Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread  (Read 376415 times)

Sodboy13

Re: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« Reply #405 on: February 14, 2019, 02:25:09 AM »
Game show-adjacent, as I recall some here saying they've used this game for material: Five Below has the full version of the most recent edition of Outburst for $5.00.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BillCullen1

« Reply #406 on: February 14, 2019, 08:52:02 AM »
Game show-adjacent, as I recall some here saying they've used this game for material: Five Below has the full version of the most recent edition of Outburst for $5.00.

I got that from someone for Christmas. You now have 45 seconds to get the 10 answers on each card, down from 60 seconds. It's easier to see the answers through that red screen. My meetup game group liked it.

Bob Zager

« Reply #407 on: February 20, 2019, 02:23:44 PM »
Although not featured in their new catalog, EGs facebook page shows a couple of videos from this past week's Toy Fair in New York.  You'll notice quite a few copies of new box art for Password, apparently being re-released by EG after being licensed by Cardinal Industries for about two years.  The logo looks similar to the original series' "football," shaped oval logo.

Bob Zager

« Reply #408 on: March 08, 2019, 12:04:17 PM »
Here is a link to an interview with Endless Games at the recent Toy Fair in NYC:

https://toybuzz.org/endless-games-interview/

I'm curious if the "dice," mentioned for the WOF card game are just plain dice (multiplied by, say $100, when they are rolled); or specially designed ones, featuring different money amounts and Bankrupt/Lose a Turn on them.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #409 on: March 08, 2019, 12:22:23 PM »
Far and away the cheaper solution would be two standard dice, two different colors, and a card in the box that says "Red 1 White 1: $500. Red 1 White 2: Bankrupt." and such.

As such, that's where I'm betting. 108 cards on a sheet, right? 200 puzzles, two double-sided cards with four wheel configurations on them (or three and a Bonus Wheel), five with the rules, and one for advertising Other Hastily-Constructed Endless Products.

It is a really clever game of transferring the game show to a deck of cards. You’ve got to be a game maven to be able to know how to do that.

Mm-hmm. Game maven. All right then.

/that explains SO much
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #410 on: March 08, 2019, 12:56:11 PM »
Far and away the cheaper solution would be two standard dice, two different colors, and a card in the box that says "Red 1 White 1: $500. Red 1 White 2: Bankrupt." and such.

You don't even have to do multi colored dice at that point. You can just have 2 dice and the card. As an example, you could put Bankrupt on 2 and 12, Lose a Turn on 3, and so on.
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #411 on: March 08, 2019, 01:07:59 PM »
If I wanted to roll dice that badly I'd play Can't Stop or Stone Age. If I wanted to play Wheel of Fortune but the spinner had fallen into a vortex I would grab four blank dice from Game Crafter, mark them up appropriately, grab a bag of holding and draw/roll one die for each spin.

/but I wouldn't do any of that because I kept a spinner from each of the 1980s versions of the home game.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #412 on: March 08, 2019, 03:02:45 PM »
You don't even have to do multi colored dice at that point. You can just have 2 dice and the card. As an example, you could put Bankrupt on 2 and 12, Lose a Turn on 3, and so on.

Yes. Your wheel has 11 wedges. (And the seventh is fully 1/6th of the wheel.) Mine has 36. (Or dump the colors, and make it 21, where 1-2 and 2-1 are the same result. Put the bigger money / Million Dollar Wedge / half-cars / whatever the fork on doubles.)

/game maven

Sodboy13

« Reply #413 on: March 08, 2019, 03:38:34 PM »
That whole interview reads like it was run through a translator.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #414 on: March 08, 2019, 04:42:17 PM »

Yes. Your wheel has 11 wedges. (And the seventh is fully 1/6th of the wheel.) Mine has 36. (Or dump the colors, and make it 21, where 1-2 and 2-1 are the same result. Put the bigger money / Million Dollar Wedge / half-cars / whatever the fork on doubles.)

/game maven

If you ignore all the cardboard on the wheel, you only need 11 wedges.  (500, 550, 600, 650, 700, 800, 900, Top Dollar, Free Play, Lose A Turn, Bankrupt) 

Weirdly enough, having one number be fully 1/6th of the wheel *isn't enough*, since a full *quarter* of the wheel is $500.

If you say "7 = roll another d6 to determine which piece of cardboard you hit", then you can get close enough to the actual wheel layout for a $10 cash-in.

The following chart is close enough to the real thing for government work:

2 = Lose a Turn
3 = Bankrupt
4-9 = $100 x die roll
10 = Random piece of cardboard
11 = Free Play
12 = Top Dollar

weaklink75

« Reply #415 on: March 08, 2019, 04:49:02 PM »
There are 24-sided dice you know- one of those plus cards with different wheel configurations for each round would work, in a cheap way...

clemon79

« Reply #416 on: March 08, 2019, 04:56:37 PM »
Anything outside of cheap-ass dime-store D6s is going to be significantly more expensive to produce than a couple of cheap-ass dime-store D6s.

What's amusing about this discussion is that I would wager everything we're coming up with here is thought out *far* better then what the Game Maven ends up putting in the final box.

/and I way overthought the amount of content
//3 rounds + 1 bonus * 25 plays = 100 puzzles

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #417 on: March 11, 2019, 03:49:31 PM »
The Jeopardy Book of Answers is available now for just a shade over $10. Most of the material is taken from notable games (Episode 1, Ken's first and last games, etc.), so a large portion of this book is basically a print version of the Jeopardy Archive, with some show history at the top of each new "chapter". Most of the information is common knowledge among this group, but again- it's $10.

https://www.amazon.com/Jeopardy-Book-Answers-35th-Anniversary/dp/0795351062/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=jeopardy+book&qid=1552333507&s=gateway&sr=8-2
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Bob Zager

« Reply #418 on: March 12, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »
The Jeopardy Book of Answers is available now for just a shade over $10. Most of the material is taken from notable games (Episode 1, Ken's first and last games, etc.), so a large portion of this book is basically a print version of the Jeopardy Archive, with some show history at the top of each new "chapter". Most of the information is common knowledge among this group, but again- it's $10.

https://www.amazon.com/Jeopardy-Book-Answers-35th-Anniversary/dp/0795351062/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=jeopardy+book&qid=1552333507&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I just stumbled across this listing at Walmart's website:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Jeopardy-Book-of-Answers-eBook/298014610

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #419 on: March 13, 2019, 09:55:18 PM »

I just stumbled across this listing at Walmart's website:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Jeopardy-Book-of-Answers-eBook/298014610
As a cool side project, I would consider getting this to see how many of the players who played these boards I could get to sign a copy.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.