Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread  (Read 376426 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »
I've had both sets. My issue with the Tyco set was that there were too many pieces to build (sure, once they're done you don't have to do of again but younspend so much time doing it and I just wanna play) and the fishing for Daily Doubles. Pressman had an easier setup but you can't play a complete game with it (five categories) and there were a lot of pieces that were easy to lose. Neither gave you the ability to have a separate final Jeopardy (if I remember the Tyco version didn't have such an ability at all, whereas with the Pressman versions had you choose a Double Jeopardy clue to serve as Final).

If it comes down to preference I would probably choose the Pressman edition for familiarity's sake. I grew up with them.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

snowpeck

« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2016, 02:47:30 PM »
My favorite version of the Jeopardy home game from a playability standpoint was the Hasbro edition of the late 90s. It was similar enough to the Pressman/old Milton Bradley games to have familiarity going for it, but what stood out for me was that there were six categories per round and separate Final Jeopardy answers. You didn't have to arbitrarily use one of the DJ! answers.

The Tyco version just seemed overly complicated.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:57:42 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2016, 10:14:16 PM »
Bona fide Trivial Pursuit games cost upwards of $35- Hell, I just dropped $55 for a board game on Kickstarter.
But this is Jeopardy--people are expecting something for their twenty bucks. You get what you pay for.

But it does raise an interesting question- would you guys prefer the Pressman/Hasbro build or the Tyco build for a Jeopardy game?
I liked the Tyco method of allowing everyone to host rather than having one person sit out. If they were of a mind they could have games packaged together so that you don't have the problem of a round having too many or too few DDs, then take a page from Jeopardy 1978 and have the low scorer host Final Jeopardy with a separate deck of cards.

The thing for me is that there's lots better party game vehicles for trivia than Jeopardy.
Travis L. Eberle

Bob Zager

« Reply #153 on: August 01, 2016, 08:43:15 PM »
Click on the following link, and view the ttpm.com website's review of the Family Feud Disney Edition:

https://ttpm.com/p/19711/cardinal-games/family-feud-disney-edition/

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2016, 03:28:58 AM »
Bona fide Trivial Pursuit games cost upwards of $35- Hell, I just dropped $55 for a board game on Kickstarter.
But this is Jeopardy--people are expecting something for their twenty bucks. You get what you pay for.
Exactly why I prefaced my comments with "maybe it's different for games of a certain caliber and depth- pretty sure there aren't going to be any all night release parties for a Jeopardy game anytime soon.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2016, 12:15:46 PM »
Click on the following link, and view the ttpm.com website's review of the Family Feud Disney Edition:

Anyone have any luck finding the buzzer app they mention in the description?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2016, 02:12:42 PM »

Anyone have any luck finding the buzzer app they mention in the description?

So, if you look at the instructions they show at 35 seconds, it contains the logo from the Australian version.  And there is a buzzer app in the Australian app store.  It's basically a soundboard, and that's it.  I've got even money that they a) never release the app in American stores and b) never even cared about this when they used that ruleset.

edit: squinting closer, this ruleset mentions "wiping boards clean" after each round, when this box has paper sheets to write answers in.  So yeah, it's literally the 2nd edition Australian rules, and this "game review" is the drizzling shits for not noticing or mentioning.  That leads to this question:

• Did Cardinal Games license materials from Imagination games for the making of this product because they already had printed rules that fit in that box size (while being incredibly sloppy), or
  • Did Cardinal just basically steal stuff for a quick buck and not care?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 05:26:34 PM by parliboy »
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Bob Zager

« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2016, 05:10:53 PM »
I did mention in an earlier post about the instructions coming from the Australian version and, yes, that version is from Imagination games.

From my own research of articles from the last few years; some, but not all, games previously released by Imagination Games in the U.S. were sold off to a company called Spin Master Games.  Last year, Spin Master bought out Cardinal Industries, but still releases games under each company name.

BTW, some of the other titles originally manufactured in the U.S. by Imagination, are now being made by Outset Media, which has just released Jeopardy!

