Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century Syndicated  (Read 51299 times)

JMFabiano

$ale of the Century Syndicated
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2013, 09:40:05 PM »

Also of note, that Saturday, GSN is airing the final episode of Password Plus as well.

Odd that they\'re going back from 801 (the final ep) to 790 (from just a couple of weeks before).  Did GSN not air that week in their current run?

If 790 is the last ep. from the Jack Narz/Steven Ford week, it just aired on October 19. The Narz/Ford week was shown in its entirety.

The PDF lists it as Edie McClurg/Gene Rayburn.

Going through my DVR, this makes some sense.  GSN showed 6 eps. with McClurg and Rayburn, starting on 10/20.

Didn\'t this lease start with White/Philbin (Sajak?)? 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

cyclone45

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2013, 11:27:43 PM »

Interesting to note, is that Buzzerblog hasn\'t reported this huge news yet. Alex is usually right on top of this!

It\'s not really huge news though.

How could Syndie $otc NOT be huge news, PYLdude?

gamed121683

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2013, 11:37:57 PM »

I thought that whole \"Everything of daytime Sale before Fall \'88 was wiped\" rumor was pretty much debunked at some point...

The source of the rumor was someone who actually worked on the show (the late Mitt Dawson) and all anybody else could come up with for the other side was that they doubted its validity. There\'s never been any proof one way or the other.

For what it\'s worth, every single episode of $ale\'s sister show, Scrabble, exists. Both 1984-1990 and 1993 runs.

, every single episode of $ale\'s sister show, Scrabble, exists. Both 1984-1990 and 1993 runs.

I personally made that same argument when this topic came up on a Facebook discussion group I\'m in... why would Grundy keep one show and not the other?

I guess it\'s just one of life\'s mysteries that will remain unsolved forever.

But you know what? I just don\'t care anymore if Mitt Dawson was correct in his statement or not. After hearing about the entire 1983-1984 Dream House run destroyed in a flood, I have pretty much moved on from that phase. To quote the title of a popular Beatles song, \"Let it Be\".

+1. Let\'s just be thankful for what we\'ve got.

/\"Diamond in the back, sunroof top, diggin\' the scene with a gangsta lean, wooh-ooh-ooh...\"

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:38:11 PM by gamed121683 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2013, 11:45:50 PM »

Interesting to note, is that Buzzerblog hasn\'t reported this huge news yet. Alex is usually right on top of this!

You really have a tendency to get worked up over the slightest thing. GSN announcing that they picked up the show itself (or the last six months of it) was a big deal, considering it hadn\'t aired on TV anywhere in close to 20 years. Them uncovering another season is nice, but is not earth-shattering breaking news.

Let Alex do his job and he\'ll report it when he\'s ready...I\'m pretty sure he knows what he\'s doing.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:46:13 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 01:02:19 AM »

Mr. Ottinger, what was the number of the episode you were on of this edition?

cyclone45

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 02:03:32 AM »

You really have a tendency to get worked up over the slightest thing. GSN announcing that they picked up the show itself (or the last six months of it) was a big deal, considering it hadn\'t aired on TV anywhere in close to 20 years. Them uncovering another season is nice, but is not earth-shattering breaking news.

Let Alex do his job and he\'ll report it when he\'s ready...I\'m pretty sure he knows what he\'s doing

Sigh, I suppose one man\'s \"meh\" is another man\'s excitement, as the expression goes. I\'m STOKED over this, as we haven\'t seen shopping or winner\'s board $otC since, what, \'88? There\'s a reason I get worked up, but I really would rather discuss that in PM, if you don\'t mind.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 03:30:44 AM »

If it was picking up the full run it\'s good news. But it isn\'t a big story any way you slice it. Now if there were episodes that miraculously resurfaced from the 1970s then it\'d be big news. But not this.

Would I like to see those shows again? I haven\'t in 20 years so sure. But I\'m not gonna cream my jeans over it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 09:28:02 AM »

To be honest, this is a huge news story. Not just because it\'s Syndie Sale though, but because it is GSN\'s Thanksgiving plans. You could even add on top of it that Ray Combs will return for two airings and Louie Anderson will be on for the first time. All of that combined makes it a huge story (in terms of our microcosm).

However, there\'s a little over two weeks left until Thanksgiving. He\'s got plenty of time to report and of course he\'s going to because he usually writes about GSN\'s holiday marathon plans. I\'m sure he\'s aware and I\'m sure he\'s on it.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2013, 11:09:36 AM »

Mr. Ottinger, what was the number of the episode you were on of this edition?

I have no idea.  It was in the final week of the first syndicated season.  They weren\'t sure yet at the time about a renewal, so they made a point to tell us that whoever won Friday\'s show was free to say that he wanted to play on (this of course was the shopping era), but that if the show ended up not returning, that player would receive the prize associated with whatever level he had reached.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BillCullen1

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2013, 12:31:15 PM »
IIRC, syndie SOTC did not air in the NYC area during its original run. I\'m curious to see what they did to make the syndie different from the daytime version.

JMFabiano

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »

IIRC, syndie SOTC did not air in the NYC area during its original run. I\'m curious to see what they did to make the syndie different from the daytime version.

I remember it being on WABC and (W)WOR for a while...am I wrong, though?

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2013, 01:42:06 PM »

A list of things that distinguish the Daytime edition from the Syndicated one:

http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php?showtopic=24654\' title=\"\">http://www.gameshowf...showtopic=24654

Most importantly, was the shopping round. On the daytime show, the second-to-last level was strictly the growing cash jackpot (started at $50,000, increased by $1,000 each time it was not claimed); the Syndicated show had all the prizes, except for the cash jackpot on that same level. The Syndicated show got it right; why they daytime show didn\'t do the same is beyond me.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »

The Syndicated show got it right; why they daytime show didn\'t do the same is beyond me.

That\'s certainly your opinion. I bet the daytime contestants who scooped a cash jackpot liked the daytime prize path.
Travis L. Eberle

aaron sica

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »

I remember it being on WABC and (W)WOR for a while...am I wrong, though?

No, I don\'t think you are........I\'m thinking that it aired on one of the slots during the 4-5pm hour on WABC, and (W)WOR I seem to remember aired it at 8:30pm, after their 8pm news..

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2013, 06:20:14 PM »

When Syndie $ale began on January 7, 1985, it was seen on 24 different stations. WXYZ-TV Detroit was one of them.