Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contestants Becoming Ill Mid-Game  (Read 17590 times)

Jay Temple

Contestants Becoming Ill Mid-Game
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »

Spin-off question: Aside from the above example and the situation with \"$100,000 Pyramid\" champ Keefe Ferrandini being friends with guest celeb Terry Lester and having to sit out a week, can anyone think of other examples of returning contestants having to skip a taping because they knew one of the stars personally?

I know one time the contestant coordinator on Password really dropped the ball and paired the male celebrity, a sportswriter, with his roommate.

\\ducks from flying tomatoes

Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

pyrfan

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 04:45:01 PM »

Yeah, wasn\'t that contestant\'s name Aristophanes?

joker316

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 06:02:46 PM »

Ridiculous!!!

Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

JepMasta

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »

I remember a story of a contestant on double dare suffering a broken nose during a physical challenge, and was replaced mid game.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 10:51:43 PM »

I remember this from a GSN rerun, there was a 70s-era \"Family Feud\" where a VERY old man was one of the contestants, and Richard led off by saying something like \"Let us know if you\'re okay,\" which I thought was an odd thing to say. Late in the game, Richard comes to the old man and he has his head down, resting on his hand. Richard looks at him, turns to the folks off-stage, and yells \"Don\'t sound the buzzer! This isn\'t a strike!\" and walks right past him and goes to the next contestant in line.

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 11:06:26 PM »

Spin-off question: Aside from the above example and the situation with \"$100,000 Pyramid\" champ Keefe Ferrandini being friends with guest celeb Terry Lester and having to sit out a week, can anyone think of other examples of returning contestants having to skip a taping because they knew one of the stars personally?

Another Squares incident, where a man who sang in the same church choir as Days of Our Lives\' Bill & Susan (Seaforth) Hayes had to stand down for a week.

Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 06:11:39 AM »

Seems like in the past couple years, I\'ve seen a couple ill contestants on Wheel. I remember one contestant whose voice sounded really rough, and she said that she had a sore throat. Another said at the end of the game that she played the entire thing with an upset stomach.

Bobby Peacock

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 12:11:27 PM »

I didn\'t fall ill, but I easily could\'ve. I was dead tired for my episodes of 1 vs. 100. It had been a long day. I got there at 10:45 a.m., and ate a sandwich, waited, watched the show in the audience, watched the show backstage. By the time I got to play, it was 10:30 p.m. I hadn\'t had any coffee since I left home. I felt like I could\'ve fallen asleep at any minute. But the adrenaline of being on a game show for the first time just kept me up. After all the promos and paperwork, it was 1:00 a.m.

And I still drove the 25 miles back home. And went to work the next day at 8:00 a.m.

(Hey, I\'ve got an old-man story to tell the nieces, nephews...)

--Charlie

"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »

Charlie, not to get too far off from the thread, how did you do on the show, and was it the NBC or GSN version? Considering how it took roughly 15 hours to tape two or three episodes, I\'m guessing the former. ;-)

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Mr. Brown

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 10:37:22 PM »
What about that guy who got injured on The Price is Right while playing Dice Game?

Granted, he still got to play the rest of the show, sitting in a rolling desk chair.

Also, I swear there was an instance where somebody was allowed to sub out their spouse or something, also on Price is Right. I could just be making stuff up, though.
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 10:50:13 PM »

If we\'re including injuries, there were a number of contestants throughout American Gladiators\' run who sustained an injury and had to leave mid-game, usually to be replaced by an alternate who inherited their score to that point.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 11:06:54 PM »
Which is to be expected when the game show is one of athletics, isn\'t it? Much more so than on a quiz.
Travis L. Eberle

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 11:25:34 PM »

Charlie, not to get too far off from the thread, how did you do on the show, and was it the NBC or GSN version? Considering how it took roughly 15 hours to tape two or three episodes, I\'m guessing the former. ;-)

The NBC version with Bob Saget. Taped in August 2006, aired in November. I won about $250 (when Monique lost her game). This was also the end of the first appearance of Sister Rose.

(Anyone have a Youtube link of epsiodes 104 and/or 105? I couldn\'t find one.)

--Charlie

"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 11:58:32 PM »

If we\'re including injuries, there were a number of contestants throughout American Gladiators\' run who sustained an injury and had to leave mid-game, usually to be replaced by an alternate who inherited their score to that point.

Yeah, but like it was stated, you have to come to expect that in physical competitions. It\'s not like they\'re competing to answer questions on AG.

Although if you had to run the Assault course while answering questions it would make for an interesting quizzer (if for nothing else but curiosity factor).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Robbo

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 08:29:05 AM »
A bit more extreme than the original topic, but I remember a story that the French version of Survivor had to suspend the taping of a recent season because one of the contestants died while filming.