Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contestants Becoming Ill Mid-Game  (Read 17537 times)

Mr. Armadillo

Contestants Becoming Ill Mid-Game
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 09:08:25 AM »

If we\'re including injuries, there were a number of contestants throughout American Gladiators\' run who sustained an injury and had to leave mid-game, usually to be replaced by an alternate who inherited their score to that point.

Yeah, but like it was stated, you have to come to expect that in physical competitions. It\'s not like they\'re competing to answer questions on AG.

Although if you had to run the Assault course while answering questions it would make for an interesting quizzer (if for nothing else but curiosity factor).

Gladiators 2000 did this with the Eliminator.  Close enough?

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:08:46 AM by Mr. Armadillo »

gameboy2000

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 09:29:33 AM »

There was once a contestant on Global GUTS who became injured after the second event and had to be replaced with another contestant who took over her score.

gameboy2000.weebly.com

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 01:06:30 PM »
If we're including injuries, there were a number of contestants throughout American Gladiators' run who sustained an injury and had to leave mid-game, usually to be replaced by an alternate who inherited their score to that point.
There was at least one Gladiator (Sunny, during the first half of Season 1) who had this happen, thanks to an elevated Conquer ring that was only used once. Put simply, Sunny was pushed off the Conquer ring and her right leg bent in a way it shouldn't have -- she ended up with a dislocated knee and was out for the rest of the season.

After a commercial break, they immediately went back to using the mat.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:20:45 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 08:20:43 PM »

If we\'re including injuries, there were a number of contestants throughout American Gladiators\' run who sustained an injury and had to leave mid-game, usually to be replaced by an alternate who inherited their score to that point.

Yeah, but like it was stated, you have to come to expect that in physical competitions. It\'s not like they\'re competing to answer questions on AG.

Although if you had to run the Assault course while answering questions it would make for an interesting quizzer (if for nothing else but curiosity factor).

Gladiators 2000 did this with the Eliminator.  Close enough?

Ehh. Not as much. Largely due to the necessary lack of physical contact that Gladiators 2000 had.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

That Don Guy

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 12:15:27 PM »

I remember this from a GSN rerun, there was a 70s-era \"Family Feud\" where a VERY old man was one of the contestants, and Richard led off by saying something like \"Let us know if you\'re okay,\" which I thought was an odd thing to say. Late in the game, Richard comes to the old man and he has his head down, resting on his hand. Richard looks at him, turns to the folks off-stage, and yells \"Don\'t sound the buzzer! This isn\'t a strike!\" and walks right past him and goes to the next contestant in line.

That\'s the one that popped into my head when I read the first post.  I can\'t think of any other mid-episode occurrences; I do know about the ABC Dream House with the couple that couldn\'t return as the wife went into labor between shows, and I read about an episode of 1950s Name That Tune where a contestant wouldn\'t come back because she had to sing in her church choir.

Speaking of Feud, what about the episode where Richard had to be replaced in the middle of the episode?

CeleTheRef

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 07:14:24 PM »

tvwxman

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2013, 10:20:11 AM »

Speaking of Feud, what about the episode where Richard had to be replaced in the middle of the episode?

Wait - what? By who?

-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2013, 12:17:26 PM »

He stepped out on one show because his back brace was slipping and he didn\'t want to stop tape. So staffer Caryn Lucas hosted the final questions of the game, and Richard came back for Fast Money. Happens around 16 minutes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF_vprYt7qw\'>in this link.

-Jason

Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2013, 12:59:22 PM »

He stepped out on one show because his back brace was slipping and he didn\'t want to stop tape.

Talk about a different era.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kniwt

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2013, 10:54:38 PM »

So staffer Caryn Lucas hosted the final questions of the game

I, too, had no idea. But, wow, she did quite an excellent job!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2013, 08:45:43 PM »

When it comes to fainting, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRYXSkH2LNE\'>Aileen and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H3iFN35vFo\'>Maryella from TPIR immediately come to mind.

Also, didn\'t a contestant break their arm during an episode of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? and someone else had to come in and run the map for her?

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »

When it comes to fainting, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRYXSkH2LNE\'>Aileen and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H3iFN35vFo\'>Maryella from TPIR immediately come to mind.

Also, didn\'t a contestant break their arm during an episode of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? and someone else had to come in and run the map for her?

I\'m still waiting for definitive proof of that. I consider anything other than an actual clip from the show hearsay.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

rjaguar3

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2013, 09:22:48 AM »

I\'m still waiting for definitive proof of that. I consider anything other than an actual clip from the show hearsay.

I got that e-mail from a WGBH employee confirming the existence of the episode and the fact that it didn\'t air due to a contestant becoming injured.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »
That\'s terrific but because of that wildly implausible (and not all that well written) fan fiction deal I\'m still not convinced.
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »

He stepped out on one show because his back brace was slipping and he didn\'t want to stop tape.

Talk about a different era.

Wasn\'t this Richard more than anything else? I remember him saying in an interview a few years back that he hated to stop tape because it killed the energy in the studio. I think this would also explain that one game where they played Fast Money on cue cards because the board was b0rked.

Bobby Peacock