Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread  (Read 376154 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Re: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
This afternoon, HLN aired some episodes of its new game Keywords!  An app for Keywords! is available at the App Store for IOS devices.  The show is 2 parts Super Password/P+, 1 part TalkAbout.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2015, 03:42:02 PM »
Train of Thought by Tasty Minstrel Games is an odd premise (imagine a Cashword round where one of your clues must be the previous password), but it has lots of words on each card, and it's dirt cheap. I probably won't ever play the game the way they want, but the cards will get used.
Travis L. Eberle

calliaume

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2015, 08:38:23 PM »
My trivia game of choice is Superbuzzer, available as an app on iOS (and, I assume, Android), or you can play it on your computer through Facebook.  It's got bits and pieces of many games mixed together - I can see pieces of Jeopardy, The Big Showdown, Split Second, and even Runaround.

Round 1:  Six contestants, five questions.  Three points for the first correct answer, two points for the second, one point for each correct answer thereafter.  No penalty for incorrect answers.  Highest four scores move on to Round 2.
Round 2:  Four contestants, five questions.  One point for answering each of the first two questions correctly, two points for the third and fourth questions, three points for the fifth question, plus one extra point for the first correct answer.  However, you're penalized the same number of points for incorrect answers.  Highest two scores move on to Round 3.
Round 3:  Two contestants, six questions.  Seven seconds to answer the question; the contestant who gets the correct answer stays with the same amount of "energy" they started with; the other contestant loses energy (depending on how quickly the other contestant answered correct).  No penalty for incorrect answers, no limit to the number of times you can answer, and if both contestants buzz in at the same time and get it right, they both lose energy.  The first contestant to lose all their energy is knocked out; if neither contestant loses all their energy, the one with the most energy after six questions wins.  (It is theoretically possible to have a double knockout, but I've never seen it.)

Winner gets a free game at the next level (there are five levels overall); also everyone gets a free game every 12 hours (but you can't hold more than one game in this manner at a time).

It's fun playing against others, especially overseas contestants.  The bad news is the questions are fairly UK-centric; lots of soccer and Harry Potter.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2015, 12:17:26 PM »
Hasbro just released Trivial Pursuit Live for Xbox One (not sure about PS4)- the game reminds me a lot of Buzz Trivia from PlayStations past. There is no Classic Trivial Pursuit mode- the game takes place in a game show setting, and it's pretty good. You gain wedges by hitting certain point thresholds throughout the game.The rounds are straightforward enough- one round has players select answers finding the highest ranked one, while another has a grid of sixteen answers and can only be described as Free For All Wipeout. The final round has player's earning their final wedges by playing a variant of Dis Or Dat where a wedge is put up for players to vie for- players who miss a question are eliminated from competing for that wedge and the game ends when someone has six.

Pros: Solid mix of difficulty. Anyone can play and feel like they've got a chance to win. Onlne play is intact, and you can play against three computer players if you're alone. A full game may take fifteen minutes tops. Hasbro seems committed with increasing the replay value of their board game video games- Monopoly already received an expansion pack and Risk is set to get one soon. Game only costs $15.

Cons: Games like the Jackbox Party Pack and Buzz set the bar high, but the commentary here is straightforward and bland. If you're going to model your game's look and feel after Buzz, at least get a good host. Game could use more round variants- considering the first and last round are always the same, there are only four others that could pop up. I'm spoiled, but now I feel like all party games should utilize personal devices as controllers.

Overall, a good effort. I still consider YDKJ and Buzz as the gold standard of trivia party games, but this is a solid silver.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Bob Zager

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2015, 12:05:20 PM »
It was announced at last month's Toy Fair in New York, that Pressman will release a fourth edition Wheel of Fortune game sometime this summer!  No other details at this time.

Prizes

• Both a miner and a hoe
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2015, 12:43:59 PM »
It was announced at last month's Toy Fair in New York, that Pressman will release a fourth edition Wheel of Fortune game sometime this summer!  No other details at this time.

Letter response from Pressman:

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry. Yes, we are very excited about our new Wheel of Fortune game as well! It is still in development, but the tentative new date for release to stores is in Summer 2015.

