Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread  (Read 376395 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Re: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« Reply #660 on: October 01, 2020, 01:28:24 AM »
Outside of the deluxe versions of Wheel, I wonder what the cost differential would be to provide more than one wheel for different rounds, or a spinner on a clear plastic sheet/base so to speak that could overlay different round wheel configurations.  I mean, does then mass public care about the wheel layouts or just the game show enthusiasts?

The general public doesn't care that much, because you also have to consider the lifespan of the game itself. Just about every game show home game I've bought second hand has unused game material. If the general public is going to play the game 3-6 times tops, then let the game gather dust on the shelf, it wouldn't make sense for the manufacturer to go out of their way to do that.

That being said, considering the anticlimactic nature of the spinner in a Wheel game, I wouldn't mind seeing that piece get appified.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Flerbert419

« Reply #661 on: October 01, 2020, 07:24:20 AM »
Word is that the next Wheel home versions will include the new white handles so you can experience the show at home just like the real contestants.

RyanCDN

« Reply #662 on: October 01, 2020, 10:48:33 AM »

That being said, considering the anticlimactic nature of the spinner in a Wheel game, I wouldn't mind seeing that piece get appified.

I do not want to stray to far off topic, but interesting point.  I certainly see the possibilities of an app for this or many games.  My concern, as a player and collector is playability down the road.  As many apps become obsolete, without a physical spinner if the anything should happen to the app, the main part of the game becomes a “missing part”.
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

JMFabiano

« Reply #663 on: October 01, 2020, 11:15:14 AM »
Word is that the next Wheel home versions will include the new white handles so you can experience the show at home just like the real contestants.

You can get said handles at a drug store too. 

/Ribbed.  For the wheel's pleasure. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #664 on: October 01, 2020, 12:43:06 PM »
Outside of the deluxe versions of Wheel, I wonder what the cost differential would be to provide more than one wheel for different rounds, or a spinner on a clear plastic sheet/base so to speak that could overlay different round wheel configurations.  I mean, does then mass public care about the wheel layouts or just the game show enthusiasts?

The actual show hasn't had multiple wheel layouts for 24 years, just rearranging the deck chairs the cardboard.

Bob Zager

« Reply #665 on: October 03, 2020, 09:49:56 PM »
Here at the familyfeud.com site they show an update "platinum," edition and a really nice "retro" edition:

https://www.familyfeud.com/shop_play/board-game/

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #666 on: October 03, 2020, 11:58:11 PM »
You can get said handles at a drug store too.
You joke, but based on this post which pinned down what the White Thing is (a telescoping vinyl grip for pool poles), you may actually be right, as here in Florida I've seen pool-related stuff sold at drug stores in the past.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Bob Zager

« Reply #667 on: October 08, 2020, 06:55:01 PM »
This week I found the Mini WOF Bingo game at Five below for $5!

Edited 10/09/20:

I also found the WOF 5th edition from Pressman at Meijer for $19.99.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:24:07 PM by Bob Zager »

BillCullen1

« Reply #668 on: October 10, 2020, 07:31:56 PM »
Went to B&N today and picked up the travel edition of Jeopardy and the deluxe edition of Password (blue box). I also saw the current editions of Card Sharks and Pyramid, both with their respective hosts on the cover. Card Sharks looks interesting. After reading the contents for Pyramid, I remembered why I didn't buy it. Just 10 games. Hell, the MB versions from the 70s had 50 games each.

Hastin

« Reply #669 on: October 11, 2020, 09:54:41 AM »
After reading the contents for Pyramid, I remembered why I didn't buy it. Just 10 games.

Remember when Pressman said that new printings would have more games? They even told an Amazon reviewer back in December there would be more games: https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx152Z5RYX5UOW7/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza
-Hastin :)

Bob Zager

« Reply #670 on: October 11, 2020, 10:30:07 AM »

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #671 on: October 11, 2020, 12:58:17 PM »
Quote from: Press Your Luck board game description
plus download the free Press Your Luck Appcessory

I really hope that doesn't enter common parlance.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #672 on: October 12, 2020, 10:48:24 PM »
Quote from: Press Your Luck board game description
plus download the free Press Your Luck Appcessory
I really hope that doesn't enter common parlance.

I will send you an evite to my webinar about this subject.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Hastin

« Reply #673 on: October 13, 2020, 07:40:56 AM »
Speaking of appcessories, the same GameStar+ app also has an entry for Wheel of Fortune (maybe a digital wheel as talked about above?) and Jeopardy! listed as "Coming Soon".
-Hastin :)

Sodboy13

« Reply #674 on: October 13, 2020, 12:43:08 PM »
Regarding the "appcessory":

1. I can't believe I can just download it and play it with no proof of purchase. I figured there would be a QR code inside each box or something that would activate access. $25 gets you a plush Whammy and a couple dozen question cards and, I'm assuming, a score pad, because

2. The app is literally just the board. No scorekeeping, no spin-keeping, no Whammy-keeping. Just spinning and stopping.

3. The app has three rounds: Two like the current show, and a third where the Big Bucks square is $25K/$25K/$25K+Spin. So if you were looking to play the show as it's currently built, you can't.

4. The board simply does not work. The values change on every move of the square, which, fine, it's more random, whatever. But when you hit the Stop button, the board does not stop in the spot you hit; rather, it just picks any random square on the board and decides that's what you get.

5. After about 5 minutes of play with my boys, the board has some obvious glitches. There is a $4,500 square in Round 2 that comes up as a Whammy when you "land" on it. Sometimes you hit a Whammy and nothing happens.

6. There is no rotation of prizes, nor is there any art for the prize squares. Instead, it's "$25,000 SPORTS CAR" or "$20,000 FAMILY CAR," or about four others.

7. The Whammy animations are in full, right from the show. They repeat very quickly. Might be about a dozen of them.

I remain amazed that one person was able to do 20 years ago, in his spare time for free, what no software company has been able to do since.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation