Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century Syndicated  (Read 51266 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
$ale of the Century Syndicated
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2013, 08:49:50 PM »

IIRC, syndie SOTC did not air in the NYC area during its original run. I\'m curious to see what they did to make the syndie different from the daytime version.

I remember it being on WABC and (W)WOR for a while...am I wrong, though?

No, I don\'t think you are........I\'m thinking that it aired on one of the slots during the 4-5pm hour on WABC, and (W)WOR I seem to remember aired it at 8:30pm, after their 8pm news..

Yes. 8:30 on channel 9 and 4:30 on channel 7.

There\'s at least one ad WABC put out to promote its pickup of Sale on YouTube. I\'m not sure whose page it was on though.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SuperMatch93

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2013, 10:55:44 PM »
I was looking through some old Chicago Tribune TV listing pages on ProQuest earlier and I noticed that syndie Sale ran at 11:30pm on WLS. I wonder if any other markets ran it late.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2013, 09:30:12 PM »

One thing I\'ve been trying to figure out regarding this edition is the airdates for both first-run episodes, and reruns. I think these might be it, but I\'m not sure.

January 7-June 14, 1985 (Season 1 First-Run)

June 17-September 13, 1985 (Season 1 Reruns)

September 16, 1985-June 13, 1986 (Season 2 First-Run)

June 16-September 12, 1986 (Season 2 Reruns)

An Issue of Broadcasting Magazine said that the Courtroom Drama, The Judge (also from Genesis Entertainment), would debut on local stations on September 15, 1986. This is just speculation, but I believe The Judge may have replaced $ale on the stations that were still carrying it.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:55:52 PM by Vahan_Nisanian »

PYLdude

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2013, 10:00:32 PM »

One thing I\'ve been trying to figure out regarding this edition is the airdates for both first-run episodes, and reruns. I think these might be it, but I\'m not sure.

An Issue of Broadcasting Magazine said that the Courtroom Drama, The Judge (also from Genesis Entertainment), would debut on local stations on September 15, 1986. This is just speculation, but I believe The Judge may have replaced $ale on the stations that were still carrying it.

I\'d say it\'s pretty speculative. At least here, where Sale was replaced by Card Sharks.

And wasn\'t Sale in first run the whole time? Wouldn\'t make a whole lot of sense for it not to be considering the way the show was structured.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Bryce L.

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2013, 03:13:47 AM »

I\'d say it\'s pretty speculative. At least here, where Sale was replaced by Card Sharks.

And wasn\'t Sale in first run the whole time? Wouldn\'t make a whole lot of sense for it not to be considering the way the show was structured.

To me, Matt\'s wording seems to imply there was a break between the first and second seasons... the dates are speculative, I concede that, but I\'d bet there WAS some kind of break over the summer...

PYLdude

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2013, 04:05:34 AM »
But here\'s why I don\'t think they could have had a break. It all has to do with continuity.

Let\'s say the season did end in May/June and you have a champion who hasn\'t won enough to compile the $750 needed to take down the lot. Why break then and wait until September to finish, knowing you don\'t have anything to plug in there but reruns of other normal shows? The daytime Sale could afford to do that because they did a few tourneys and special episodes that they could\'ve reran. The syndie show really didn\'t have that kind of luxury to fall back on. To me you\'re just going to confuse too many people for it to be worth the trouble.

If I\'m wrong so be it, but I can\'t see how it would\'ve done anybody any favors to put Sale in reruns at the end of the first four months it was on.

snowpeck

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2013, 07:04:09 AM »

But here\'s why I don\'t think they could have had a break. It all has to do with continuity.

Let\'s say the season did end in May/June and you have a champion who hasn\'t won enough to compile the $750 needed to take down the lot. Why break then and wait until September to finish, knowing you don\'t have anything to plug in there but reruns of other normal shows? The daytime Sale could afford to do that because they did a few tourneys and special episodes that they could\'ve reran. The syndie show really didn\'t have that kind of luxury to fall back on. To me you\'re just going to confuse too many people for it to be worth the trouble.

If I\'m wrong so be it, but I can\'t see how it would\'ve done anybody any favors to put Sale in reruns at the end of the first four months it was on.

