Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FF Thanksgiving Marathon 11/28  (Read 14957 times)

chad1m

FF Thanksgiving Marathon 11/28
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »

I get that you\'re averse to offering criticism to anyone or anything in the game show sphere, but I assure you that if there\'s anything that deserves to be called awful, it is Louie Anderson\'s performance on Feud.

Swipe ignored, my opinions and views in 2002 are not necessarily the same as they are in 2013 and I can imagine a lot of other people might have similar stances. What\'s wrong with taking a fresh look at something from the past, no matter where it comes from?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »

What\'s wrong with taking a fresh look at something from the past, no matter where it comes from?

Because the Louie Anderson of 1992 and the Louie Anderson of 2012 are the SAME ANNOYING PERSON. As such I\'m pretty sure I\'m not gonna be any less annoyed by the Louie Anderson of 2002.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 04:36:07 PM »

What\'s wrong with taking a fresh look at something from the past, no matter where it comes from?

Because the Louie Anderson of 1992 and the Louie Anderson of 2012 are the SAME ANNOYING PERSON. As such I\'m pretty sure I\'m not gonna be any less annoyed by the Louie Anderson of 2002.

I will interject to say I did like Life With Louie from the mid-90s. :-P

Again, I\'ll try and watch an ep. tonight, even if just a round. He could pleasantly surprise me, or he could be just as mumbly as he was 12 years ago.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 06:08:15 PM »

Swipe ignored,

Ignore it all you want, I contend that it is less a swipe than demonstrable fact.

I dislike crap. There\'s far too much good content out there to waste my time.

How many times do I have to watch Set for Life, Merv\'s Crosswords or The Moment of Truth to reinforce what I already believed? Dill Pickle Ripple is going to be as bad an idea for an ice cream flavor today as it was 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago.

Now, if Brandon wants to watch, he should do so. I hope he derives a whole bunch of enjoyment out of it. But please don\'t come here telling us to just \"give crap a chance\" without something more than \"Maybe your views changed in 10 years, watch to find out.\"
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »

The What\'s My Line? episode are not recently just found, just never before seen on GSN.

I actually meant to have this on the other thread. Oops

As always, I am confused by your comments.  The WML? episodes aren\'t listed as being \"new\", only the IGAS episodes are.  There\'s also no evidence on the PDFs to support your claim that the episodes were \"not recently just found\", so this appears to be something you\'re just making up.  Again.

My mistake. I meant some I\'ve Got a Secret episodes are \"New to GSN\" and highly doubt they were found in a closet just now. They\'ve been seen on TV before, 50 years ago, but never on GSN (for these select episodes)

Well, no, if you read my message earlier in the same post you copied, you\'ll see that those IGAS episodes are not, in fact, \"new to GSN\".  I realize that would require you to pay attention, but it sure would be swell if you tried.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 09:01:14 PM »
I just watched the first segment of a season 3 episode (Louie\'s final season). He\'s just as mediocre as I remembered...had a good one-liner or two, but mostly mumbled, sounded disinterested, and as I remembered, tried to toss to break with a dumb comment based on an answer on the board...he\'d then grumble \"Feud!\"

To his credit, one of the contestants said he got nervous when Louie came to him for an answer, to which Louie had another family member come around the desk and ask the question. A rare occasion when Louie actually made a decent ad-lib.

As for the show, it\'s refreshing to watch an episode from an era where the audience didn\'t cheer over every single thing, and the questions weren\'t front-loaded for the contestants to say \"penis\". Although...I damn near turned the episode off when Burton Richardson wouldn\'t stop yelling at me during the intro.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:10:13 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 09:09:50 PM »
To me watching Louie host Feud was equivalent to leaving a jack o\' lantern on your front steps. Not bad at first, but the longer it\'s out there the more it starts to decay until you\'re eventually left with a rotten pile that smells like cowflop.

Watching his replacement was like taking the rotting jack o\' lantern that smelled like cowflop and replacing it with literal cowflop.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 09:58:05 PM »

Here\'s what I see per GameShowFollies:

12/19: WML? is \'R\'; I\'ve Got a Secret is \'N\' (New to GSN)

12/20: WML? is \'R\'; I\'ve Got a Secret is \'N\' (New to GSN)

Yes, but my point is what you apparently didn\'t see:

Unfortunately, this appears to be a mistake.  The two I\'ve Got a Secret episodes that are identified as \"new\" are Bristol-Myers sponsored episodes that have aired on GSN.  Clips from each show are available on YouTube with the GSN logo on display.

