Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread  (Read 376167 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2016, 01:26:09 AM »
I don't know how long it's been out, but the card game Linkee looks to be a melding of Only Connect and Stage Two, which interests me, but not for Barnes & Noble prices.

Amazon wants $25 for it. I assume B&N are up around $40?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2016, 01:29:04 AM »
No, but they did want $50 for 7 Hours Wonders, which explains why I buy games from Amazon. (B&N also had it for $25, but it's a deck of cards.) Every question is a toss-up, presumably if you answer the question you take all the answers and score a point if you come up with the connection. Absolutely the kind of thing I would have loved for road-trips as a youth, but not at that price.

/They also had a new version of the old Split Second board game, titled Slap.
Travis L. Eberle

Bob Zager

« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »
Disney version.

I don't understand what that is about.
Given the current state of Feud, probably something like this...

"Name a dwarf which describes Snow White in bed."

/Please let Dopey be the number one answer, please let Dopey be the number one answer...

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you meant that, when I thought it was a new general topic version.  I hope it will be out soon, and I won't be surprised if any of the new FF stuff comes out to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the premiere of the original show!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2016, 10:49:38 PM »
Every question is a toss-up, presumably if you answer the question you take all the answers and score a point if you come up with the connection. Absolutely the kind of thing I would have loved for road-trips as a youth, but not at that price.
No points for guessing the answers- the only score you get is for being the first to get the link, and you just earn the letter on the back of that card. First to spell Linkee wins.

The questions themselves aren't tough, but some of the links are. If you want an idea of how the card game works, download the Linkee app.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SamJ93

« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2016, 12:21:18 PM »
/They also had a new version of the old Split Second board game, titled Slap.

Sorry to go OT, but this is something I'd be very interested in. The Split Second game (which has nothing in common with the show, save the name) was always a huge hit when I played with my friends...unfortunately, I accidentally threw it out during a cleaning project. If you happened to catch a glimpse of the back of the box, does it still look like the same plastic rubber-band-loaded contraption, or did they cheapen the materials?
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2016, 11:50:55 PM »
Outset Media posted a pic of the press sheets being reviewed for their upcoming Jeopardy game. If you look at the left part of the press sheet, it looks like there will be separate clue cards for Final Jeopardy.

https://www.facebook.com/OutsetMedia/photos/p.10153853247174403/10153853247174403/?type=3&theater
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Bob Zager

« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2016, 04:18:11 PM »
Outset Media posted a pic of the press sheets being reviewed for their upcoming Jeopardy game. If you look at the left part of the press sheet, it looks like there will be separate clue cards for Final Jeopardy.

https://www.facebook.com/OutsetMedia/photos/p.10153853247174403/10153853247174403/?type=3&theater

One thing that has had me concerned all along, is that Outset Media's design might be very similar to the Tyco versions from the early 1990's.   Either way, I'm glad to see new versions are coming soon!

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2016, 04:52:35 AM »
Sorry to go OT, but this is something I'd be very interested in. The Split Second game (which has nothing in common with the show, save the name) was always a huge hit when I played with my friends...unfortunately, I accidentally threw it out during a cleaning project. If you happened to catch a glimpse of the back of the box, does it still look like the same plastic rubber-band-loaded contraption, or did they cheapen the materials?

A quick look on Amazon shows that it's only 4 players.

https://www.amazon.com/SLAP-Answer-Every-Question-Trivia/dp/B0145YP2B8

Bob Zager

« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »
I saw the Celebrity Name Game box game at Toys R Us earlier today for $19.99.

Whenever I've looked online for the the Disney edition of Family Feud, I pretty much only find one produced and sold in Australia.  Apparently, there is also a TV show based on the Disney themed surveys in Australia.

The Toys R Us clerk I'd seen, mentioned that their database does show a Disney Family Feud game, but no other details as to a price or release date.

Bob Zager

« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2016, 01:18:02 PM »
I've just found out that the Disney Family Feud game is a Toys R Us exclusive!  I found and bought a copy from TRU in my area for $16.99!   The instructions that were included with my game, are apparently copied from the Family Feud game manufactured/sold in Australia (featuring a different logo).

The instructions imply that a dry erase board is included, but it isn't.  Instead there are different pads of printed paper, a set for the main game and a different set for "fast money" rounds.

