Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread  (Read 380491 times)

Hastin

Re: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« Reply #795 on: December 21, 2021, 12:53:36 PM »
For those of us who have Amazon devices and play the J!6 clues every day, there’s been a slight change. Although the clues were read by Alexa, Alex Trebek’s voice was still featured in some capacity even after his passing. This week, they updated the J!6 skill and Mayim Bialik is now performing those roles.

Same for Hey Google as well.

Picked up the WWTBAM board game. Question sets are solid, but it's a 12-step money ladder. With the way the cards are setup, it's pretty easy to play alone (forgiving the Ask the Host lifeline), and there's bonus questions if you scan a QR code on the instruction manual.

Was pretty disappointed with the "virtual lifelines" - basically the only data not on the card it's giving you is an Ask the Audience graph. I was really hoping for Ask the Host or Phone a Friend audio - or any audio at all. When you select PAF - it literally says "Call someone or ask someone not playing the game on their answer". Given how important music is to the WWTBAM experience, it would seem like a no-brainer to license the music and do some sort of soundboard like the Gamestar+ games.
-Hastin :)

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #796 on: December 21, 2021, 10:48:19 PM »
Don’t know if this is the right place for it but don’t wanna start another topic either…

For those of us who have Amazon devices and play the J!6 clues every day, there’s been a slight change. Although the clues were read by Alexa, Alex Trebek’s voice was still featured in some capacity even after his passing. This week, they updated the J!6 skill and Mayim Bialik is now performing those roles.
I know time marches on and all, but I was sad to see this change. It was nice still being able to hear Alex’s voice in some capacity.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #797 on: December 22, 2021, 12:23:52 AM »
If you play J!6 through the website, you can still hear Alex.

BrandonFG

« Reply #798 on: January 13, 2022, 01:14:49 PM »
Being we're all game show nerds, I'm sure you've seen a bunch of Facebook recaps of the Wordle game, which is basically Lingo minus the bingo. The site allows you to play a new word once or twice a day.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 03:34:42 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Bob Zager

« Reply #799 on: January 13, 2022, 03:13:41 PM »
Unfortunately, the Annual Toy Fair in NYC, originally declared a go for February19-22, was cancelled this week, due to the upsurge in Covid.  So, no early unveilings of new toys and games this year.  I won't be surprised, if Pressman retains the licensing rights to WOF, if they release new versions of that in honor of it's 40th anniversary year, starting this fall.  2022 also marks Pressman's 100th anniversary.  Their first game show related game was '"Groucho TV Quiz" game, in 1954.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #800 on: January 21, 2022, 04:43:50 AM »
My buddy Cory and I are actively working on translating Lingo for the Nintendo DS, which was only released in the Netherlands in 2011 and uses GSN Woolery season 1 graphics and SFX. Currently focusing on the game material and replacing the 40,000+ word Dutch game dictionary with English words. Should be done this weekend. Will share download info when ready.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

narzo

« Reply #801 on: January 21, 2022, 08:00:32 PM »
The UK "Lingo" mobile app is now available in the USA, which is very smart timing considering the popularity of a certain Lingo rip-off.  It's Lingo as you know it, but with a choice of 4, 5, or 6 letter words.  If you solve the word, you get bingo balls (you don't get to pick yourself) for your card.  Like most cell phone "game show" apps today, it's played for stars and treasure chests so just lots of little hooks to keep you playing.  The game is ad heavy, so be prepared.  I found it in the Apple store just by searching "lingo", don't know about android. 

Sodboy13

« Reply #802 on: January 21, 2022, 08:56:47 PM »
Strange that the official app has the bingo element when the UK game show doesn't. It is available on Google Play.

I've also had a free Lingo app for a while that offers 5, 6, and 7-letter words. No bingo element, though, which is a part of the game I genuinely like.

The best solitaire Lingo game I've played remains the one I had an eternity ago on my Handspring Visor.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

nowhammies10

« Reply #803 on: January 21, 2022, 09:03:40 PM »
I still bust out Jason Wuthrich's old Lingo software from time to time. Works flawlessly even on 64-bit Windows 10.

Sodboy13

« Reply #804 on: January 21, 2022, 11:35:50 PM »
That's who made it! I was playing it last weekend and could not remember for the life of me.

The official UK Lingo app has everything bad about modern mobile gaming crammed into one package that really sucks down my battery. I'll have my fun with it for now, but I can already tell I'm about a week or two away from it just becoming thankless grinding.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #805 on: January 24, 2022, 01:47:26 PM »
The best solitaire Lingo game I've played remains the one I had an eternity ago on my Handspring Visor.
Years ago when Amazon envisioned the e-ink Kindles moving past just being used for reading, they had a games store that had a fun official Lingo app from GSN.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Bob Zager

« Reply #806 on: February 28, 2022, 11:18:00 AM »
Certainly no surprise that more Family Feud merchandise is due out this year.  The first new products I've found can be ordered online, and shipped to select Target stores in your area.  This version plays a lot like the DVD game versions, only there is no DVD--you need the "streaming app," to play.  Apparently, according to the box bottom, it includes bonus "Survey Says" cards, but no detail about them (probably for "Fast Money," play, or manual play without the app).  When you click the link below, you can even play a video demonstating the game:

https://www.target.com/p/family-feud-gamestar-steve-harvey-game/-/A-84738650#lnk=sametab

Edited 3/1/22:  When I first stumbled across the link mentioned above, I didn't notice that I was referencing ONE particular store in my area that did not have the item, but was allowing online order for store pickup.  After my original post, I found and bought a copy at a different Target store in my area.  The bonus cards are packed like the usual "Strikeout Card game" but the packaging for it indicates that they're not to be sold separately.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 11:03:10 AM by Bob Zager »

BillCullen1

« Reply #807 on: March 04, 2022, 01:52:39 PM »
Trying to find the 25 Words or Less game with Meredith's picture on the box. That is one hard game to find.

Update - found it in a store for a reasonable $15. I grabbed it.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #808 on: March 08, 2022, 04:06:21 PM »
FYI: The Supermarket Sweep home game is in stock on Amazon, after not being available since before the holidays.

Sodboy13

« Reply #809 on: March 08, 2022, 08:30:58 PM »
FYI: The Supermarket Sweep home game is in stock on Amazon, after not being available since before the holidays.
Also on the shelf at Barnes & Noble.