If you would like me to link tho the episodes I\'m talking about, I could very easily.  However, I think it\'s fair to say that my reputation here is a little bit better than yours.

Also, since you\'re dragging Game Show Follies into this, let\'s be clear that this isn\'t Casey\'s mistake, just a mistake on the PDFs that GSN sent out.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:58:55 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 10:49:21 PM »

If you would like me to link tho the episodes I\'m talking about, I could very easily.  However, I think it\'s fair to say that my reputation here is a little bit better than yours.

Which is to say, you haven\'t withered yours to the point of nonexistence. :)

J.R.

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 10:51:36 PM »

Watching his replacement was like taking the rotting jack o\' lantern that smelled like cowflop and replacing it with literal cowflop.

You know what was funny? For the first couple weeks, just about everyone was singing Karn\'s praises since he was viewed as such a breath of fresh air. Shows just how fatigued people were over the Anderson era.

-Joe Raygor

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 11:01:38 PM »

You know what was funny? For the first couple weeks, just about everyone was singing Karn\'s praises since he was viewed as such a breath of fresh air. Shows just how fatigued people were over the Anderson era.

On a certain other game show forum that love affair lasted quite a bit longer. And God forbid if you spoke out of turn about the flannel man.

It\'s strange how much people will welcome change if the alternative was putrid. With all the issues that this edition of Feud\'s had, I\'m amazed it\'s still airing.

The one thing the combined Louie/Karn era made me appreciate a lot more was the return of Richard Dawson in \'94. And that was a debacle, for the most part, in itself.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 11:16:20 PM »

I was probably one of those people. I think Richard was okay his first season, but the next year was when they started that \"DOUBLE THE POINTS!!!\" crap, and Richard soon became tiring...almost like a caricature of a game show host, or an actor portraying a host. Of course that\'s what he was, but he was more of a stereotypical sitcom game show host.

Honestly, I sometimes have to remind myself that this show really is in its 15th consecutive season....or as long as both Dawson and Combs\' runs combined. I\'m just as surprised Feud didn\'t get canceled in \'04 or \'05 then come back within the last few years. It kinda feels that way sometimes because of the host and format changes. Didn\'t it almost get the ax sometime in the early-2000s?

JMFabiano

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 11:44:11 PM »

I was probably one of those people. I think Richard was okay his first season, but the next year was when they started that \"DOUBLE THE POINTS!!!\" crap, and Richard soon became tiring...almost like a caricature of a game show host, or an actor portraying a host. Of course that\'s what he was, but he was more of a stereotypical sitcom game show host.

Honestly, I sometimes have to remind myself that this show really is in its 15th consecutive season....or as long as both Dawson and Combs\' runs combined. I\'m just as surprised Feud didn\'t get canceled in \'04 or \'05 then come back within the last few years. It kinda feels that way sometimes because of the host and format changes. Didn\'t it almost get the ax sometime in the early-2000s?

I just count each run with each host as separate.  I guess I am in denial about it lasting so long.

I agree about your opinions on Richard Karn, and really, his era of Feud brought back some of the classic elements and look of the show before they went totally retro with O\'Hurley\'s run.  I don\'t know what the \"other\" game show forum a previous poster referred to was, but back when we were over at Usenet, Karn was getting praise.  Of course, that forum was becoming a rotting jack o\'lantern at that time, if I may use someone else\'s comparison in this thread.

Yeah, when the DOUBLE THE POINTS and the crowd applauding for ANYTHING began, it was time for a change again.  I also think Karn was starting to do the same thing brought up earlier with Louie...trying to be funny by going to commercials with a joke referencing the last question.  Too predictable!

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 11:46:18 PM »

I just watched the first segment of a season 3 episode (Louie\'s final season). He\'s just as mediocre as I remembered...had a good one-liner or two, but mostly mumbled, sounded disinterested, and as I remembered, tried to toss to break with a dumb comment based on an answer on the board...he\'d then grumble \"Feud!\"

As for the show, it\'s refreshing to watch an episode from an era where the audience didn\'t cheer over every single thing, and the questions weren\'t front-loaded for the contestants to say \"penis\". Although...I damn near turned the episode off when Burton Richardson wouldn\'t stop yelling at me during the intro.

Better Burton yelling than hearing a spliced 3-4 year old recording of Joey Fatone. 

It\'s funny how spot on your description of Louie is.  Did you try any of his earlier seasons to see if he was better? 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 11:53:06 PM »

Better Burton yelling than hearing a spliced 3-4 year old recording of Joey Fatone. 

False.