now.  Also, unless I missed this before, the videos are now marked to expired May 31.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »
the videos are now marked to expired May 31.
Feel free to whoosh me if needed, but...why?
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2014, 08:40:23 PM »
Feel free to whoosh me if needed, but...why?

Presumably the tournament will be over by then.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Nick

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2014, 08:54:12 PM »
Presumably the tournament will be over by then.

Presumably yes, but it'd be nice if they'd think there would be people interested in watching the episodes afterwards.

It'd be even nicer if they'd think, "Let's make more episodes available just for the heck of it."
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2014, 09:12:44 PM »
Presumably yes, but it'd be nice if they'd think there would be people interested in watching the episodes afterwards.

It'd be even nicer if they'd think, "Let's make more episodes available just for the heck of it."
Both of these things also cost money.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2014, 09:15:47 PM »

That would indeed be *so* nice.

But it is reasonable to assume that some money is changing hands (even between divisions of Sony, of which Crackle is apparently a subsidiary) or that some sort of finite resource (server space, conversion labor, bandwidth) is being consumed in order to make these episodes available.

I'm going to guess that without the cross-promotion of this tournament, there are probably more profitable things to use those finite resources on.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2014, 09:30:25 PM »
Attention citizenry of the Game Show Forum, I have a question for ye:

What's the last thing you watched on Crackle that wasn't a Jeopardy episode? Because for me that answer is C) None of the above. Am I more likely to use their service now? Yes, as even a fraction of something is more than zero. I would love it if all of the visual content ever created was available for my consumption any time I damn well please on whatever device I can fire up. But that's not the case, we all have to pick our spots. For me Jeopardy is really one of those shows that except for a tournament once I've watched an episode I'm pretty well good.
Travis L. Eberle

Nick

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2014, 09:33:20 PM »
I'm going to guess that without the cross-promotion of this tournament, there are probably more profitable things to use those finite resources on.

Yeah, probably, though, hey, if they could be proven wrong...

While on the subject, I wonder when episodes will be made available online in short order after they first air.  It seems pretty old fashioned in this day an age it's either catch an episode on its first run or you lose, lest it gets reaired in the six-week break or on Saturday next year.  I would think the show has a strong enough following that if somebody were to inadvertently miss an episode, they'd make the effort to see it to fill in the gap between successive episodes.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2014, 09:40:49 PM »
While on the subject, I wonder when episodes will be made available online in short order after they first air.  It seems pretty old fashioned in this day an age it's either catch an episode on its first run or you lose, lest it gets reaired in the six-week break or on Saturday next year.  I would think the show has a strong enough following that if somebody were to inadvertently miss an episode, they'd make the effort to see it to fill in the gap between successive episodes.
How much would you be willing to pay to do that? Would you pay a greater amount to not do it a la carte but instead to know that you can do that any time in the entire season? How many people would sign up for that?
Travis L. Eberle

Nick

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2014, 09:45:12 PM »
How much would you be willing to pay to do that? Would you pay a greater amount to not do it a la carte but instead to know that you can do that any time in the entire season? How many people would sign up for that?

Quote me some numbers, and I'd decide on the best deal in my interest, I guess.  My point is merely that the networks and services like Hulu have found ways to make first-run shows available on the Internet (and free to the viewers at that).  Something for the syndicated world should be possible.

BrandonFG

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »
Attention citizenry of the Game Show Forum, I have a question for ye:

What's the last thing you watched on Crackle that wasn't a Jeopardy episode?
An episode of Sanford and Son. :-P

Even though my Roku has the big three streaming apps (Crackle, Hulu+, Netflix), I really only use the latter, and even that is sporadic. I suppose I could catch a few episodes of Jeopardy! though...

/Not counting yesterday's binge session of Orange is the New Black
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »
Not to veer this off-topic, but I wonder why Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! haven't at least started uploading recent episodes online? If CBS can put episodes of Price up everyday, I don't see why the two powerhouses of syndication couldn't. I suppose it would be a little more difficult since Price airs at the same time everyday, while these two might not, but given that they're at least done airing by 8pm, uploading them the next day wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'm not in charge of these decisions, and I don't know the logistics behind how they work, but if there is working model for it, I think it's worth a shot. Hell, maybe that's what this was.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

clemon79

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2014, 10:32:49 PM »
Not to veer this off-topic, but I wonder why Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! haven't at least started uploading recent episodes online?

Because their syndication deals become significantly less lucrative the second they do.

If CBS can put episodes of Price up everyday, I don't see why the two powerhouses of syndication couldn't.

CBS isn't trying to get TV stations to pay to carry their show. In fact, it kinda works in the other direction.

I don't know the logistics behind how they work

Yes.