Keep an eye out! :)

Thanks again,
Julie Doverspike
Pressman Customer Service

Maybe it will have Express, given its development dates? Looking forward to buying it though, regardless.
Owner of WOF fan site buyavowel.boards.net
Didn't like scuba diving school. Too many fights.
~Jessica Brand

JakeT

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2015, 01:42:18 PM »
My trivia game of choice is Superbuzzer, available as an app on iOS (and, I assume, Android), or you can play it on your computer through Facebook.  It's got bits and pieces of many games mixed together - I can see pieces of Jeopardy, The Big Showdown, Split Second, and even Runaround.

It's fun playing against others, especially overseas contestants.  The bad news is the questions are fairly UK-centric; lots of soccer and Harry Potter.

I love Superbuzzer!  Best part is that you can invite FB friends to play live games with you!

JakeT

Bob Zager

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2015, 06:30:41 PM »
Though I have not seen any copies in stores yet, Hasbro Games is releasing a new board game based on the new "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader," series!  Click the following link to see a review of it:

http://ttpm.com/p/14653/hasbro/are-you-smarter-than-a-5th-grader-game/

Soon, Pressman will be releasing a new fourth edition of "Wheel of Fortune."  In the meantime check out this cute coin bank based on the slot machine:

http://www.amazon.com/Miniature-Wheel-Fortune-Slot-Machine/dp/B00YSPWUUG/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1434407386&sr=1-1&keywords=wheel+of+fortune+slots

narzo

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2015, 02:27:27 PM »
New in the UK and, I'm happy to say, the USA iTunes store is "Deal or No Deal - Noel's Quiz".

Now I downloaded this, expecting to dislike it, since it was taking the basic 22 box, 250,000 pound top prize game and adding a quiz.  What I got was a game which is an improvement over the basic "pick a box, and another, and another" game they had previously released. 

Now it's a free download in each store, but it uses the dreaded "coins" as a dangle to help you improve your game.  You'll quickly use them all and be forced to buy more.  I've played 5 games and yet to use a single coin, and I'm enjoying it just fine.

The rules are select a box, no change there, and then answer a series of questions.  First off, the questions are all over the board in difficulty so it's actually a quiz which will keep you interested.  After a series of questions you'll be rewarded with helps, based on how many you answered.  There are help like "reveal a read", "peek in a box", "ask for the banker to call" and others.  You open boxes, and know how the rest of that works.  After you "deal or no deal" you get taken to more questions.

It really is quite enjoyable, the graphics are nice, Noel's voice is used, I highly recommend it.  Especially, since it's free.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deal-or-no-deal-noels-quiz/id945704196?mt=8

narzo

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2015, 03:06:39 PM »
for the UK and the USA there is a new game called "Catch Phrase 2015" in which you take Mr. Chips on an adventure solving catch phrases.  If you need help, there are "diamonds" you can spend. 

While not following the rules of the show, it's a harmless enough way to enjoy some time solving catch phrases with the sound effects, music and Mr. Chips. 

Links for the USA, but in UK iTunes as well

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/catchphrase-2015/id959007235?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tv.cube.newcp

JakeT

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2015, 04:03:56 PM »
for the UK and the USA there is a new game called "Catch Phrase 2015" in which you take Mr. Chips on an adventure solving catch phrases.  If you need help, there are "diamonds" you can spend. 

While not following the rules of the show, it's a harmless enough way to enjoy some time solving catch phrases with the sound effects, music and Mr. Chips. 

Just installed it!  Will try it later!  Thanks for the heads up!

JakeT

Bob Zager

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2015, 11:00:14 AM »
Here is a link to a new item:

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Feud-92202-Trivia-Card/dp/B011IHMX1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439045552&sr=8-1&keywords=family+feud+cardinal+industries

Though not much detail is given, I saw a picture of the other sides of packaging (on eBay), and it appears to be just like Endless Games' "Strikeout Card Game" from a few years ago!

Some sources are saying that in the next few weeks, Pressman's new Wheel of Fortune game should be available!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2015, 10:15:25 PM »
Some sources are saying that in the next few weeks, Pressman's new Wheel of Fortune game should be available!
Is this supposed to be a total redesign, or is this just a new coat of paint? After all, Pressman's all about that backwards compatibility.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Thunder

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2015, 11:59:16 PM »
I don't think there's anything game show related here, but you folks can look at this photo and see if there's anything worthwhile on these shelves.

This is from the nearby "classic toys" store, and they sell most of their stuff at relatively low prices as compared to collectors' values. I got ten Hot Wheels cars from 1980 new in the packaging for $1 each this weekend.