Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread  (Read 374838 times)

chad1m

Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« on: January 02, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »
Since we're on a fresh board now, I thought I would create a fresh thread to discuss the release of home/board/video/handheld/digital versions of our favorite game shows.

If you've got Amazon credit burning a hole in your pocket from Christmas, they have a huge discount on the "Classic Pack" of You Don't Know Jack. Nine of the older PC games designed to work on new computers as a digital download for FIVE bucks. The package is also available on Steam, but there is no discount there.

SamJ93

Re: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
I'm in the process of downloading and playing them now.  Great nostalgia trip for an incredibly cheap price.  Though is it just me, or is a lot of the music in V1 different from the original game?
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:39:34 PM »
Sports Jeopardy is available in the App Store for 99 cents.

EDIT: Had a chance to play it, and here's my good and bad-

GOOD:
-The entire presentation is nice.
-The game moves fast.
-The questions are challenging.
-Unlike Jeopardy games in recent memory, you can type in your answers.
-Your end of game score is multiplied (for Achieve,net purposes only) and really gives you a nice boost should you make the game harder in any number of ways.

BAD:
-It's still a little buggy, but it matters a lot because it keeps you from actually playing the game. Although I was connected to the Internet, the game consistently game me "no connection" errors that slowed my progress through the menus. It took six times for me to get into the game.
-There are in game power ups- not really my cup of tea for a game like Jeopardy, but it's a specialized version and I'm sure it'll bring more people into the fold.

All in all, a pretty good effort. I wouldn't mind if they updated the two/three year old regular version with this format.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:51:38 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

pacdude

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »
Sports Jeopardy is available in the App Store for 99 cents.

They've released an update to patch a lot of those bugs; indeed, I can actually open and play without having to quit and restart the app.

Here's some gameplay that's currently processing. Apologies about the audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Og3EqtVvnY

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 06:02:45 PM »
It isn't a game show, but Endless Games's Oddly Obvious is as close as you're going to get to TV Scrabble these days. It arrived in the mail yesterday and we played it to rave reviews from nearly all participants. Recommended if you're into that sort of thing.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 12:10:54 AM »
It being an Endless product: how's the production quality?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 01:56:52 PM »
It being an Endless product: how's the production quality?
Decent; you get the answer cards, point tokens, a little stand so everyone can read what they have to, and a box to put it all.
Travis L. Eberle

WhammyPower

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 02:29:13 PM »
It actually seems more like Now You See It than anything.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 02:31:59 PM »
Having played it I can see how you'd come to that conclusion, but I think Scrabble is the easier sell. NYSI didn't go with the "clever clues" as stock in trade.
Travis L. Eberle

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »
The folks over at Endemol have released a Pointless App for iOS that is, surprisingly, available in America for $1.99. It's pretty straight forward with its front game as it pits you head to head with one other person not three. You can play with friends however, though I haven't done so yet.

Only complaint so far is that the jackpot doesn't grow if you don't win the bonus round.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 09:52:26 PM »
Seen at WalMart tonight:  The Hollywood Game Night home game.  It appears that 5 different games are in the box.  $17.99, from Cardinal Games.  A cute disclaimer I saw on the back of the box:  "Jane Lynch & celebrity guests not included"  I thought about getting it, then I remembered I'm on home game overload as of late, having ordered 3 games from Amazon.co.uk this week and receiving The Chase (UK) game from the same site on Monday.

Bob Zager

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »
Seen at WalMart tonight:  The Hollywood Game Night home game.  It appears that 5 different games are in the box.  $17.99, from Cardinal Games.  A cute disclaimer I saw on the back of the box:  "Jane Lynch & celebrity guests not included"  I thought about getting it, then I remembered I'm on home game overload as of late, having ordered 3 games from Amazon.co.uk this week and receiving The Chase (UK) game from the same site on Monday.

Here is a link to a YouTube video about the "Party" game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ2RYbsU97Q

And now, here is a link to the website ToyDirectory, showing a still photo of yet another HGN home game, which the manufacturer (TDC Games), calls the "Official and Complete home version."  Below the description at that site, is also a video from TDC Games, apparently taped at last month's Toy Fair in New York:

http://www.toydirectory.com/monthly/new_product.asp?id=36549

You'll notice in the still photo that there is a total of eight games, only one "buzzer," and that the game's board is only about one-fourth the size of the one featured in the video.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 05:41:50 PM »
If you have access to the UK App Store, the awesome ITV game show Tipping Point now has its own app...and it's well done.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 01:05:47 AM »
Jackbox Games, the maker of You Don't Know Jack, has a new game out called Fibbage, and it looks to only be available for the Amazon Fire TV. Players use their smartphones as controllers and fill in the blanks to statements with correct answers- or they can choose a bluff answer and rack up points by having other players pick their bluff answer. It's like the "fill in the blank" from Match Game meets the trivia bluff from Hollywood Squares

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMfARsNf9VY
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 01:11:42 AM »
Sounds like Balderdash.
Travis L. Eberle