"Fast Money," is played really different from the show, and other box games.  One member from each team plays at the same time.  When a FM question is read, the team member representing the leading team answers first, and very quickly.  The other team member then gives a different answer.  If either player gives an answer not listed in the survey, they are told to "try again," and he/she gets only one opportunity to change his/her answer.  At the end of FM each team received 3X the total point value of his/her answers, and it is added to the main game total point (Note:  Three rounds, worth 1X, 2X, and 2X).  The team with the larger total is declared the winner.

This link to the Toys R Us website shows a prototype box art:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=88793496&cp=&parentPage=search

EDITED ON 7/26/2016--A posting on amazon.com shows the actual box art, and game contents:

https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Family-Feud-Signature-Game/dp/B01FADOJ7Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1469570282&sr=8-6&keywords=%22family+feud%22
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 06:09:16 PM by Bob Zager »

Bob Zager

« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2016, 12:07:50 PM »
Just saw at the Kmart website that you can now order Outset Media's Jeopardy board game (the regular edition), for $15.99 plus shipping (or free In-store pickup).  Here is a link to the item listing:

http://www.kmart.com/outset-media-games-jeopardy-board-game/p-004W002021167001P?sid=KDx01192011x000001&gclid=COGT6bG9m84CFYGEaQodriYNIQ

As you can see, it is very similar to the Tyco version from the early 90s, but I am not too impressed by some personal observations:

1.  I don't see how you would indicate that a certain clue has been selected, and would then be out of play.

2.  There is apparently no "cricket" snappers or any other type of ring-in device to determine who gets first chance (the "Deluxe" edition," coming later, has extra material, and a "metal ringer."

3.  The box indicates there is 180 cards contained in the game.  Judging from the appearance of the contents, it looks to me like there could be about 36 FJ! cards, 72 J! cards and 72 DJ! cards.  Theoretically, if I am correct in the number of cards per set, there is only enough J! and DJ! material for 12 games, without repeating a single category!  If that is the case, why have three times the number of categories for FJ!  Maybe I'm wrong.

Cosmetically, it looks great!  Play-wise, I'm not so sure!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2016, 02:25:40 PM »
Yeah, that 180 doesn't equal out to an equal number of games. Unless they made a mistake and gave us 60 of each, which would be odd.

Looks good, but yeah, it's missing some basic items you expect in a jeopardy game, which Bob mentioned- for that alone, I'll probably spring for the Deluxe when it comes out.

Really happy to see another company making content like this, and the nice thing is that they seem pretty responsive on their FB page- I would urge you guys to provide some constructive feedback if you end up buying the game in case they decide to release a second edition at some point.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
I dunno, guys. From the way they are cheaping out as opposed to the Tyco version I'm thinking this is a company whose mission statement is "Let's make Endless Games look ritzy." Especially if Bob is right about the card breakdown, because the rule of thumb for a party game is to provide the customer with about 25 games worth of content.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2016, 07:44:28 PM »
I saw the Celebrity Name Game box game at Toys R Us earlier today for $19.99.

Whenever I've looked online for the the Disney edition of Family Feud, I pretty much only find one produced and sold in Australia.  Apparently, there is also a TV show based on the Disney themed surveys in Australia.

The Toys R Us clerk I'd seen, mentioned that their database does show a Disney Family Feud game, but no other details as to a price or release date.
I went to the two closest TRUs--one on Monday, the other this afternoon.  Neither had Celebrity Name Game, but both had Disney Family Feud for $16.99.

A Google search for the Celebrity Name Game game says that a local K-Mart has it in limited numbers.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2016, 11:50:10 AM »
I dunno, guys. From the way they are cheaping out as opposed to the Tyco version I'm thinking this is a company whose mission statement is "Let's make Endless Games look ritzy." Especially if Bob is right about the card breakdown, because the rule of thumb for a party game is to provide the customer with about 25 games worth of content.
I'm not crazy about the amount of content either- it seems they've only accounted for about half the normal amount. The funny thing is- and maybe it's different for games of a certain caliber and depth- customers have shown that they are willing to pay for board games with a quality build. Bona fide Trivial Pursuit games cost upwards of $35- Hell, I just dropped $55 for a board game on Kickstarter.

But it does raise an interesting question- would you guys prefer the Pressman/Hasbro build or the Tyco build for a Jeopardy game?