Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Ideas of Game Show Revivals  (Read 11451 times)

BrandonFG

Your Ideas of Game Show Revivals
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 10:01:18 AM »

If I was gonna do a Sale revival I\'d take the best of what worked from various series.

I\'d keep the 80s format in regards to show pacing.

I\'d replace the Instant Cash with the Cashcards from the Aussie version.

As far as the Fame Game rounds went, I\'d do a toss up between the 80s game and Temptation, and whichever side was landed on was the one I\'d use. I really wasn\'t too bothered with the way Temptation did it.

I\'d keep the speed round at 60 seconds but keep the higher stakes Temptation introduced.

This one I know a lot of people aren\'t necessarily fond of but I think the score money should be treated in a different manner- call them shopping dollars or something and if/when you lose each is equivalent to $5 in actual dollars- that way if someone was building to the big payday and lost, they\'d get a nice chunk of change of a couple thousand bucks or so on top of everything else.

I\'d keep the Temptation shopping round with the Knock-off game, and not limit you to five appearances like they did. I\'d also add the all the prizes on stage and cash levels that the syndie Sale did but I\'d cap it at a round number like $100,000 instead of a growing jackpot.

I did like the Knockoff game as a way to build your bank, but yes, I hated the limit of five appearances. I thought the prize selection was decent enough, although they went from a Jaguar in week one, to a Prius at midseason. ;-P

I\'d have to watch another episode, but what left such a sour taste with me was that it was so half-baked and rushed. You had an excellent Australian template, then watered it down. I could\'ve forgiven the ripping off other shows (i.e. Tomarken\'s Wipeout) and maybe the mini-speed rounds, but I think a straight-forward Q&A would\'ve been just fine (i.e. the 5 questions, Instant Bargain, another couple of questions, Fame Game). Ditch the appealing to Lifetime housewives, and make it a trivia game with shopping.

All in all, it was just all over the place. No structure whatsoever.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 12:34:04 PM »
I agree that the structure was lacking. The switch in subject matter wasn\'t as much of an issue for me though.

My biggest issue gameplay wise is the over reliance on the speed round. It\'s perfectly fine to do a quick one- and considering the Aussie version had one I\'d say it\'s proven to work- and I think the \"this or that\" round was probably the best idea they worked with. But the operative word is ONE! Not multiple.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 12:39:51 PM »

While I\'m sure this idea is most likely headed toward the Realm of Not Gonna Happen, I\'d like to see a Sale of the Century revival with an endgame combining The Sale with Temptation(AUS)\'s prize structure, using the Big Money Game as a means of building up the cash jackpot.

I\'ve been a proponent of that for a few years now.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 01:40:45 PM »

Might I add, if removing the five-day limit, I agree with adding a cash jackpot (say $50,000*) as a step after the car, then the option to buy the entire lot. The five-day limit provided the potential for Really Awful Television if the car is $420, and the contestant ends his or her fifth and final Knock Out game with $415.

/Enjoy your diamond necklace for $365, chump!

*//Indifferent to it escalating...50-large would be fine with me

///75K?

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chops

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 05:01:52 PM »

Speaking of Tomarken\'s Wipeout, there are only a handful of things that I would change if I somehow had the power to bring it back.

The name would obviously have to go.  It would save a lot of explaining as to why there aren\'t any funky obstacles.  My suggestion would be Busted, but we can let the focus groups hash it out.

I\'d also ditch the Hot Spot, since trips are more the realm of Price and Wheel these days.  Instead, I\'d replace it with a Shield, which acts as an insurance marker against a wrong answer.  If the winner has the Shield at the end of the game, it can be carried into the revamped bonus round.

Instead of rewarding speed, my version of the bonus round (for Added Alliterative Appeal, you could call it the Busted Bonus Board) would require the contestant to pick the six correct answers, one at a time, from the same 12-answer board as the original bonus round, using a money tree of $1K/2K/5K/10K/25K/100K.  Contestants would have the option to stop after every correct answer. 

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »

I\'d also ditch the Hot Spot, since trips are more the realm of Price and Wheel these days.

So game shows that give away trips are the only ones that can give away trips? Er?
Travis L. Eberle

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »

Might I add, if removing the five-day limit, I agree with adding a cash jackpot (say $50,000*) as a step after the car, then the option to buy the entire lot. The five-day limit provided the potential for Really Awful Television if the car is $420, and the contestant ends his or her fifth and final Knock Out game with $415.

I\'m the first in the parade to say that more money doesn\'t make a game good, but here\'s the corollary: if the game is one of high class and glamorous prizes you can\'t get away with cheaping out on the prize budget. The reason that nights six, seven and eight are so exciting is because the champion is making bets of increasing size as to whether he can win again. On night seven it\'s a double-or-nothing proposition; bet $400k (if you\'ve won the money minute every time) against $800,000 and all the prizes. Temptation: Murica! never got close to anything that exciting.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »

Not a revival per se, but I think that the Body Language format would make a great mini game for Hollywood Game Night.

I\'d love to see a You Don\'t Know Jack revival on Comedy Central, but with gameplay more akin to the actual game. The only issue would be finding someone who\'s enough of a smartass who doesn\'t rub you the wrong way to host it (kinda like Jimmy Kimmel on WBSM).

Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

chops

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 08:08:25 PM »

I\'d also ditch the Hot Spot, since trips are more the realm of Price and Wheel these days.

So game shows that give away trips are the only ones that can give away trips? Er?

Why give away a trip (which people can decline due to tax reasons) when you can stick with cash while adding a new wrinkle to the game?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »
I always thought having the cash jackpot as one of the prizes made for bad TV because you had all these prizes on stage worth well over a hundred grand when combined with the cash but it never seemed to matter because you only saw someone go all the way one time. Outside of the $109,000 pot win, how many players who elected to buy the jackpot won more than $100K?

That\'s one thing I thought the syndie version got right. Save it until the very end, where it becomes the bonus it\'s intended to be and not the afterthought the daytime series made it (if you really can call winning over $60,000 in cash that).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »

Why give away a trip (which people can decline due to tax reasons) when you can stick with cash while adding a new wrinkle to the game?

A wrinkle, mind you, that increases the prize budget at least fivefold.

Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 09:00:32 PM »

You get plug money for the sponsor read, and trips are less expensive than the equivalent amount of cash. Really that\'s true of any prize.
Travis L. Eberle