Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread  (Read 376176 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« Reply #915 on: January 10, 2023, 05:26:25 PM »
That is some excellent handiwork! What is your design program of choice?

Really just Photoshop, and mostly just copypastas from a couple of Flashgames screengrabs (and I found that plenty-high-enough-res TTD logo someplace) with a little bit of layer work to clean up some color artifacts and such, resized to poker-card width (which made them a little smaller than poker card height, which bugged for a second until I realized it was going to make getting all nine on one page a LOT easier) then I printed on our laser printer on decent cardstock (I tried to make it into a PDF but I must have been doing something wrong as it didn't wanna line up quite right on both sides (I have guesses) so I just ran one side through and then reloaded the cardstock for the other side and that was fine), laminated, cut with a paper slicer, and finished with the corner rounder.

Here y'all, enjoy. I made the main pages into PNGs as well in case someone doesn't have Photoshop. This link will die in a week so get it while it's hot:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkS0q-G_hT_GmpF_srlleYMdTs7YPw?e=y9agod
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #916 on: January 10, 2023, 05:33:44 PM »
Those look very nice.  What kind of materials were used?

110-pound cardstock, an HP LaserJet 400 Color M451dw printer, standard lamination pouches with a $20 Swingline laminator, this paper slicer, and the small setting on this corner rounder.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #917 on: January 10, 2023, 06:33:37 PM »
If I still had the home game, I would try to load them into NANDeck and make M:TG sized cards to aid my fumble fingers. The workmanship is outstanding.
Travis L. Eberle

bwood

« Reply #918 on: January 12, 2023, 07:28:05 PM »
Looks like Jeopardy! PlayShow is now on the Nintendo Switch as of last August. I don't remember it being mentioned:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/jeopardy-playshow-switch/

I don't know much about it but we had a trial years ago on our FireTV and it was buggy.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 01:55:15 PM by bwood »

Hastin

« Reply #919 on: January 17, 2023, 04:57:37 PM »
Looks like Jeopardy! PlayShow is now on the Nintendo Switch as of last August. I don't remember it being mentioned:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/jeopardy-playshow-switch/

I don't know much about it but we had a trial years ago on our FireTV and it was buggy.

It's better, but the overall concept is still flawed to me. I found that the 80s pack played the best at small parties, but them being linked to just watching episodes still didn't work for some people. The voice recognition is very buggy, and it all feels like it's powered by apps that won't be supported in a few years. Lack of new DLC has me concerned that this might be retired soon.

It's been nearly 6 years since the last licensed J! video game, and hopefully someone will pickup the license soon.
-Hastin :)

Bob Zager

« Reply #920 on: February 25, 2023, 12:20:54 PM »
Last week, I bought on amazon.com the Jeopardy! game tin by Igloo Books.  The biggest disappointment is that it only has enough material for TWO complete games!  Although there are 12 different FJ! categories/clues.

When they say that it has "56 prize cards," they mean that there are 8 sets of seven money value cards.  Six cards in each set have the clue value on one side and the Jeopardy logo on the other.  The seventh one in each set says "Daily Double," on the reverse side.  As a bit of a spoiler, this means that the "Daily Doubles," for DJ! would each be hidden behind a different value (ex. $2,000 in one category and $1,200 in a different one).

Nice collectible tin, but not a great game (the Hasbro/Parker Bros. version from 1999 is still the best).

Bob Zager

« Reply #921 on: March 05, 2023, 12:55:53 PM »
Since the pandemic, and two Toy Fair cancellations. what used to occur about now, takes place in the fall in Dallas.  No new home games to report at this time.

Recently, I've gotten a bit active in finding old games on eBay and similar sites.  I acquired a "Still sealed," copy of MB's last Jeopardy! game from 1982.  Billed as the fourteenth edition, it like Concentration and Password was actually the thirteenth version, with MB deliberately skipping the numerical value, due to triskadecaphobia (fear of number thirteen).

Bob Zager

« Reply #922 on: March 06, 2023, 11:43:09 AM »
After acquiring a copy of MB's Camouflage game from eBay last week, I'm wondering could the show have started out locally and gotten it's own home game before airing nationally, or could they have stopped promoting the show on the box game after the show's cancellation.  The first illustration is similar to the one I got.  You will notice there is no mention of the TV show, and no extra transparent plastic sheets for play on your TV.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Cb8AAOSwDCZg5fg5/s-l1600.jpg

The next two box illustrations mention the show, and the extra sheets being included.  Only the final illustration shows (in rather fine print) "as seen on ABC-TV"

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1031306/camouflage

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/h6wAAOSwn~Zj6oFL/s-l1600.jpg

alfonzos

« Reply #923 on: March 10, 2023, 05:42:26 PM »
After acquiring a copy of MB's Camouflage game from eBay last week, I'm wondering could the show have started out locally and gotten it's own home game before airing nationally, or could they have stopped promoting the show on the box game after the show's cancellation.
I have this one in my collection and, FTR, I am dumbfounded as to how awful this home game is.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

dazztardly

« Reply #924 on: March 10, 2023, 11:11:09 PM »
I have pretty good slides for the boxes, now I need to cobble together a card back.
I'd say they came out pretty well!

https://imgur.com/a/jroIjeS

Nice job, they look pretty cool. I drew the original graphics for that flash game probably around twenty years ago. I recreated everything in vector with graphic software called Xara. The logo took probably the longest, almost a couple weeks. Retracing it off of the Ideal board game box art. The dragon was recreated pixel by pixel off referencing from several screengrabs. When Wink Martindale's social media team released a limited edition t-shirt, they used my dragon graphic for it.

Again, awesome work putting those cards together.
-Dan

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #925 on: April 07, 2023, 01:48:20 PM »
After going through some old storage boxes, I finally found an old TV Guide insert, from 1993, that I thought might look interesting, though no longer available for sale:

I don't think you can directly link to something in your email inbox (I'm seeing nothing).

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Bob Zager

« Reply #926 on: April 07, 2023, 07:26:56 PM »
Sorry, I'll try to work it out.  If anyone knows how to get it working from a PDF file let me know.

Bob Zager

« Reply #927 on: April 11, 2023, 07:30:31 PM »

jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #928 on: May 03, 2023, 10:13:15 PM »
So I'm the about getting this 1986 $ale of the Century Quizzard board game - is it any good? I know there is video review, but I just want your thoughts, from you guys.

Sodboy13

« Reply #929 on: May 03, 2023, 11:06:03 PM »
It is very nice, though you may find many of the questions from that 37-year-old book rather outdated.

My only quibble with it is that they replaced the "earn your way up to bigger prizes" mechanism for the end of the game with "take a random WINNER card, there's your prize." Presumably this was done because the US show had ditched buying grand prizes for the Winner's Board by then, but it's a gameplay feature that works very well with the home version, and is something you can easily add back to the game.on your own.

If you'd want to go the extra step and get the Winner cards with prices printed on them, there's often someone selling sets of cards from an Aussie home game, and the shipping's cheap because they're not sending out that whole giant box.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation