Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread  (Read 376084 times)

Adam Nedeff

Re: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« Reply #525 on: December 15, 2019, 12:33:06 PM »
At Target, there is a card game based on the TBS show The Misery Index.
The show is based on a card game called Shit Happens. I’m guessing this is a re-release in new packaging.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #526 on: December 15, 2019, 10:31:34 PM »
The show is based on a card game called Shit Happens. I’m guessing this is a re-release in new packaging.

Kinda sorta.  Reading the BGG description, it looks like the same cards, but the actual game is different.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Bob Zager

« Reply #527 on: December 16, 2019, 08:14:42 PM »

Unrelated to this but related to an earlier post, Amazon says my copy if The Maury Game will arrive tomorrow.  (Before anyone asks, it's for my podcast.  Link in my sig.)  I can review it, if anybody really wants to know how bad it is.

I mentioned about the show and the new card game back in August.

Sodboy13

« Reply #528 on: December 23, 2019, 12:21:07 AM »
Five Below has "Platinum" and "Kids vs. Parents" editions of Family Feud for $5 each. They appear to be card game editions, just repackaged into slightly larger boxes.

Recently, I was able to snag the 40th Anniversary Edition of Feud on eBay for $8 - the one with the nice retro box art. And in a rare moment, let me congratulate Endless Games on their quality. The game board is exactly the same as the old Milton Bradley editions, and there are 72 game sheets included - that's 216 rounds and 72 games of Fast Money. MB used to put 60 sheets in each edition, I believe.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #529 on: December 29, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »
At a family gathering yesterday, I had a chance to play the Family Feud Kids vs. Parents edition. The game comes with rules describing how the two sides are supposed to split up and play separate rounds, but because I was there, we played normal Family Feud.

Because it's designed to be a family game, all of the questions in both the "Kids" and "Parents" decks have to be family friendly, so we just played from the deck for parents. When an 11-year-old joined one of the teams, only once did I surreptitiously skip over a question that kids wouldn't have any experience with.

The game suffers from the usual problem plaguing recent Family Feud games: The makers just dumped a bunch of survey results into the box and called it a day.

For example: By the end, the kids wanted to simply play Fast Money over and over, so I switched over to the Kids Fast Money cards (each card contains five questions). One of the games had two questions in a row that began with "Name an animal." Two different cards asked, with slightly different wording, for an animal that people ride, each with different point distributions.

Even though the cards were supposed to be played by kids, one of the questions asked (paraphrasing), "Name something you worry about now that you didn't worry about when you were 10 years old." Needless to say, the 11-year-old had trouble with that one. On that very same card, one of the questions asked players to name one of The Wiggles. To no one's surprise, that went over even worse.

The company paid no attention to the number of points available in any given question. I wasn't looking to see whether there were any impossible-to-win Fast Money cards, but there were a lot where the number one answers were mostly in the 20s (we played more than ten Fast Moneys, and only once did a team win). One of the Fast Money questions had only four answers on the card, all of which were worth 18 or fewer points. And then out of nowhere, a question snuck in on a different card where the number one answer was worth 85 points.

The main game cards suffered from the same problem of "way fewer than 100 points are possible" -- not a problem if you follow the game's rules where the winner is the team with the most points, but annoying if you try to use the material to play real Family Feud.

The biggest problem, though, was in the grouping of answers. Or, more accurately, lack thereof. We played a question asking what you should avoid if you're in the tropics -- "mosquitoes" was one answer, "bugs" was a second answer, and "spiders" was a third answer. On a question asking for something that's washed every day, "underwear" and "clothes" were two different answers.

But worst of all... I don't even know what players are supposed to do with this:

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #530 on: January 15, 2020, 01:29:09 PM »
Just your annual reminder that your local pop-up “Go’ Calendars and Games” is in the midst of their 50 percent off sale. If you still have yet to pick up your annual Jeopardy/Wheel calendar, now is the time.

Go also carries a decent line of game show home games each year. They’re typically overpriced at full price, but the 50% off makes them a bargain. Mine still had Pyramid, umpteen versions of Feud, and a number of the mini games inspired by The Tonight Show and Ellen. I picked up a copy of Danger Word for less than $15.

Per Scott’s post above, buy the Feud games at your own peril.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #531 on: January 17, 2020, 10:46:06 AM »
My family does the daily Family Feud calendar question in a group chat. It’s a fun little diversion.