Bob Zager

« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »
With the recent revelation that ALL of the ABC-TV summer game shows being renewed for another season pickup, I've wondered if new box games might be in the future.  FF is already out, and new editions I'm sure will be there.  Here is what French Canadian fans of their versions of Pyramid and Match Game have seen in home game versions in recent years:

http://www.gladius.ca/en/Pyramide-French-Only?keyword=pyramide

http://www.gladius.ca/en/Atomes-Crochus-French-Only

If a new home version of TTTT were to come out, what famous people would be good "central characters," to be among material used?  Here are some I think:

O.J. Simpson
Bill (and Hillary) Clinton
Bill Gates
Martha Stewart
Oprah Winfrey

I'm sure the list can go on and on, but these are a few I think might be interesting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2016, 03:07:08 PM »
Isn't the premise that the central character is someone who has done something interesting or noteworthy but is otherwise unrecognizable? Or does the box game play differently?
Travis L. Eberle

Bob Zager

« Reply #160 on: August 04, 2016, 03:39:40 PM »
Isn't the premise that the central character is someone who has done something interesting or noteworthy but is otherwise unrecognizable? Or does the box game play differently?

Here is a link to info/photos of the TTTT home game from Lowell, 1957:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12397/tell-truth

The box game DID use famous people, and each member of the "team of challengers," received a card with answers to questions read from a card the "panel" used.  Only the person representing the "central character," would have a card showing only the correct answers to each question.  Each of the "imposters," received a card with multiple choice answers.  The "central character," was allowed to fake out facial expressions or verbal tones to make it look like they were selecting an answer to a question, but had to give the correct answer as shown on his/her card.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2016, 09:34:22 PM »
Just got the Jeopardy Travel Edition in the mail. At $10 it was an easy sell for me- at the very least I'm getting new game content.
  • The box does indeed come with 36 cards for each round- so if you play 6 full games, you'll be left with 30 Final Jeopardy cards.
  • As expected, you'll have to keep score using your own resources- nothing in the box for that.
  • The rules suggest that player simply shout out their answer without suggesting any sort of  "ring in".
  • According to the manual, if nobody gets the correct response, the player with the least money selects the next dollar amount.
  • Daily Doubles are designated by a yellow line surrounding the clue.

I'll hold judgement until I see the full and deluxe versions in the flesh, but it would have been nice to see this version's rules made more geared towards being a "travel edition"- most namely having the host perform a category blitz where they just go down the card instead of figuring out which clues are left.It does look like the cards are the same size as what's found in the full versions, so maybe those cards aren't retreads. EDIT: Outset Media's website says that the Travel Edition is supplemental.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2016, 09:40:46 PM »
Have they finally done away with the red overlay and the magic reader?
Travis L. Eberle

pacdude

« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2016, 09:18:46 AM »
Outset Media is sending me a copy of the Deluxe version for review on BuzzerBlog. Expect a full report soon.

Bob Zager

« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2016, 11:07:12 AM »
Just got the Jeopardy Travel Edition in the mail. At $10 it was an easy sell for me- at the very least I'm getting new game content.
  • The box does indeed come with 36 cards for each round- so if you play 6 full games, you'll be left with 30 Final Jeopardy cards.
  • As expected, you'll have to keep score using your own resources- nothing in the box for that.
  • The rules suggest that player simply shout out their answer without suggesting any sort of  "ring in".
  • According to the manual, if nobody gets the correct response, the player with the least money selects the next dollar amount.
  • Daily Doubles are designated by a yellow line surrounding the clue.

I'll hold judgement until I see the full and deluxe versions in the flesh, but it would have been nice to see this version's rules made more geared towards being a "travel edition"- most namely having the host perform a category blitz where they just go down the card instead of figuring out which clues are left.It does look like the cards are the same size as what's found in the full versions, so maybe those cards aren't retreads. EDIT: Outset Media's website says that the Travel Edition is supplemental.

I was able to confirm, through an online retailer, that the regular home edition DOES contain 72 J!, 72 DJ!, and 36 FJ! cards, as my hunch told me.

• I don't really understand why so many FJ! categories are included when you have only so much for regular game play (6 games in travel version, 12 games in regular edition) without repeating a category.
  • So, if a player chooses a clue that has already been used, the host has to let them know it is no longer in play?
  • Do the rules state whether the host chooses which clue will serve as the Daily Double, if more than one is available?

This sounds like a disappointment to me, personally.  I've still haven't found a better home version of J! than the Hasbro/Parker Brothers edition from 1999!  It was 100% faithful to the show!