Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker to return to Price on December 12  (Read 42323 times)

Matt Ottinger

Barker to return to Price on December 12
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2013, 06:44:36 PM »

Does your copy have the insert about Twenty One in it? There\'s a little slip in mine with the header \"erratum\" explaining how one of the people said to have been charged in the scandals was actually acquitted. Or words to that effect. I can check my copy when I get home.

-Jason

Please do.  Even more intrigued because no, my copy didn\'t have that and I never heard about this before.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JMFabiano

« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2013, 08:25:43 PM »

The incident which told it all to me was the episode that featured the 1st edition of the encyclopedia with the cover pic of Cullen TPIR, which Bob, on camera, ripped off the display and tossed the to the floor.

From what I\'ve read over the years, it wasn\'t so much \"Cullen was on the cover\" (as you seem to be suggesting, and I apologize in advance if I\'m wrong on that) as it was \"Barker wasn\'t on the cover\".

Ah, shades of Richard Dawson and the TV Guide cover issue.

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

whewfan

« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2013, 08:37:40 PM »

Yeah, I remember reading that TV Guide article, and they commented about Richard\'s ego. They had some mention of him going off over burnt out lightbulbs on the set.

Richard actually commented briefly about the TV Guide article on Family Feud, and while he didn\'t exactly say WHY he declined to be interviewed, he said he felt the attack of him in the article was a result of him refusing to be part of the article. It was obvious his rant was edited, as he said more than what made it on the air. 

whewfan

« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2013, 08:39:28 PM »

One more thing, it\'s interesting that inaccuracies were discovered in Come On Down!... from what I remember reading it, I was more astonished by the great photos than anything else. If you want TRUE inaccuracies, look no further than The Game Show Almanac... 

BrandonFG

« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2013, 08:48:28 PM »

Come on Down definitely had its share of inaccuracies, mainly dates of shows airing, and consistently calling Chuck Woolery \"Chuck Wollery\". There was some other stuff, but those definitely stood out.

From what I remember, my impression at the time was that The Game Show Almanac appeared to borrow quite heavily from Come on Down. It\'s been close to 20 years since I\'ve read either one, but I def. recall reading the former and remembering a lot of stuff that was in COD.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:48:39 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2013, 11:20:47 PM »

The card reads:

\"ERRATUM

Information that appears on page 32 is incorrect.

Although \"Twenty-One\" producer Albert Freed-

man was charged with two counts of perjury, the

charges were dropped, and he never served any

time in jail.\"

-Jason

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 12:08:28 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2013, 12:29:28 AM »
Come on Down definitely had its share of inaccuracies [...] consistently calling Chuck Woolery "Chuck Wollery".
To be fair to Jefferson Graham, he only spread the misspelling -- from what I can tell, the whole "Wollery" thing began around August 1976.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:43:45 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

aaron sica

« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2013, 12:35:34 AM »

Come on Down definitely had its share of inaccuracies [...] consistently calling Chuck Woolery \"Chuck Wollery\".

To be fair to Jefferson Graham, he only spread the misspelling -- from what I can tell, the whole \"Wollery\" thing began around http://www.varietyultimate.com/search/?search=Chuck+Wollery&startYear=1975&endYear=1977\'>August 1976.

I don\'t think it\'s really a \"thing\" though....More like a common misspelling.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2013, 01:02:26 AM »

To be fair to Jefferson Graham, he only spread the misspelling -- from what I can tell, the whole \"Wollery\" thing began around http://www.varietyultimate.com/search/?search=Chuck+Wollery&startYear=1975&endYear=1977\'>August 1976.

To be fair to, well, every other writer of non-fiction, be they reporters, biographers, bloggers, general authors, whatever: you check your farking facts. All of them. Every time.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Allstar87

« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2013, 03:03:47 AM »

If you want TRUE inaccuracies, look no further than The Game Show Almanac... 

I think I had that one at one point...IIRC, it had two different debut years for Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego...both of them wrong...and it called Bruce Forsyth\'s Hot Streak \"a Family Feud clone hosted by an Australian game show host.\" 

BrandonFG

« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2013, 09:20:40 AM »

Come on Down definitely had its share of inaccuracies [...] consistently calling Chuck Woolery \"Chuck Wollery\".

Sure, that\'s \"fair\" (I suppose). It still went to print with a typo. Doesn\'t matter where it supposedly began (and I seriously doubt it was from an obscure Variety article from a decade prior), his name has two Os, one L. Hell, his name was displayed in the Scrabble credits on a daily basis. Maybe Mr. Graham did have it stuck in his head that it was Wollery...doesn\'t change the fact that someone in the editor\'s office should\'ve caught that, regardless of where he got the idea.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:21:21 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SamJ93

« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »

So this happened yesterday, and even though Bob didn\'t get a whole lot of screen time it went pretty well.  He still sounded pretty sharp overall, but was moving noticeably slower.

It was a nice touch to play the old version of the theme for his entrance.

I was disappointed that he didn\'t actually get to host any part of the show.  They missed a golden opportunity to have him do the 37 hours joke in Range Game one last time.  (Yes, I know the joke was way beyond stale by the time he left, but it still would have been a nice tribute.) As mentioned above though, perhaps his mobility (or lack thereof) was an issue.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:13:18 PM by SamJ93 »
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2013, 07:49:44 PM »

I was disappointed that he didn\'t actually get to host any part of the show.

Man, I wasn\'t. Really, really wasn\'t.

They missed a golden opportunity to have him do the 37 hours joke in Range Game one last time.

\"Golden\" is not really the word I would use to describe that opportunity.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dale_grass

« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2013, 09:01:01 PM »
Yeah, Bob\'s showing his age. Nice to see him again, but if they bring him back for his 100th they\'ll have to schedule Lucky 7 and push him out with the car.

Don Howard

« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2013, 10:00:53 PM »

If you want TRUE inaccuracies, look no further than The Game Show Almanac... 

I think I had that one at one point...IIRC, it had two different debut years for Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego...both of them wrong...and it called Bruce Forsyth\'s Hot Streak \"a Family Feud clone hosted by an Australian game show host.\" 

Yes. And the book claimed that Spin-Off and Give-n-Take had the same rules. Waste of money.