The 2019 calendar was not perfect, but the quality was fine overall.

The 2020 calendar is TERRIBLE. It seems to be edited as poorly as the recent board games. Random/arbitrary questions, repeated answers, etc. I do not recommend.

Sodboy13

« Reply #532 on: January 23, 2020, 11:45:11 PM »
Our 6-year-old has really gotten into the "Magic Tree House" books, and there was a sale at Barnes & Noble, so hey, that's as good an excuse as any for me to pick up the new Deluxe Edition of Password. It got me over the free shipping threshold, after all. So, here's what's in the box, for those with an ongoing interest in such details, Matt:

* The scoring dial is made of nice, heavy cardboard like the old MB ones, and has a somewhat glossy finish. The pointer is thinner and lays flat against the board, kind of like the old metal ones. For whatever reason, 1 is at the top of the scoring dial instead of 10.

* The cards are printed with "Password Deluxe" on top, numbered 1 A/B through 50 A/B, with asterisks denoting the back sides. They're printed on semi-glossy card stock in perforated sheets of five.

* The leatherette holders seem a bit on the thin side, but they're still better than cardboard.

* There is enough score pad for 400 complete games of Password.

I know the question of "is it worth it" can only be answered after going through a few games' worth of words, but the quality of the materials makes the game feel like it's worth $18. Even the box is nice and sturdy.

Also, it just occurred to me that Endless has been making Password games for 23 years as of 2020. Milton Bradley made them for 24 years.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

Sodboy13

« Reply #533 on: January 25, 2020, 12:27:10 AM »
Keeping with the Feud theme, I found a very nice copy of the original 6th Edition from 1983 at Goodwill for $1.99. Opened it up tonight and realized something very odd: Every single survey question for the front game rounds - all 180 of them - has exactly five answers on the board.

Bob Zager

« Reply #534 on: February 03, 2020, 07:12:08 PM »
Per website i4u.com:

https://www.i4u.com/2020/02/133062/2020-toy-fair-endless-games-showcase-new-card-sharks-tv-game-show-game

The box (at least a prototype), indicates that the game is for "ages 14+."  There is no word as to what the game pieces will consist of, but I hope the cards will be of similar design to the ones used on the show, and also feature betting chips (even if only small punch-out cardboard ones) for the money cards.

Neumms

« Reply #535 on: February 06, 2020, 04:31:22 PM »
https://www.i4u.com/2020/02/133062/2020-toy-fair-endless-games-showcase-new-card-sharks-tv-game-show-game

Their game AKA seems a lot like Shoot the Works, Double Talk and the Wordplay end game. The "Fruits" card played a little differently, but might be interesting. Name 5 had more potential than I thought, too, although they'd need a good way to judge valid answers.

Both look horrendous, though. Oh, for the 70s when Parker Brothers had terrific designers.

BrandonFG

« Reply #536 on: February 06, 2020, 04:44:56 PM »

Their game AKA seems a lot like Shoot the Works, Double Talk and the Wordplay end game. The "Fruits" card played a little differently, but might be interesting. Name 5 had more potential than I thought, too, although they'd need a good way to judge valid answers.

Both look horrendous, though. Oh, for the 70s when Parker Brothers had terrific designers.
AKA wasn’t too bad, IMO, but agreed on Take 5. My eyesight just came back. :P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #537 on: February 07, 2020, 02:01:12 PM »
For those of you who don't already know this, AKA was invented by "one of us", which is probably why you can recognize so many game show elements in it.  Today, Aaron Solomon is a producer with a ton of game shows to his credit, but like a lot of us old-timers, he was part of the original Usenet group.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

calliaume

« Reply #538 on: February 07, 2020, 04:23:45 PM »
For those of you who don't already know this, AKA was invented by "one of us", which is probably why you can recognize so many game show elements in it.  Today, Aaron Solomon is a producer with a ton of game shows to his credit, but like a lot of us old-timers, he was part of the original Usenet group.
Some of us are fortunate enough to have a signed copy of the game! (Aaron did a promotional appearance out here.)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #539 on: February 07, 2020, 08:37:03 PM »
My guess is that Aaron came up with the concept and may have written the material, but I don’t think the graphic design was his bailiwick.
Travis L. Eberle