Going by some Variety articles on Proquest, the initial deal was 20 weeks\' worth of episodes with 16 weeks of repeats, which Genesis and Colbert Sales ponied up $2.73 million to cover production costs and didn\'t quite make back. They certainly couldn\'t have afforded a full 36 weeks of originals, so I would hardly call repeats a luxury. A syndicator isn\'t going to care about continuity. Their concern is the cash flow.

Most stations starting running the show on January 7. That calculation would mean the first season ended on May 24 and the second season started on September 16.

The major problem Sale faced was the fact that NBC would only allow Genesis to sell it in prime access slots. That meant not many stations would have openings in their schedules and the ones that did would be putting it up against shows like Wheel or Jeopardy. When Sale was renewed for a second season Genesis got NBC to concede to allowing it to air in the early-fringe hours in 12 test markets in an effort to boost clearances and ratings.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:45:09 AM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2013, 11:17:28 AM »

Trading sites like Ryan Rinkerman\'s for example list Tim Holleran\'s last episode as June 4, 1985. No idea where that came from.

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/rinkerman/S-U.html\'>http://www.angelfire.com/planet/rinkerman/S-U.html

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:19:16 AM by Vahan_Nisanian »

snowpeck

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2013, 11:37:02 AM »

Trading sites like Ryan Rinkerman\'s for example list Tim Holleran\'s last episode as June 4, 1985. No idea where that came from.

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/rinkerman/S-U.html\'>http://www.angelfire.com/planet/rinkerman/S-U.html

Perhaps the station that aired it didn\'t start the series on January 7. One Variety article said \"some stations\" were starting the show as early as that date, but that statement leaves speculation open that some stations started it later. It could also be from a repeat airing, though honestly I don\'t know where in the first season Tim\'s episodes fall.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:45:13 AM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »

I have a childhood memory regarding Syndie $ale that I would like to share.

In 1993, I was a 6-year-old kid, and USA Network was showing reruns of the show. Now at the time, I didn\'t know that it was reruns of the 80\'s series, nor did I know that it lasted from 1983-1989, and that the only thing they ever showed of this series was the last few months of the daytime edition from 1988-1989, and the entire 1985-1986 Syndicated one. After they showed the last few months, the series came on one day, and I remember thinking to myself \"Why did they change the music? And why is the endgame different?\". Their one and only cycle of the Syndicated edition ended in 1994. Just as they started giving those last few daytime months another cycle, they completely dropped it.

It was the same story with when the 1983 episodes of Press Your Luck debuted on USA Network in 1992. I was like \"What the hell? Why did they change Rod Roddy\'s opening? And why does the set look a little different?\". For many of the game shows on USA Network, I actually thought they were brand new episodes.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:59:51 PM by Vahan_Nisanian »

JMFabiano

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2013, 04:01:52 PM »

In 1993, I was a 6-year-old kid, and USA Network was showing reruns of the show. Now at the time, I didn\'t know that it was reruns of the 80\'s series, nor did I know that it lasted from 1983-1989, and that the only thing they ever showed of this series was the last few months of the daytime edition from 1988-1989, and the entire 1985-1986 Syndicated one. After they showed the last few months, the series came on one day, and I remember thinking to myself \"Why did they change the music? And why is the endgame different?\". Their one and only cycle of the Syndicated edition ended in 1994. Just as they started giving those last few daytime months another cycle, they completely dropped it.

It was the same story with when the 1983 episodes of Press Your Luck debuted on USA Network in 1992. I was like \"What the hell? Why did they change Rod Roddy\'s opening? And why does the set look a little different?\". For many of the game shows on USA Network, I actually thought they were brand new episodes.

How far back did they go with 1983 PYL\'s? 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2013, 04:02:29 PM »

I am genuinely curious to know why you wanted to share that.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2013, 04:05:01 PM »

I am genuinely curious to know why you wanted to share that.

Just wanted to see if anyone else here had one. Nothing more.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:06:48 PM by Vahan_Nisanian »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »

Just wanted to see if anyone else here had one. Nothing more.

All right then.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Bryce L.

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2013, 04:27:35 PM »

How far back did they go with 1983 PYL\'s? 

From what I\'ve heard, about as early as in the third week or so on the air... I don\'t think USA ever showed Randy West\'s episodes... going in the other direction, how far forward did they get into the 1986 shows? I don\'t think they ran any of the Sept. \'86 shows...