Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread  (Read 374815 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2014, 12:04:39 AM »
Was there ever a version of Balderdash in box game form that did what Fibbage does?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2014, 12:16:45 AM »
Was there ever a version of Balderdash in box game form that did what Fibbage does?

Kind of a vague question, isn't it? What "does Fibbage do"?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2014, 12:38:47 AM »
So YDKJ uses the browser-as-controller conceit, too? I would have severe problems with the potential for latency.

Can you quickly run down what the three games that aren't Jack and Fibbage are? I'm not familiar with any of them and we were discussing this at work this morning...
FYI, We've been playing for a couple days with no latency problems.

Lie Swatter has three rounds. In the first two rounds, you're presented with seven categories, each with a different weird fact. All players choose whether each fact is a lie or a true statement, with bonus points going to the fastest correct answer. Round three pulls facts all from the same category. Each personal device shows your score and current rank, which would be very useful in a game with a ton of players. Each game takes five minutes, tops.

Drawful is Pictionary meets Fibbage. Each player gets to draw an item at the top of the round(the game assigns one to each player), and the computer goes through them one by one. All players want to write what they think the drawing is, and hope that the other players pick their answer. The drawing assignments can get really random (in one video, someone got Walrus Man). Probably the most fun of the new games.

Word Spud has the weakest format. The game goes down the line to give each player a chance to add to what may become an absurd chain. So if it starts with "devil", you might complete it with "devil's food cake". All the other players vote on whether or not they like your answer. You score if your yes's outweigh your no's (so if you get four yes votes and two no votes, you get two points). Positive scoring plays means the next person adds to the chain (in this case, with a word starting with cake). Neutral and negative scoring plays mean you start over with a brand new word. It's weak because technically, players can sabotage the game by voting no every single time, so you need the right people to play with.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2014, 01:08:09 AM »
Kind of a vague question, isn't it?
I didn't think so?

Is there a Balderdash version out that gives you the trivia question and has you fill in the blank like Apples to Apples or Dixit?
Travis L. Eberle

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 11:51:53 PM »
I saw Hollywood Game Night for eight bucks at a local department store and scooped it up. The game consists of cards for Take a Hint, I Love a Charade, How Do You Doo?, TV ID and Celebrity Name Game. I used the Take a Hint cards to play Go! today, to the delight of all assembled.
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2014, 04:08:24 PM »
I don't get invited to those types of parties.

/(h/t Douglas Adams)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 09:52:17 PM »
Forgot to mention: in10sity, which plays a little like Judge the Jury from Mindreaders (you score mucho points for a correct answer and fewer points for being off by one--all the answers to the trivia questions are integers from 1 to 10), and Trivial Pursuit: Team, which has rounds similar to The Rich List, Hot Potato, Duel, and three others. Both are recommended but they've been out of print nearly ten years, so aerobic with care if you buy them.
Travis L. Eberle

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2014, 09:24:05 AM »
Five Below has a bare bones model of Hollywood Game Night for five bucks, which I picked up. Seems Cardinal released several of their more recent board games in a "no frills" form, and you'll find them there.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2014, 12:12:15 PM »
Seems Cardinal released several of their more recent board games in a "no frills" form

Endless should think about doing that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

narzo

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 04:52:23 AM »
"Blockbusters" has hit the UK iTunes store:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/blockbusters-official-gameshow/id926322994?mt=8

it plays true to form the show we know an love in the USA, but with the British scoring system.  Advise you to read the answers as the question is being typed out (if you're playing against the computer opponent) as you have to hit your choice of the 4 answers as your "buzzer".  If you read the question and then search, you'll never beat the computer. 

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 06:28:13 AM by narzo »

pacdude

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2014, 10:10:08 AM »
And some time with the Blockbusters game shows that the main game is too easy, with the multiple choice questions, and the Gold Run is too hard, with seemingly no spelling leniency or spelling variations.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 04:49:25 PM »
Check out QuizCross on Android or iOS. My first thought was "It's Tic Tac Dough with the ability to steal boxes", but it's kinda not. Anyway, with all of the trivia buffs on this site, I'm sure some of you will enjoy it.

Pick a category box, and answer three multiple choices on the category. If you clean sweep, you earn the box. If you get one or two right, the box is still yours, but your opponent can swoop in and steal the box by outperforming you on the same questions.

The questions are written better than what I've seen on Trivia Crack, if that makes any difference.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:07:24 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

dale_grass

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2014, 05:58:29 PM »
Check out QuizCross on Android or iOS... The questions are written better than what I've seen on Trivia Crack, if that makes any difference.

That's encouraging.  I'm gonna check it out this evening.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2014, 06:09:14 PM »
And therein lies the blessing and curse of crowdsourced trivia- it's great to see that so many people want to get involved, but it also leads to bland, one line questions like "In what year was MLK murdered?". When it comes to trivia, I'll pay for quality question packs rather than have a free game with tons of shallow material.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2014, 05:21:57 PM »
Just for kicks, I submitted this question to Trivia Crack yesterday:

"Which of the following game show hosts has never hosted 'Wheel of Fortune?'"

• Wink Martindale
  • Bob Goen
  • Alex Trebek
  • Chuck Woolery
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983