Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN honoring Marcia Wallace on 11/1  (Read 6140 times)

aaron sica

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:45:08 PM by aaron sica »

daveromanjr

GSN honoring Marcia Wallace on 11/1
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 02:03:15 PM »

I\'m glad the network still does stuff like this, good job GSN!

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 02:03:51 PM »

Yes, same here. It shows compassion from them.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 06:15:36 PM »

I wasn\'t sure if she\'d get a tribute. She wasn\'t as big as Dick Clark or Richard Dawson, but she wasn\'t as obscure as Charlton Heston or the other random celebrities GSN would tribute years ago.

Very glad to see them do this for her.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »

I wonder how many younger Simpsons viewers (say those born after the show premiered in 1989) recognized the character\'s name but not Marcia\'s itself. I then wonder whether they might tune in just to see what exactly Mrs. Krabappel looked like in real life.

Or was that the kind of thing only a weirdo like me would\'ve done?

ObSimpsons: when Comedy Central showed Rhoda reruns back in the mid-90s, I remember Penn Jillette doing voiceover previews, telling you that you can finally see what Marge Simpson looks like. :-P

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:23:12 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 05:39:35 AM »

I wonder how many younger Simpsons viewers (say those born after the show premiered in 1989) recognized the character\'s name but not Marcia\'s itself. I then wonder whether they might tune in just to see what exactly Mrs. Krabappel looked like in real life.

Or was that the kind of thing only a weirdo like me would\'ve done?

As a 1990 baby, I initially only knew Marcia Wallace as Edna Krabappel and was unaware of her previous career, but I did know her by her real name. I remember being taken aback when watching an episode of Match game and there she was.

If I remember correctly, David Doyle also appeared on Match Game, who someone my age might remember as Grandpa Lou from \"Rugrats\".

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 09:34:04 AM »

If I remember correctly, David Doyle also appeared on Match Game, who someone my age might remember as Grandpa Lou from \"Rugrats\".

You do remember correctly, usually in the daily syndie era. I think he commonly sat in the upper left...or was it the McLean/Bill Daily chair?

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 11:08:37 AM »

You do remember correctly, usually in the daily syndie era. I think he commonly sat in the upper left...or was it the McLean/Bill Daily chair?

Yep, upper left. I prefer to think of it as the Jack Narz Memorial Seat.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/cullen/tvseries/zguest1g.jpg\'>Would like a word with you.

It fascinates me that Marcia Wallace and David Doyle would possibly be better known for their cartoon voice work than for their iconic 70s TV roles, but I guess I\'m just getting old.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:59:04 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BillCullen1

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 01:28:18 PM »
Nice that GSN is doing this. I\'ll be sure to Tivo a couple of shows since I\'ll be away.

Pyramid80

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 05:33:28 PM »

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/cullen/tvseries/zguest1g.jpg\'>Would like a word with you.

It fascinates me that Marcia Wallace and David Doyle would possibly be better known for their cartoon voice work than for their iconic 70s TV roles, but I guess I\'m just getting old.

I was thinking the same thing Matt.  I am an 80\'s baby, but I would definitely know these two more for their characters Carol and Bosley.  I learned something new...I never knew that David Doyle did cartoon voice work.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 09:56:29 PM »

As I said to a few people upon hearing of Marcia\'s death, while I (and possibly they) may know her more for The Bob Newhart Show, if she had not been a Simpsons voice, her death probably would have received very little coverage and might have taken a few days to get reported.

Not being a Charlie\'s Angels fan, I recognized David Doyle\'s distinctive voice on Rugrats because of his many game show appearances.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 08:37:21 AM »

For the record, first two MG episodes were 626-627 (OAD:  1/13-14/76).  Guessing they\'ll continue with 628 and 629 for the next hour.

I met Ms. Wallace a few years back at an autograph show.  She was a very sweet lady.

Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

That Don Guy

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 01:35:43 AM »

I wonder why GSN chose those particular episodes - especially the $100,000 Pyramid ones where she didn\'t appear in the Winners Circle at all.  (I did notice that each show started with a Monday episode.)

Side note: I couldn\'t find Michael Spound in the Encyclopedia of Prime-Time Network and Cable TV Shows for anything besides Hotel, so I checked IMDB; the only time he has played the same character more than twice since then is five episodes of Days of Our Lives in 2007.

Jay Temple

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »

The first thing I thought of with $100KP was her line, \"Don\'t you, Dick Clark, have something to do with music? Call me crazy.\" They probably chose that episode for that reason. I noticed that all the episodes of each show were consecutive. That show being on a Monday left them no other options. (Of course, to me that just says that they shouldn\'t have stuck to consecutive shows.)

Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.