Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread  (Read 376099 times)

bwood

Re: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« Reply #675 on: October 13, 2020, 09:09:47 PM »
I downloaded it and totally see what you are saying about the board and how it stops.
However, when I cast the app from my phone to my LG TV, the spins seem to be more in "real time" due to the lag between devices. I know not everyone will do this but on my end, it definitely made it playable. Too bad it does not keep score.

I ordered the game from B&N blindly earlier this week, hoping it would be decent but I see it does have its flaws that I was hoping it wouldn't have.

Not that it will matter, but I did shoot the software development team an email about the spinning issue in hopes maybe they will eventually look at it. The great thing is, that it is an app, not physical media so it could be easily fixed.

For those interested, their email is: gamestarops@gmail.com.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #676 on: October 14, 2020, 01:07:39 AM »

I remain amazed that one person was able to do 20 years ago, in his spare time for free, what no software company has been able to do since.

And yet, 20 years later, still the platinum standard for computer games that Ludia couldn't and Gamestar has yet to achieve.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #677 on: October 14, 2020, 12:48:50 PM »

I remain amazed that one person was able to do 20 years ago, in his spare time for free, what no software company has been able to do since.

And yet, 20 years later, still the platinum standard for computer games that Ludia couldn't and Gamestar has yet to achieve.

Amazing what can happen when the developer actually gives a crap, yes?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #678 on: October 15, 2020, 12:30:00 AM »

Amazing what can happen when the developer actually gives a crap, yes?

Bullseye

Bob Zager

« Reply #679 on: October 19, 2020, 07:50:32 PM »
Here is a link to a press release about new Family Feud video games coming out next month for various systems:

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/NegRQw8aZdS3zaWn9jmse/family-feud-out-november-12

I saw the Press Your Luck and Family Feud retro edition board games in my local Barnes and Noble.  Some noticeable features on the box bottoms

For FF retro:  the answer cover slides show the yellow/red graphics (used for spaces w/no answers on the show) from the original shows design, and when open they show the popularity number, followed by the answer, and the survey result (example:   1.      answer       47). 

In addition the game has classic survey questions and results, as well as recent questions and results.

The PYL game has a game "scoreboard," for keeping track of total money accumulated and the number of Whammies encountered.  The picture I saw on the box bottom showed for each of the three players a Spins earned and spins passed grid of twelve numbered squares each.  It almost reminded me of how they kept track of spins on "Second Chance,"  the prequel to PYL!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #680 on: October 19, 2020, 08:24:05 PM »
Regarding PYL: That’s pretty clever.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #681 on: October 20, 2020, 11:40:43 AM »

Has anyone heard from Curt King? I feel like he just kinda fell off the face of the planet (and if something did in fact happen to him, my apologies in advance).
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

curtking

« Reply #682 on: October 20, 2020, 01:35:47 PM »
Hi!  I'm still here!

The PYL game I designed was taken down due to a C&D some years ago.  I've always wanted to do other games, just never found the time, unfortunately.  My heart is to do another "home version" of a real game, but I struggle with that since the copyright holders are pretty aggressive these days.  I'd hate to sink time into something just to get another C&D.

So I hang around here, commenting every so often. Still enjoying the community :)

SamPrainito

« Reply #683 on: October 21, 2020, 10:28:39 PM »
Found the Retro Feud game today.  Let the buyer beware!

I’m a sucker for a good cover, and this one has a great watercolor that’s very similar to the old MB versions of the game. That’s the good.

What’s bad is that everything is cardboard.  The 40th anniversary game a few years ago was a better recreation of the old home game, and did it with the plastic board.  Not only that, but the board itself doesn’t even resemble anything from the show.  It looks a lot like a sketch comedy version of a Feud-type game show.

Of course, there’s a dry erase board and marker included, because why not?

I don’t usually buy Feud items because I dislike Steve Harvey and the current version of the show.  This one hit me in a place of nostalgia.  But now the only thing I’m nostalgic for is the $25 I used to have!

We’re gonna pass, Richard!

Sodboy13

« Reply #684 on: October 22, 2020, 12:35:35 AM »
Curt, since you're still here, let me take a moment to offer my thanks for your game. It's now made its way onto my 4th computer, and brought loads of entertainment to plenty of friends - and now, our kids - along the way.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

SuperMatch93

« Reply #685 on: October 22, 2020, 12:46:11 AM »
Hi!  I'm still here!

The PYL game I designed was taken down due to a C&D some years ago.  I've always wanted to do other games, just never found the time, unfortunately.  My heart is to do another "home version" of a real game, but I struggle with that since the copyright holders are pretty aggressive these days.  I'd hate to sink time into something just to get another C&D.

So I hang around here, commenting every so often. Still enjoying the community :)

As someone who discovered PYL on GSN at 9 years old and was absolutely spellbound by both the show and your PC version, thank you for creating something that meant so much to the community then and now.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #686 on: October 23, 2020, 01:06:03 AM »
I actually have to disagree with Sam's review of the Family Feud game. I bought it on a lark tonight. The cardboard components didn't bother me so much. It's sturdy cardboard and I rather like that it comes out of the box fully assembled. No, the design on the game board doesn't resemble the real show but I actually think it looks quite attractive; it's a red, yellow, and blue combo that manages to capture the look & spirit of the Dawson AND Combs eras, and I like the little extra touch that the ten slats that cover the answers now have the red & yellow checkerboard pattern from Dawson's version on them. The dry erase board is a dry erase board; it's for keeping score and for keeping track of fast money answers, plus three boxes at the top for tracking strikes. That's honestly my only beef with the game--I think it's more fun to have the strikes on cards and slam each one on the table while making a dramatic "BUZZ" sound.

As for contents, the games are on gummed tear-off sheets. It's based on the Milton Bradley design, but with only one survey question on each sheet. You get 60 "modern" main game surveys, 20 "modern" Fast Money rounds, 30 "retro" questions pulled from 1976 games, and 10 "retro" Fast Money rounds. Different fonts are used for the modern and retro content, which is a nice way of visually separating them as you use them.

So that gives you a thumbs-up and a thumbs-down to work with, I guess. But I really do genuinely like this new-old version.

Bob Zager

« Reply #687 on: October 26, 2020, 07:31:19 PM »
I stumbled across this video on Facebook, from an episode of 25 Words or Less, which aired in September.  A contestant showed his copy of the original board game, from long before the TV show.  The facebook site is asking if people would like to see a new board game, and so far there has been strong, positive feedback!

https://www.facebook.com/25WordsOrLess/videos/1238211689861174

With the recent announcement that "The Wall" will be back for a fourth season, I hope they will finally make a boardgame out of that.  They most recently added one in the UK.

Bob Zager

« Reply #688 on: October 28, 2020, 02:16:07 PM »
The familyfeud.shop is now showing the box cover and box bottom illustration to give you an idea of what it's like:

https://familyfeud.shop/collections/board-games/products/family-feud-retro-edition

BrandonFG

« Reply #689 on: October 28, 2020, 02:24:53 PM »
I stumbled across this video on Facebook, from an episode of 25 Words or Less, which aired in September.  A contestant showed his copy of the original board game, from long before the TV show.  The facebook site is asking if people would like to see a new board game, and so far there has been strong, positive feedback!
I remember looking for a copy on Amazon, and only finding the original, which at the time ran for about $100. I'm surprised they haven't come out with a new edition or an app, even before the show premiered.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!